• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

mwcarper13

Reaction score
What's going on with the coloring of mine? I've had them about 5 months and only one shoe looks like this. It looks like it's blackened: is this due to the dye coming off? The leather?

nevereast

Reaction score
What's going on with the coloring of mine? I've had them about 5 months and only one shoe looks like this. It looks like it's blackened: is this due to the dye coming off? The leather?

Yes, the dye is coming off. What have you in terms of care or conditioning and where did you purchase them?

cthip

Reaction score
That looks like normal patina to me. I have a pair of Aldens in brown chromexcel that did the same "nearly black" thing, and other areas where I was sure I had scuffed them permanently. My black wolverines would scuff deep enough for brown leather to show through.

They always returned to normal after a quick wipe with a conditioner. I use Lexol but practically any boot oil should work.

Reaction score
Mine are doing the same too. Black stuff that I can scrape away with a nail, but sometimes leaves a scar on the leather. Mainly on the toes. Worried for a while, but don't even think about it any more.

Iipe

Reaction score
Many irregularities that show up on leather can be treated with a horse hair brush. Have you tried that on those black stains? Don't use your fingernails. Brushing makes wonders especially on a leather like Chromexcel that is stuffed with oils.

Last edited:

mwcarper13

Reaction score
Purchased them from a seller on Amazon. I've used mostly Obernauf's leather oil and LP. The darkening started happening within a month.

Pepitopepperoni

Reaction score
Hi,

I love my pair of Chippewa 6" Service boots and now I am looking into am looking foro a similar boot but with a leather sole. I think I like the Wolverine 1000 Mile best. Two questions:

1) how long will they last if they are taken care of? How long have some of you had a pair?

2) Does anybody own both the chippewas and the Wolverines? If yes, will I need the same size on both boots or is one brand notiveably smaller or bigger?

thanks!

Herbert

OldState

Reaction score
I'm no expert with these boots other than owning a pair in Rust for the past few months.

That said I have owned many pairs of OILED leather boots in my life and higher quality leather boots (both for backpacking and casual wear). I think this is simply what oiled leathers look like. Reapply oil and see if it goes away.

When mine were brand new applying finger pressure on the back side of the leather would cause it to lighten, but it would then disapear

yumacool

Reaction score
I own a Chippewa Apache Lacer in size 10.5D that is a rugged boot which I use mostly for outdoor work situations. It has a lugged vibram sole and is a nice boot with good leather. I recommend it. I also own a Wolverine 1000 Mile boot in black in the same size that has a smooth sole, which makes it not as good for gripping in rough terrain. However, it is a quality boot and I like it a lot. I tend to wear it more in day-to-day situations when I don't need the aggressiveness the Chippewa offers. Also, the Chippewa gets beat up from work outside. I really like both boots and feel there is a place for both.

velvel87

Reaction score
This is probably a silly question but what is the purpose/proper use for the Rowan 1000 mile boot? Is it for hiking, urban, hunting? Can I wear it in the rain? Is it comfortable for long walks? Looking for something I can wear in casual settings and when the weather is a little gross, but does this fit the bill? Thanks!

sheebal

Reaction score
Hi guys, been lurking this thread before joining and making my first post.

Went ahead and bought the Wolverine 1000 mile in Rust. Had the soles padded by one of the best boot makers in Los Angeles to not slip in the ice/snow.

Here are the pictures of the vibram done to the soles, stitched

Heels done as well to get rebalancing in proportion to the new soles

Amazed at his stitch work whereas cobblers simply put superglue and leave it on. I'm just leaving his Instagram here because he seems to be an honest guy, down-to-earth boot maker.

IIRC, he said he does these resoling via mail as well, so for those looking to look for quality stitched work, not superglued work, here's his Instagram

https://instagram.com/brianthebootmaker/

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads