1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rexet

rexet Senior member

Love that new Sno-Seal product!

2. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Well, I decided to go the cobbler route, any recommendation on a good cobbler? I asked my roommate, and he suggested cherry, but I did some research, and some people seem to think apple cobbler works better, especially with vanilla ice cream. Anyone have experience with either of those cobblers with their boots? Ugh, I really just don't know what to do, too many choices.

1 person likes this.
  3. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

Hilarious - didn't see that coming....but while we are on the topic, I would say it depends on the ice cream flavor. You don't want to go ruining the cobbler by mismatching it with the ice cream. Since the ice cream is a pre existing condition, I'd say you must be judicious in choosing cobbler. If the ice cream is indeed vanilla, stick with the America theme (made is USA footwear) and go for apple.

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Absolutely friggin hilarious!! Pure genius.

Now in your case I recommend you find some hot coal tar and dip your boots in it. That will remove the defect no problem and your boots will be impervious to just about anything. Oh and yes they will darken quite a bit but hey black is good right? Now keep in mind they might be a little stiff at first but after six or seven months of wear they should loosen up a bit. Then again they just might fall apart before then. It's OK though, really. Screw it, liberal doses of gasoline and a torch will surely solve your problem.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Oh better make a special note on this recommendation. If anyone else takes this advice you are strictly on your own, not to mention really dumb too. This is a very special recommendation due to the severity of the aforementioned problem and is specific to only this defect and user.

6. muzach

muzach Active Member

Dude, that's not a defect. You got one of the ultra rare Wolverine x Baskin Robbins collab 1K's. Only 31 pairs were made. Don't take them to the cobbler, they belong in a museum!

1 person likes this.
  7. elvi679

elvi679 Senior member

sorry, but obviously your shoes have been tampered with. I would be very concerned that your shoes may be a part of a crime - it doesn't look like this object came from the factory to me and these might have come from a mall (not a highly reputable shoe store like Leather Soul. I would suggest that you take as many pictures as possible and send them to the FBI - this might require some Federal government research monies to find out exactly what your shoes have been involved with.. or perhaps like muzach suggests - maybe just a collab with a small independent ice cream maker - perhaps Jeni's ice cream - http://www.jenis.com/perennial-flavors/ in perhaps roxbury road flavor? I would give this hours of consideration on my next step on how to address this issue.

8. BlahBet

BlahBet Member

I am about to buy a pair of these boots in 8 (I wear 8 in Clarks Desert Boots), but want to make sure they fit right. If I go try them on at a store that sells them, how should they fit? Should I take into consideration that I might be wearing thicker socks?

Also how do I contact Crane's? As I will probably be ordering from there once I try them on somewhere else.

Thanks!

9. althanis

althanis Senior member

Ok let's stop flogging a dead horse.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get my 1k Miles resoled in Toronto?

10. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

you guys need to get out more.

11. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

A serious question: What boots are those...? I like them. Is it the 744?

12. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Yup, 744 seconds, bought from an AE outlet for $350. Added a half-sole, oiled, and sno-sealed. They are much darker than they were originally, due to the Obenauf's, and absolutely gorgeous. Only had them for a month and a half, been slowly kicking the shit out of them (and also wearing them to work every day), they are holding up beautifully. I've worn them to the detriment of the rest of my shoe collection almost every day since. They're unlined, so I really have no compunction about not letting them fully air out, and they've survived snow, ice, mud, salt, sand, and sea water so far. Lots of nicks, scuffs, and scrapes, but they all blend in to the color. Looking forward to when they start getting a patina (still a rather solid dark brown right now, not much depth to the color really).

Interestingly enough, my post was inspired by the fact that I *did* notice a flaw, just the other day, that may or may not have been there when I first purchased these. One of the eyelets is a nickel color, while the rest of the metal pieces are copper colored. Probably were the reason they were seconds in the first place, honestly. Of course, I'll take a $400 discount on a pair of boots for a mismatched eyelet, no question about it. A pretty sloppy mistake, though.

13. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

I know a place that is an authorized repair dealer for Allen Edmonds. Not sure if they can do 1K miles as well. A colleague of mine bring all his shoes to this guy for repair.

Bay Bloor Shoe Repair at 1240 Bay Street
    416 975 0009

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

i literally got a PM with someone asking me how much leather oil to put on the 1k's. what the fuck. i dont think i've posted itt any more than three times and people are asking me of all people. crane, i cannot imagine the stupidity you are exposed to on a daily basis in your quest to help people WEAR A GODDAMN PAIR OF WORK BOOTS.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

You have no idea how many PMs, emails and phone calls I field over these boots. Of course it is expected when you end up being the guy behind about a 3 year continuous real world review. My antics with my brown original 1Ks are damn near legendary. Wolverine should make me their official spokesman and send me out on road trips for more antics and adventures. If anyone in the world knows these boots that person would be me. LOL! It's really funny why I started all of this. I read all the reviews about these boots when they came out and it just didn't sit right with me. Lots of fluff and fanfare by bought people but nothing of real value that a consumer could use to make an informed purchasing decision. I put my money where my mouth was and well the rest is history.

One of these days I should rewrite some of my how to's and why's or write a FAQ and post it on my blog. That way I'll have a convenient link to point people to without having to dig through a few thousand posts. LOL.

16. NefariousSabatour

Crane this shit has gone to your head and you are now insane.

This is not a compliment.

1 person likes this.
  17. NefariousSabatour

we've got about 20 more pages before he really goes off the deep end and starts calling everyone "nephew" like in that cultish alden thread.

2 people like this.
  18. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

After all these years you haven't figured out how sarcastic and cynical I can be?

That's not going to happen either. I don't need or want anyone to follow me in any manner other than maybe how to take care of their boots. If anything I would tell people to be themselves and follow no one.

19. NefariousSabatour

20. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I will say that Crane definitely gave me some good guidance on how to follow his guide, even if I was one of those people asking him questions. I'll definitely get behind you making an FAQ/comprehensive guide, since there were a few parts that were ambiguous, even after reading all of the hundreds of pages. It's a stark difference from how to care for calfskin shoes.