• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

With All These Suits Posted, What Do You Guys Wear In The Summer?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
light weight suits

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
The WAYWN thread goes back a LONG way. You can see some summer clothes in there. Two of mine from in there:

Back from when you were painting the first half of the room you just finished, I see
laugh.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Game07
In the WAYWT thread, it seems every post has someone in a suit, and granted, a suit in the winter is a great look and also keeps the person warm, but what do you guys wear in the summer, on these +36 degrees °C days where a dark suit would basically burn you alive?

If anyone has any pics from last summer, please post them or even ideas as to what to wear and give people like me a chance to change my wardrobe before its too late
smile.gif

Fortunately/Unfortunately depending on perspective, it rarely gets above 30C over here, so I don't need to do much beyond switching to lighter fabrics and brighter colours!
smile.gif

Anyway, check the archives of the WAYWT for ideas.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Back from when you were painting the first half of the room you just finished, I see
laugh.gif

Back when the previous owner's weird strip club mirrors were everywhere.
laugh.gif

Second one is from my old place.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dress slacks, dress shirt, and a linen vest or linen sportcoat

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The colors and styles may change but for me I still wear suits in the summer. MOstly for work and church other times I dress more casualy for the weather.

jefferson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
There is no summer in San Francisco. Just endless days of fog and cold.

...and that's why I love it.
smile.gif
I can just switch to more colorful shirts and lighter fabrics of what I wear during the "colder" months.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
There is no summer in San Francisco. Just endless days of fog and cold.

San Francisco was in the 90s last summer.

This summer looks to be more of the same and more.

Lots of polos shirts, jeans, khakis, khaki shorts....and of course
the California staple....sandals.

s4usea

Reaction score
Here In DC linen and seersucker. For dress very light weight wool. Some guys wear poplin, but I've found them to be too hot for outdoors.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably true across the U.S, but my experience in the DC Metro area is that businesses, restaurants, theaters, etc. run their a/c at such outrageous levels that warm clothes are warranted except for when you know you're going to spend an appreciable amount of time outdoors.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weight of the fabric means nothing for its cooling properties. There are sub 8 ounce fabrics that are so tightly woven they might as well be Tyvek. I wear very open weave wool and mohair blends along with linen blends on the hottest days. Ideally, the trousers and jackets have as little Bemberg as possible - that stuff is awful in the heat.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
While I work in a professional position with a Fortune 500 company, I'd be laughed out of the building if I wore a suit. Summer runs 4-5 months here at a constant 99 degrees, and I walk half a mile to work. It's a major accomplishment for me not to give in to wearing shorts. That said, I'm also struggling with how to keep things interesting come May. This will be my first post-SF summer so I'd imagine it'll be a learning experience.

To me, it sounds like you live in a southern city such as Atlanta, GA, Dallas, TX or St. Louis, MO, 1969.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Why white shirts? Summer is the season for color!
teacha.gif

Tis true, but I find summer heat very, very unpleasant. I think my hate for the summer borders on irrational, just thinking about its impending arrival is annoying me.

Incidentally for the suit-in-summer wearing folks, doesn't it bother you that you sweat a lot in your woolen suits? One of the main reasons why I wear cotton during summer is that I can throw everything in the laundry at the end of the day. The idea of wearing wool, no matter how lightweight or open weave, and not washing it frequently puts me off it in a big way. Or does everyone hand wash with Woolite?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads