• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello fellas. I'm an 18 year old guy with a physical disability, which primarily affects my feet and legs. I cannot move my feet to get into shoes easily, and it's a pain to bend down and to tie and re-tie laces when they come undone. Most of the slip on formal shoes I have experienced have been very difficult to get on, they were simply too firm and have to be wrestled with to get on my feet. My question is, do you guys know of any slip on or fastened shoes, that are legitimately 'easy' to actually slip on. So far for me, slip on shoes have meant wrestle on shoes.

By slip on, do you mean loafers? Also, have you tried a long handled shoe horn?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well that sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Pretty awesome you sill wear dress shoes even when it's difficult.

So, what type of shoes do you have experience with?

NonchalantApple

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for some time checking out the WIWT CM.

Quick question regarding what type of fabric or pant type to wear with a blazer/sport coat.

I noticed one of the fits was really nice but one of the more senior members commented that the fabric used for the blazer/pants made it appear that they (both the pants/sport coat) should have been part of a suit piece (even when the original commenter specified otherwise). I think it may have been a worsted wool? A question stemming off of that, why are worsted wool pants sold as separates if they look much better with a matching top?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My question is this:

When placing a pocket square in a jacket's breast pocket, is it a better idea to put the square in the pocket while wearing the jacket, or add the square while the jacket is still on the hanger? Is there a "right" way to do it?

I've done it both ways. I don't think there is a "right" way to do it.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for some time checking out the WIWT CM.

Quick question regarding what type of fabric or pant type to wear with a blazer/sport coat.

I noticed one of the fits was really nice but one of the more senior members commented that the fabric used for the blazer/pants made it appear that they (both the pants/sport coat) should have been part of a suit piece (even when the original commenter specified otherwise). I think it may have been a worsted wool? A question stemming off of that, why are worsted wool pants sold as separates if they look much better with a matching top?

They sell them because a lot of people don't really follow the "rules" here on SF. In my opinion, there is worsted wool that can work with SCs. I have a pair of trousers in a worsted Dugdale wool that look just fine. The key is that they have no sheen to them and have a decent texture....they aren't smooth and shiny. That said, I do prefer trousers with a little more texture....hopsack and fresco in the warmer months and flannels when it's cold.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it both ways. I don't think there is a "right" way to do it.

Perhaps "right" was the wrong word. I was thinking "effective" or possibly "efficient". Thanks, though.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice thread idea, Murl. Looks like it's working so far.

What do you think of making a quick little glossary of SF jargon as part of the first post of each weekly thread? Would save having the do all the parenthesis each time to explain abbreviations, maybe. Stuff like MTO, AV, and so on.

Or you could even consider making a sticky thread at the top of the forum, but maybe people don't read those types of things often enough for it to be useful enough.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you could even consider making a sticky thread at the top of the forum, but maybe people don't read those types of things often enough for it to be useful enough.

+1. I think this thread needs to be sticky to have a better chance of vacuuming up all the individual questions.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not my idea, I'm just in charge of making it happen....but thanks! I think it has been a good first week. We can definitely consider sticking the thread and I like the idea about breaking down the common acronyms.

I got food poisoning last night....crappy start to the holiday weekend.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1. I think this thread needs to be sticky to have a better chance of vacuuming up all the individual questions.
We can "sticky" them by putting it in the header. However, it doesn't show up on mobile, which accounts for up to 40% of the overall traffic, and even on the desktop, that section is largely ignored, especially by noobs, who don't always see it (it's hard to figure out how to use a new platform even for the genius among us!)

Not my idea, I'm just in charge of making it happen....but thanks! I think it has been a good first week. We can definitely consider sticking the thread and I like the idea about breaking down the common acronyms.

Ugh. That sucks. In any case, great job so far, Murl.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ugh. That sucks. In any case, great job so far, Murl.

fistbump.gif

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I don't know if there is an easier type of shoe generally to put on, but good leather shoes should have heel support that prevents them from easily caving under your foot. I have a pair of Crockett Jones penny loafers that are a touch big but comfortable to walk in and easy to step into. You might try something like that.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oi, get well soon mate. And thanks again for all the good work done here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads