1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pfoosh

pfoosh New Member

I'm somewhat irritated considering their cost. I may just sell them because they don't seem to fit too well. I initially bought a pair which I thought was too large around the heel area. Then I bought this current pair half a size down but with a bigger width and it seems even more loose than the previous one. It was too comfortable!

What other boots would you recommend that have a similar style but is 'better'?

2. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Trenches:

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/brown-trench-boot

3. striker

striker Senior member

^ The man speaks the truth. Or Rancourt.

Here is my wolverine made from Syphilis infected bull's penis leather.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Damn, that's awful.

I would prefer my formless, wrinkly blobby flaccid bull penis wolverines to syphilis bull penis...

5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

It all depends. I have Oak Street Trench Boots and Wolverine McCleans, both in Brown Chromexcel, and only the Oak Streets have any veins. Other than the price tag, nothing about the Oak Streets scream higher quality.

6. clintfisher

clintfisher Member

I just spoke to Chuck (IIRC) and he said it was there so hopefully we're good

1 person likes this.
  7. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

Those are awful. I've never seen such a sickly pair of boots.

Ben

8. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Wtf, please tell me those are seconds.

9. LIMBERLION

LIMBERLION Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even accept those as seconds. The only rightful place for boots of that quality is the trash.

10. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Man, those look horrible.

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

That stitching being off on the heel wouldn't really bother me at all, but if they fit poorly then that's a no-go. You can either try to resell them and take your losses, or try thicker socks or an insert or heel cup.

Red Wings don't seem to have nearly the amount of QC issues with construction, and certainly not with the SB Foot leather vs. Chromexcel. I did really enjoy the SB Foot leather, just not the overall aesthetic or fit/comfort of the Red Wings. If you like the way they look, you can go that route. Otherwise, try Chippewa's. Both brands are comparable in the $200-300 range.

If you want to jump to $400-500, you can step up to White's, Wesco, Dayton, Nick's, Alden, or Northampton offerings (Trickers, Alfred Sargent, et al.).

Totally clueless on shipping/importing between NZ and Australia, but these look pretty frickin' badass:

http://www.lastandloom.com/

12. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Somewhere around 2 years old... I abuse the hell out of these... taken just now.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. pfoosh

pfoosh New Member

I'm set on selling the 1k. Even after getting 2 pairs of different sizes, I'm not entirely sure what size is suitable for me. Might have to forget the 1k boots.

On the other hand... Those last and loom boots look sweet!! I might have to look into them

14. mistercitizen

Determining the fit on mine hasn't been terribly easy or obvious to me either. I have two pairs of 1K boots. The Addison in brown CXL and the Krause in black Dublin leather. Both in size 11.

These two boots were pretty obviously made on different lasts, which is not surprising since the Krause boots were made my AE if I'm not mistaken..... so by a different company completely. The shape of the toe boxes are a little different between the two. The toe box on the Addison is a bit more roomy and rounded than the toe box on the Krause boots. Both boots are comfortable, but I struggle with slip a little bit in the Krause boots. Neither boot offers much side support due to the extremely flexible and supple leather used. My slightly wider than normal feet bulge a little at the sides over the sole, while the heel and arch area is loose and roomy..... and the toe box is roomy as well. It's a comfortable fit, but somewhat strange. If they offered a wider width, I suppose I would do something similar to what I did with my RW Iron Rangers, which was to go down a a half size in length and up in width, but then I could see the heel and arch area just being way too loose and sloppy.

It's something of a quandry to me. Some days I look at them and think that they are too big, and other days I feel like I should have a wider width at the very least. I've tried inserts, arch supports, and insoles...... ultimately I have decided that the best thing to do is go without an insole and stick to a heavy, thick boot sock and just lace them up nice and tight over my instep to lock my arch and heel in as best as I can. I measure 11.5 D to 12 D on the Brannock for reference.

Ben

15. dcrane

dcrane Senior member

We had a pair of these that a customer didn't want (lack of funds at the time). I'm trying to sell on eBay to defer the return costs of shipping and restocking fees. Low price. These are new. Only a few hours left.

http://goo.gl/VvEn8x

16. umanz

umanz New Member

Ok long time lurker first time poster. Ive read through the forums thoroughly and only posting because I'm still unclear.

I have a new pair of the black w contrast stitching Krause boots. I have seen conflicting information regarding the initial conditioning and cleaning of these boots due to the Dublin leather. Ive read to use AE condition/cleaner, Saph Renov, glycerine saddle soap followed by HDLP, etc. Wolverine said to use their leather care package.

Does anyone have any successful experience with initial clean and conditioning process that would please share? Is the Dublin leather a non-issue?

Thanks guys

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  17. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Yes, they don't need any initial conditioning. You don't need to do anything.

18. mistercitizen

Initial cleaning and conditioning is not necessary in my opinion. My Krause boots came with a little "Dublin Leather" card in the box, which discusses some of the recommendations for care and polishing. I believe that they recommend just wiping the leather with a dry cloth to remove scuffs. Dublin Leather is a very supple leather. If you want a little shine, they recommend using a clear wax polish. I've used regular black wax polish on mine to get a shine, the the wax seems to crack a bit after wear. All wax polishes do this a little. I just apply the wax polish to the toe caps to get a shine there. I don't do the entire boot. The AE leather conditioner/lotion is a good product for conditioning down the road.

Ben

19. umanz

umanz New Member

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. That care card was thrown away by a well meaning spouse so I came to you gents for assistance. Thanks again

Bryan

1 person likes this.
  20. mistercitizen

No problem. I got the Krause boot 1) because of it's looks (love the contrast stiching with the black leather) and 2) because I wanted to see what the Dublin leather was all about. I haven't really decided how much I like it for a pair of boots. As I mentioned, it's a very supple leather, which is sort of a good thing. I like the texture of it except for how it creases behind the toe cap. It can have the tendency to get very wrinkly. Since it's a waxed leather, I figured there would be no problem bringing it to a shine, and it is fairly easy...... but I debated about shining up the toe caps or not. Ultimately, I decided that it's more of a dressy style than a casual style..... but is still by far not a "dress boot". It's something of a work boot last that looks more military in a way.

I guess I think it looks pretty sharp with the toes shined up and the rest of the boot left with the natural soft luster.

The heel is a little blocky, and I've often thought that a smaller heel on resole would do wonders for it as well.

I know that Allen Edmonds recommends their leather lotion for the shoes and boots that they sell using the same Horween Dublin Leather, so my recommendation on the AE Lotion is more from Allen Edmonds website rather than anything I heard anywhere else.

Ben

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014