• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolf and Shepherd customer service advice needed

ml73

Reaction score
I was looking for comfortable dress shoes and came across Wolf and Shepherd (http://wolfandshepherd.com/). I thought the regular prices were a bit high but found that they sold factory seconds oxfords (https://www.wolfandshepherd.com/products/seconds-closer-maple-cap-toe) available in my size. The product page states in large bold letters "
Free Shipping & Returns". I checked their return policy (https://www.wolfandshepherd.com/pages/returns-exchanges), which states
  • Return Pair : Return merchandise in its original, un-used condition, when accompanied by the original packaging within 21 days from shipping date. Use the Return form on our website to begin.
I ordered a couple of seconds, which ended not fitting the width of my feet, so I returned them.

When I did not receive a refund I contacted their customer support and was told that factory seconds are not returnable. They pointed to a hidden page https://www.wolfandshepherd.com/collections/seconds that states "DISCLAIMER: Because of the heavily discounted nature of the shoes in this section, all seconds purchases are FINAL SALE. No returns or exchanges offered on this product." I never came across that page (it is hidden without link on the WS page). There is also a statement that seconds are not returnable under the "Features" tab of the product page.

They are unwilling to issue a refund but offered a store credit. I find rather flabbergasting that WS refuse offer a refund given that it says "Free Shipping & Returns" on the product page and the restrictions on seconds is not listed in their return policy.

The store credit is really useless for me since their shoes do not fit my feet. I would have expected customer service from a smaller company like WS.

Any advice what I should do here? I wouldn't make a fuss if I thought the error was on my part.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange that your first post is about a complaint.

One can hardly call the 'final sale' condition hidden - it is quite clear in the features tab and one might reasonably expect a buyer to look at that tab in particular to better understand what was on offer.

The condition is crystal clear and I'm afraid that you are the author of your own misfortune; you were careless in not having checked the features tab where the vendor has carefully set out what is on sale.

You have enjoyed appropriate customer service and simply because this is a smaller company, it has no magic potion to absorb such customer errors.

You have lost your money and it is your own fault.

ml73

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Let me be clear. I have no problem with the policy, obviously. Some companies allow returns on seconds and some do not. My issue is that the main product webpage states clearly that returns are free. Yes, there is a statement that returns are not accepted for seconds on a sublink. That is at best misleading.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Let me be clear. I have no problem with the policy, obviously. Some companies allow returns on seconds and some do not. My issue is that the main product webpage states clearly that returns are free. Yes, there is a statement that returns are not accepted for seconds on a sublink. That is at best misleading.

Sorry I cannot buy that argument. You are reading a generic page which displays seconds. It says clearly at the top that seconds cannot be returned. On the page of the individual product there is a tab "Features". That repeats the message.

The page you deem a sub link covers the seconds offer generically, the message is repeated twice there and on the model price. It is YOUR fault, not that of the merchant.

Lick your wounds and be more careful in future.

Calvin Hobbes

Reaction score
I was looking for comfortable dress shoes and came across Wolf and Shepherd (http://wolfandshepherd.com/). I thought the regular prices were a bit high but found that they sold factory seconds oxfords (https://www.wolfandshepherd.com/products/seconds-closer-maple-cap-toe) available in my size. The product page states in large bold letters "
Free Shipping & Returns". I checked their return policy (https://www.wolfandshepherd.com/pages/returns-exchanges), which states
  • Return Pair : Return merchandise in its original, un-used condition, when accompanied by the original packaging within 21 days from shipping date. Use the Return form on our website to begin.
I ordered a couple of seconds, which ended not fitting the width of my feet, so I returned them.

When I did not receive a refund I contacted their customer support and was told that factory seconds are not returnable. They pointed to a hidden page https://www.wolfandshepherd.com/collections/seconds that states "DISCLAIMER: Because of the heavily discounted nature of the shoes in this section, all seconds purchases are FINAL SALE. No returns or exchanges offered on this product." I never came across that page (it is hidden without link on the WS page). There is also a statement that seconds are not returnable under the "Features" tab of the product page.

They are unwilling to issue a refund but offered a store credit. I find rather flabbergasting that WS refuse offer a refund given that it says "Free Shipping & Returns" on the product page and the restrictions on seconds is not listed in their return policy.

The store credit is really useless for me since their shoes do not fit my feet. I would have expected customer service from a smaller company like WS.

Any advice what I should do here? I wouldn't make a fuss if I thought the error was on my part.

Calvin Hobbes

Reaction score
It's been over a year since you posted this and I hope you resolved it in your favor, but I decided to reply because I thought the other reply came down so hard on you, the customer, that maybe it was written by the Wolf at W&S! Whatever happened to "the customer is always right?" It's definitely not the standard of customer care in a high-end, $345-a-pair shoe business (or shouldn't be). The chance that factory seconds will have major flaws or not fit your feet is too great a risk and your credit card company would likely have held in your favor if you'd disputed the charge. Always use a credit card when making a purchase you might have to return, you will have better protection.
BTW, I saw your post when I did a google search for their CS department, which hasn't bothered to get back to me about an issue for several days now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads