• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

themonster

Reaction score
You don't need anything besides an occasional brushing. Chromexcel is loaded with oils that "bloom" to the surface.

Weathersealing is pointless unless you convert the soles to commando or Danite variety. Getting occasionally caught in the rain is fine. I wouldn't trust deliberately walking with damped leather soles on city concretes.

ben2t

Reaction score
Just the standard Vibram commando half sole + heel.
Are the Vibram sole stitch or just glued? you said 2 years its seams you got a quality job for that. Looks good though, considering adding the same on mine.

Last edited:

JTrent82

Reaction score
Hey, first time poster here so be gentle. I have a store credit at a local place that carries the 1k boots. My true size is 10E. The D's fit a bit narrow (I was told that the line runs narrow in general), and they didn't carry E's. I soon came to find out that no one carries E's because Wolverine doesn't make them. So I went ahead and ordered the EEE's, and I'm waiting on them, but I just can't imagine fitting a triple wide. Why, for heaven's sake, is nothing offered between D and EEE? Should I size up in the D's and deal with the extra length? Should I go to the RW outlet? No, they don't make E's either... I'm despondent. Is there no boot for me besides the bespoke route? I really wanted to use that credit. Does anyone have any experience with the 1Ks in EEE?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are the Vibram sole stitch or just glued? you said 2 years its seams you got a quality job for that. Looks good though, considering adding the same on mine.

Just a glue-on one. Nothing out of the ordinary. They still look OK because I don't wear boots in the Summer and I have 4 pairs of boots I rotate in the Winter months when I am not wearing my dress shoes.

If you do put them on, make sure you post pics. :)

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't need anything besides an occasional brushing.  Chromexcel is loaded with oils that "bloom" to the surface.

Weathersealing is pointless unless you convert the soles to commando or Danite variety.  Getting occasionally caught in the rain is fine.  I wouldn't trust deliberately walking with damped leather soles on city concretes.

Wrong on both counts. Where did you get your information from?

They're glued on and mine have lasted over three years without issue. I really do need to get them replaced only because I've worn the Raptor pattern pretty much bald in spots.

themonster

Reaction score
Wrong on both counts. Where did you get your information from?

Umm, from Nick Horween and Phil Kalas.
fing02[1].gif

http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/
http://bestleather.org/about-the-famous-chromexcel-leather-from-horween-tannery/

How exactly am I wrong about damp leather soles being more susceptible to rock/concrete abrasion?

It's basic science; sharp objects will erode anything that is softer or soggy.
1159[1].gif

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Umm, from Nick Horween and Phil Kalas. 
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/
http://bestleather.org/about-the-famous-chromexcel-leather-from-horween-tannery/

How exactly am I wrong about damp leather soles being more susceptible to rock/concrete abrasion?

It's basic science; sharp objects will erode anything that is softer or soggy.
1159%5B1%5D.gif

Neither article has any information to back up your claim that CXL does not require conditioning.

Who cares if the soles are less abrasion resistant. You said it's pointless to weatherseal the uppers unless you half sole the boots which is a patently false statement.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dysong/5734486367/

Here you mentioned taking a dip in a river to clean off your 1k miles.  This is terrible advice and the reason why you think these boots required weatherproofing.  Not sure how many people put their boots to these extreme conditions.

First off it's far better to expose the boots to water immersion than to let mud dry on them. Where did you come up with your brilliant deduction on why I proof my boots anyway? The reason why has been clearly explained by me over and over again yet you think you know why better than I do? LOL! ROFLMAO! I also think it's hilarious that you call what I do extreme. Around my neck of the woods it's how a pair of workboots are treated by just about everyone.

Oh yeah, a full moon. That explains everything. LOL!

loug

Reaction score
Lets break it down. One pair of 1K's @ $350+/-, life ~ 5 years = $70/year or 20 cents a day. Even at a 2 1/2 year life span its still a good buy. Then resoling? Personally I think we worry too much about the initial investment of everything we buy. Like mentioned before, they are just work boots.

themonster

Reaction score
Lets break it down. One pair of 1K's @ $350+/-, life ~ 5 years = $70/year or 20 cents a day. Even at a 2 1/2 year life span its still a good buy. Then resoling? Personally I think we worry too much about the initial investment of everything we buy. Like mentioned before, they are just work boots.

Look, your boots won't last an equivalent of 40 years of traveling to the moon and back. Your leather knowledge is proportional to how hard you trash them!

I just bought a pair of Indy Boots so I can just be like Indiana Jones. I mean, why else would they named the boots after him?!

Last edited:

loug

Reaction score
Seriously, you'll get bored of them in like 2 years or so.

Maybe but the norm for me is as long as they're comfortable they continue to be worn. Never forget my wife telling me to get new tennis shoes, "your shoes are older than your kids". Kids were in grade school. Shoes were still good and comfy, did get new ones though and can't say what she did with the old ones.

noobman30

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes for cranes to ship out a pair of boots? i put in an order last week but have not received any updates, so i have no idea when to expect them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads