• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
So, after a little over a month with my boots, I've noticed a pretty major defect with them. I'm not really sure how it got by me, but here's an older picture of them. It's kind of tough to see, but once you know what you're looking for, it just pops out at you.

Yeah, so there's an ice cream cone on the right boot. Not sure how that got past quality control, and the left boot doesn't seem to have the same issue. Any advice on how to take care of this, is it fixable? I could take it to my cobbler, but if it ends up costing a lot of money to fix, I really think that Wolverine/Allen Edmonds should take care of the repairs. For the record, I oiled the boots, and gave them a thorough brushing, but they haven't cleared up this issue. I'd hate to have them replaced, since the fit is so perfect, and the ice cream doesn't really interfere with daily wearing of these, but these are basically dress boots and I think that this defect really ruins them for me.

Anyone else experience this kind of flaw with their boots?

Definitely should have been sold as seconds.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You'll have to lay it out for me, I'm not sure what's going on.

You've accused me of trying to sabotage you or something like that. I'm still not sure what that's supposed to mean or whose interests I'm supposedly representing.

Keep talking, these things tend to work themselves out.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow Crane's is a *************. Aren't you a 50 year old shopkeeper who photographs young women for a hobby? Lmao.

anrobit

Reaction score
Keep talking, these things tend to work themselves out.
I plan to stay here for quite a while.

At least I don't accuse people of things that are blatantly not true, then back down when someone actually takes me up on the challenge. Why don't you say what you're actually thinking?

You're just a bully, nothing more. You'll bully until someone else backs down. What happens when they don't back down?

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You were told to return them for a refund but i guess that's not good enough for you. I'm guessing you aren't going to like what W tells you to do but oh well.

Wolverine is going to tell you to return them to us. We'll turn them in for "warranty" credit and refund your money but that's as far as it's going to go.
Perhaps you should learn how to keep things in perspective. The requirements for horse tack are different than the requirements of what's needed for boot leather. What's considered inferior in the tack world would be absolute overkill for a boot. Same goes for various price points in a product. You don't get vintage Dom Perignon for the price of Budweiser. As far as your comments about whether or not I know how to care for decent leather my response is simple. I do and if you don't like it then tough ****. Same goes for whether or not I know a thing or two about full grain leathers.

LOL! So now the leather "experts" are able to tell if it's veins, stretchmarks, loose grain, how thick the leather is, and blah blah blah on nothing more than a photo. ROFLMAO!
Nobody is out any money. Learn how to ******* read before you make a comment.
Because we pay the bill that's why. So tell me how your line of reasoning works as far as your damage statement is concerned. In the scheme of things it's just a handful of very verbal people who are pissed off. What is it that you don't like? Me not bowing down before thee? It's not going to happen no matter how much you whine and cry and carry on. In my neck of the woods if you act reasonably you get treated reasonably. If not you get thrown out of the store and service is refused. You aren't as privileged as you think you are.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's

Nice double standards you practice there. You can dish it out but can't take it? Perhaps you need to choose your fights more wisely. Oh and what were you saying about creasing again? Now I'm really laughing at your superior intellect and knowledge. LOL!

I'm also fond of comments that start off with, "Not to stir the pot". O'Rly? Yes you did. ROFL!

As a scientist you should know that what's considered an acceptable material depends on the particular application. Arguments along the lines above have no real value otherwise. It's no different than arguing 14K is inferior to 18K gold or CV steel is inferior to CPM 154 or S30V.

I'm also not real sure if inferior is even the right term here. Leather grades would make more sense. In any case I asked for real life evidence that this CXL wrinkling is responsible for premature structural failure which as of yet has not been provided.

LOL! This is just too funny. A full 10 percent of your sampling has this supposed issue and it's the clickers fault that this number is so high. Show me the lab analysis of the leather that supports your claim of inferior leather. Show me one example of where this issue has lead to a structural failure that you claim will happen. So far it's hearsay and nothing more. 10 percent tells me that this supposed anomaly is actually a characteristic of the material. If the anomaly was measured at .01 percent then you might have a case to make an inferior material claim. Of course that claim has to be based on an actual scientific analysis of the structure which is not visible from the surface no matter what you say.

I wouldn't know a thing about manufacturing. Never mind that I set up a few ISO 9001 QC departments or that my education has something to do with manufacturing technologies.

In the whole wide world you are among a miniscule portion of the population at large that says it's inferior leather. In fact the number you represent is so small that getting hit by a meteor on any given day makes more sense.

Quote:
I'm now a custom boot designer.

Introducing the Meister Boot.

It's taken 5 years for me to create the ultimate masterpiece of the work boot world. I present to you my Original Brown Wolverine 1000 Mile Meister Boot. The rich patina and distressed leather are the result of thousands of hours of meticulous carelessness and disregard. In addition to this think of all the places they've been. Oh the stories these boots could tell if they could talk. You, yes you can live vicariously as a true wanderer. With only one pair of boots available every five years you're assured of being only one of a few people in the whole world of ever having a pair of the much vaunted Meister Boot. They can be yours for the ridiculous price of only $7399.95.

Yes, dumping paint on good leather makes it better. I shouldn't have thrown away my work boots after getting paint and stain on them from building a few houses and decks. Oh the money I could have made with those transformed custom boots.

Quote:

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow Crane's is a *************. Aren't you a 50 year old shopkeeper who photographs young women for a hobby? Lmao.

I'm not a shopkeeper and yes I do take pictures of or for anyone who can afford me. RU jealous or something?

I plan to stay here for quite a while. 

At least I don't accuse people of things that are blatantly not true, then back down when someone actually takes me up on the challenge. Why don't you say what you're actually thinking?

You're just a bully, nothing more. You'll bully until someone else backs down. What happens when they don't back down?

I didn't back down. All that needed to be said about you, your claims on CXL and what you're doing has already been said. From here on out people can make up their own minds about it. Anything else about what I may think will show itself soon enough one way or the other. The beauty of it is I don't have to say a thing.

anrobit

Reaction score
I'm not a shopkeeper and yes I do take pictures of or for anyone who can afford me. RU jealous or something?
I didn't back down. All that needed to be said about you, your claims on CXL and what you're doing has already been said. From here on out people can make up their own minds about it. Anything else about what I may think will show itself soon enough one way or the other. The beauty of it is I don't have to say a thing.
Again, you keep alluding to some special interest that I supposedly have. What interest is that, supposedly? Lay it out for me, I really don't know.

I think the funniest part is you think you're important enough for anyone to bother.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nevereast

Reaction score
Lets get back on subject

Thought I would do a mini review of the Wolverine 1000 Mile Austens. They are an 8in boot, made from Horween's Predator leather.

When I bought them originally, I was expecting to have a clone of my 1k mile originals, but a bit taller and with a halfsole. Aside from the fact that the leather is much more dull, it's also stiffer. Unlike my 1k mile originals, it actually had a break in period. It was far shorter than my Redwing beckmans, which I could handle for about 5 minutes at a time on the first day.
Immediately I loved them. Then a few days later, I hated them and regretted my purchase. A few days later I loved them again, and that's where I am still today. Personally, I love them more than my 1k classics, which were my other favorites. I can wear either of them for 14+ hours and not notice. I could walk or stand in them all day and not have any foot pain.

The pullup is fantastic, and I like the natural patina of this leather over CXL personally:

here are a few pictures while new, and while applying Obenaufs LP before usage. the darkening (as always) was instantaneous, and began to lighten within a few minutes/hours.

(I have no idea why they appear as this color. Florescent + iphone I guess.)

New+obenaufs (darker one is after application)

Here are a few pics today, with just brushing. I've hit them with Obenaufs probably twice this winter, and nothing else. The leather has held up much better than my CXL 1k miles even though the Austens now have more and heavier usage.

Compared to Rust 1k mile originals

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If memory serves me right nevereast the tan 1Ks and Addisons were originally CXL and then about a year later or so they switched that color to the Predator leather. My Addisons are Predator leather and yes the leather is a bit different. Less waxy feeling and a bit stiffer but comfortable. I was supposed to get a pair of Lathams which are made of a roughout leather called Orion. It's supposed to be an oiled leather.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're creepy dude.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pecan89

Reaction score
Back to wearing the originals today. The Morley's are definitely a heavier boot and seem to be roomier maybe its the rubber in the footbed just not being as settled.

Also one of the best things I have done is get rid of the stock laces. I really LOVED them when I first got them but man they are a pain to keep flat and became my worst enemy on hungover weekend mornings with the speed hooks. Got regular round hiking boot laces in 1 pair and leather in the other both much easier to use

Also Cranegate not giving you guys the level of kiss ass customer is always right BS you feel entitled to is only slightly less obnoxious as the non stop size question tiny boot brigradge and/or cat fighting about darkening/ scuffing

Last edited:

clintfisher

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told a couple of times that Wolverine does not sell the 1K's as seconds. Seeing a lot of "should have been sold as seconds" mentions in this thread.

hotdoglife85

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told a couple of times that Wolverine does not sell the 1K's as seconds. Seeing a lot of "should have been sold as seconds" mentions in this thread.

i've seen seconds before at the allen edmonds store. never been to the wolverine one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads