• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

chrispy650

Reaction score
Just got a pair of rust 1k's in. Haven't had a chance to wear them out yet. I have a bottle of Venetian Shoe Cream and was wondering if it's recommended to put it on the boots out of the box or should they be fine without it?

nevereast

Reaction score

Thanks -- seeing if I can find them for a little bit better price.  Does anyone know the MFG # of the Austen's?  That way I can call a few local shops too and see if anyone has old stock..

BZwnGoK.jpg

zxing

Reaction score
So my dumbass cobbler "cleaned" up my 1000 Miles with brown shoe polish without my permission after I took them in to get a half sole. Now they are this nasty, glossy shade of brown. The leather exhibits no wear or pull-up whatsoever and looks like it has been painted. Makes the shoes look like cheap plastic. Is there any way to remove the shoe polish and restore the original leather patina or am I screwed?

Neognosis

Reaction score
You should have let your "dumbass" cobbler know that you were intentionally trying to make your boots look like they are 10 years old and belong to a hobo.

Last edited:

Mr M

Reaction score
Same thing almost happen to mine. But I insist watching him installing the half-sole.

unchangeable

Reaction score

Factory First. Wolverine customer support has dropped off the face of the earth on me twice, now. Am I being unreasonable to want these replaced?
I realize that the glue is *supposed* to hold when the stitches are gone, but the first thing the cobbler will need to do to put a vibram on these new boots is grind off the stitching.
These are supposed to last a lifetime, and if Wolverine won't own up to their lousy QC now, they sure won't take care of me down the road if the glue fails too.

I own 3 pair and there is no denying their comfort, but Red Wing puts them to absolute shame in terms of both QC and customer service.

edit: Same boots as in my first post. I decided I was being ridiculous about the banding on the leather and decided to keep them. Stuck them back in the box to get vibram's on at a later date, which was going to be 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Pecan89

Reaction score
My cobbler got gunk all over the sides of my boots I assume its the adhesive from the topy. Its not the end of the world but still

Last edited:

Neognosis

Reaction score
Quote:
I don't think that's true. I think the name 1000 Mile is a good indication of just about how long they will last... about a year if you wear them daily and walk 3 miles or so each day.

That's a bit of hyperbole there.

phobs

Reaction score
not sure if this is a common problem but both my half leather insoles fell apart. i tried to glue it back but it continues to separate since the foam does not adhere well. any ideas besides taking it to a cobbler or buying a full insole? i would only like to repair it

lq1xQOS.jpg

Last edited:

mg2380

Reaction score
not sure if this is a common problem but both my half leather insoles fell apart. i tried to glue it back but it continues to separate since the foam does not adhere well. any ideas besides taking it to a cobbler or buying a full insole? i would only like to repair it

lq1xQOS.jpg
I'd throw a thin insole in and be done with it.

Here are some options:

http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals/carbon-73511

http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals/black

Less pricey options:

https://www.spenco.com/product.aspx?keywords=thin&ProdId=57#.U6htW5RdXTo

https://sofsole.com/product/Thin_Fit

phobs

Reaction score

gotcha, thanks! im gonna cop a set to see if i like them in my wolverines. if anything, they will go into my casual work shoes

That's not the insole, but the heel pad. It's not uncommon for the heel pad to come unglued after continued wear. Shoe goo or gorilla glue are good solutions

ah i see, thanks for the tip! i'll look into that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics