• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Diggidy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll avoid them!

Also, has anybody done a Obenauf's leather oil + LP treatment? Would this darken a boot more than just an LP treatment? I ask because the brown color is a little too dark for my taste, but the tans are a tad too light, and I was wondering if an oil + LP treatment to tan boots would give a nice lighter brown/mahogany color.

SaiZn

Reaction score

Also, has anybody done a Obenauf's leather oil + LP treatment? Would this darken a boot more than just an LP treatment? I ask because the brown color is a little too dark for my taste, but the tans are a tad too light, and I was wondering if an oil + LP treatment to tan boots would give a nice lighter brown/mahogany color.

I thought the same about the brown and the tan as you and I went with the tans after looking at a few different pictures. Here's a post with both oil and LP used and I really like how it turned out so I'm going to try to do the same with my tans once I receive them. http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/4320#post_6743795

nevereast

Reaction score

Why not get rust then?

7strung

Reaction score
Just bought these, what do y'all think about this minor cut? If I had to guess I'd say it's less than one mm deep. How thick is this leather anyways, about two or three mm? Also I see Lexol recommended, what do you all think about the regular formula as opposed to the nondarkening?

Whats Up

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

After a lot of research, I finally got my first pair of black 1Ks today in the mail. I love them, but... I'm concerned about the fit. Lengthwise they're fine (I wear a 10 and ordered a 9), but the D width seems narrow for me. I've read in many places in this thread that they are comfy right out of the box, but that's not true in my case.

Can I expect some stretch or break in that will relax the width?

Or will it not ever really stretch? I want to wear them, but am concerned that I'll have to send them back. Too bad, since I got a really good deal on them that I won't get on a replacement pair. Of course, that's not a reason to keep them.

Thanks!

milw50717

Reaction score

Hi everyone.

After a lot of research, I finally got my first pair of black 1Ks today in the mail.  I love them, but... I'm concerned about the fit.  Lengthwise they're fine (I wear a 10 and ordered a 9), but the D width seems narrow for me.  I've read in many places in this thread that they are comfy right out of the box, but that's not true in my case.

Can I expect some stretch or break in that will relax the width? 

Or will it not ever really stretch?  I want to wear them, but am concerned that I'll have to send them back.  Too bad, since I got a really good deal on them that I won't get on a replacement pair.  Of course, that's not a reason to keep them.  

Thanks!

What is your foot sizing as measured on a Brannock ?

milw50717

Reaction score

Just bought these, what do y'all think about this minor cut? If I had to guess I'd say it's less than one mm deep. How thick is this leather anyways, about two or three mm? Also I see Lexol recommended, what do you all think about the regular formula as opposed to the nondarkening?

Should be fine, not in a major flex area. A bit of polish and you will not notice it. If it bothers you return for exchange or refund.

The regular never seems to darken significantly for me.

7strung

Reaction score
Quote:
walk til your feet swell, use your preferred sock, and try on both sizes in a store. go with your gut. i was torn between 9 and 9.5 (im 10d) and was convincing myself that the 9s fit. when i tried the 9.5 out again following cranes advice on socks and foot swelling, it was apparent that the fit was much better.

Last edited:

7strung

Reaction score
Should be fine, not in a major flex area. A bit of polish and you will not notice it. If it bothers you return for exchange or refund.

The regular never seems to darken significantly for me.

thanks! im just going to mull it over for a bit and will probably keep them. not worried about scuffing them up, but id rather not have any damage that could shorten the lifespan of a new shoe if i can avoid it. thats the great thing about nordstrom, they guarantee their products if anything ever happens. gives me peace of mind.

milw50717

Reaction score

thanks!  im just going to mull it over for a bit and will probably keep them.  not worried about scuffing them up, but id rather not have any damage that could shorten the lifespan of a new shoe if i can avoid it.  thats the great thing about nordstrom, they guarantee their products if anything ever happens.  gives me peace of mind.

900x900px-LL-8dd299e0_image.jpeg

It's just a nick that happened during the construction of the boot. You are going to get worse crossing the street and kicking a can.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone.

After a lot of research, I finally got my first pair of black 1Ks today in the mail.  I love them, but... I'm concerned about the fit.  Lengthwise they're fine (I wear a 10 and ordered a 9), but the D width seems narrow for me.  I've read in many places in this thread that they are comfy right out of the box, but that's not true in my case.

Did you read this in it's entirety? From what you're describing you are most likely wearing the wrong size.

http://cranesboots.com/getting-right-size/

and the tornado sale is still on...

Magic word is TORNADO20

http://cranesboots.com/store/products/

Diggidy

Reaction score
Why not get rust then?

I'd like to get the Addisons, so rust is a no go unfortunately, as I love the rust color.

Does anyone know how well the CXL leather will take colored show cream? I was thinking about the Tan Addisons, throwing a coat or two of medium brown meltonian cream, and then using Obenaufs on top of that.

Diggidy

Reaction score
Krause in tan out of the box, which were a bit too light for me:

After cleaning with saddle soap and scrub brush to better take up a few coats of medium brown Saphir cream and then Saphir medium brown paste wax to finish:

Quoting this post as an example, although I believe the Krause uses a different leather than the Addisons so I'm just curious if I could expect similar results.

Thanks!

nevereast

Reaction score

Quoting this post as an example, although I believe the Krause uses a different leather than the Addisons so I'm just curious if I could expect similar results.

Thanks!
Not sure about similar as I don't know enough about the Krause leather and how it takes polish

I would imagine if oil and beeswax the tans they will darken. Most complaints people have about obenaufs oil and LP is the darkening, and I believe the lighter the leather the more they will darken. Time will also do this, but in more of a beat up patina sort of way.

OlafG

Reaction score
Soles on my 1000 miles are wearing thin on right outside. I wonder when I need to resole. I got them in august so they are less than a year old.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
latinphrases33