• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

SP1259

Reaction score
Thought I should post this here as well since I put it on Reddit a couple days ago:
I recently picked up a pair of Wolvering 1000 Mile Centennial boots in tan during Bloomingdale's tiered sale event. Given that I regularly mine reddit, styleforum, etc to research purchases before I buy things, I figured this may help someone as well.

Sizing
I wear an 8D in most dress shoes (majority of my collection being Allen Edmonds), and my Allen Edmonds boots are in 8D as well. The Original Chippewas I briefly had in my possession were in 8D, which were probably a full size bigger than what would have fit me in thick thick socks (no 7 or 7.5 was available at the time). I ordered these 1000 Mile in both 7D and 7.5D based on sizing recommendations for other 1000 Mile boots. I had heard that the Centennial version was built on a different last than the regular 1000 Mile, but I haven't found an official confirmation as such.
Putting the 7.5D on I was initially a bit worried they were too small. The width was fine, but I have a high instep and felt the tongue squeezing me a bit. After I loosened the laces a bit they felt much better (wearing medium weight socks). Walking there is a touch of heel slip, and the flex point seems to line up well w/ the wide point of the boot.

Color
Wolverine's tan bison is fairly close to what other shoemakers may call walnut. The pictures are all taken in daylight without flash, as well as white balance corrected to my screen. To me, there aren't a lot of traditional boot colors that aren't beautiful. You can judge for yourself, but I like it. Especially for a casual boot the tan works beautifully.

Quality/Construction
This is my first pair of grained leather boots/shoes, the rest being smooth calf - and certainly my first experience with bison/buffalo. It is quite a bit more pliable and soft in hand out of the box than my AE calfskin shoes/boots. Thickness of the leather is on par with my AE's. On the medial side of the R boot, you can also see some slight natural creasing that you can't make out on most at most angles. There is a heel pad of bison leather as well.
Stitching is generally good, though I'd say not as meticulous as my AE's. The welt stitching is pretty even, and there are a lot of lines that are double or triple stitched. There are several loose ends at random points, which shouldn't affect the boot structurally, but obviously are not ideal. On a dressier boot it would annoy me. As it is, I don't really care but it should be mentioned.
The sole is butyl with a rubber heel. Personally, I think it would have been more fitting to put a mini lug on the whole thing or a dainite sole, but that is a question of style more than what is right or wrong.

Overall impressions
The 1000 Mile boot, in its range of styles, is one of the most discussed and ubiquitous boots in the mid-tier menswear world. This version of it is a nice twist on the original tried-and-true model. The boot, like its standard model, gives off a rugged but dressed-up vibe that works well. One particular issue that affects me having smaller sized feet is that it tends to make shoes look stubbier, especially when under the cuff. Given that work-inspired boots tend to have a more bulbous style toe, this combination can often kill the entire look for me. Luckily, the 1000 Mile has a surprisingly svelte toe box, and cuts a good line in profile and from above. Compared to Original Chippewa boots I tried on, the toe box on the 1000 Mile has a much better shape.
They are listed at $400, which I would not have paid for them. At a discount (of which I paid about half), I'm very pleased with them, despite the minor issues as noted above. Hope this will be helpful to some, as the other 1000 Mile Centennial review was to me as well.

Thanks for this post. It actually convinced me to go with the Buffalo Tan, which I hope looks as it does in your pics vs some of the images I've seen elsewhere that make it look much more yellowish.

Bronson15

Reaction score
Nordstrom has the McClean on sale again. $237.85 for cap toe 1000 Miles, and I happen to like the open-lacing pattern much more than the $380 Rockfords.
Not that these aren't worth it, but it kinda stings seeing sales like this when you paid full price.

With nice boots (1k, Alden, AE) are there usually crazy sales? I'll be more informed on prices whenever I pick up another pair.

jon4rd

Reaction score

Not that these aren't worth it, but it kinda stings seeing sales like this when you paid full price.

With nice boots (1k, Alden, AE) are there usually crazy sales? I'll be more informed on prices whenever I pick up another pair.

There are always sales on AE and 1ks. Just have to be on the lookout for them. Not too sure about sales on Alden's maybe someone else could chime in

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i just got 1k's (firsts) for $160 shipped.

Mead

Reaction score
The tan centenials are nice, I like the fact that they are lined. I think the regular 1000 mile should be avalaible in a lined version and a rubber sole version.

pojosamaneo

Reaction score
Quick question, I'm about to leave to do some shopping...where can I try on 1000 mile boots? I hate buying multiple sizes online and returning the ones that don't fit (seems like such a waste), so I'd like to try on some in-store.

I live in Louisiana if that helps, but I'm thinking bigger stores.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
andddd they just arrived

http://imgur.com/a/OoQOI#LJdoUv7

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads