• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wisdom Teeth

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I think he mentioned the clot being undone and thats what would cause the pain. I dont want to take the risk with the spitting or straw using though....as he said that would probably cause that

I was told not to use mouth wash for at least 24 hours. Dont know about the brushing though. He said to take about half a tea spoon of salt and mix it in with water and use that as a mouth was after 24 hours as its supposed to help in some way..

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was told not to use mouth wash for at least 24 hours. Dont know about the brushing though. He said to take about half a tea spoon of salt and mix it in with water and use that as a mouth was after 24 hours as its supposed to help in some way..
At LEAST. Rinse very gently with salt water only. If the clots come out your life will not be pleasant.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Is it honeslty a big deal..id rather just not rinse. Does someone HAVE to rinse with saltwater?
I dont want that clot to come out ..that would suck ass

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
^^Is it honeslty a big deal..id rather just not rinse. Does someone HAVE to rinse with saltwater?
I dont want that clot to come out ..that would suck ass

The saltwater helps to clear the bacteria which helps promote healing. I read something along the lines of "rinsing" to be taken as "moving your head around in circles with liquid in your mouth."

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The saltwater helps to clear the bacteria which helps promote healing.

I read something along the lines of "rinsing" to be taken as "moving your head around in circles with liquid in your mouth."

yea I guess Ill do that..I jus twant to avoid pain at all costs

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
yea I guess Ill do that..I jus twant to avoid pain at all costs
Amen. If I have to pour bourbon down a funnel to the back of my throat to help me survive this weekend, so be it.

freakseam

Reaction score
When I had mine out, since at least one was severely out of position, I was put under. Things went smoothly. Surprisingly so. Upon waking up, I was coherent and in no pain. Good to go. Docs and nurse were a bit surprised. Anyway, I didn't take any pain meds, but followed directions with the salt rinse and not talking. Days passed. I believe it was day 2 where there was some blood spurt overnight, but that was about it.

So, things seemed great, and they were. But here's the caution. I probably started back on solid food (had to have something other than mashed potatos or soup. I went with pizza, small bites) too soon. That was day 4 or 5. Still no meds. After that, though, I started to feel some pain in my jaw. Not much, so I didn't abandon the return to solid food. I did keep the portions small, but the pain did grow. So, in the end I took meds twice towards the end of the first week post op.

So I'd suggest going seriously slow with the return to talking and solid food. But, hey, you've got the drugs if you want to go that route. Good luck!

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, when you spit it creates a vacuum in the mouth, undoing the clot
smile.gif

Juaninn

Reaction score
What's the situation with alcohol after the operation? I was told not to drink any alcohol for 24 hours because the anaesthetic played around with my heart a bit or something, temporarily, can't remember what exactly was said as I had pretty much just woken up. Can anyone clear this up for me?

EDI"T: Also, any info on brushing teeth?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Amen. If I have to pour bourbon down a funnel to the back of my throat to help me survive this weekend, so be it.

I've done that before. I call that "Saturday".

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Juaninn
What's the situation with alcohol after the operation? I was told not to drink any alcohol for 24 hours because the anaesthetic played around with my heart a bit or something, temporarily, can't remember what exactly was said as I had pretty much just woken up. Can anyone clear this up for me?

EDI"T: Also, any info on brushing teeth?

Don't overtax your liver by dosing yourself with pain meds plus alcohol. It's a bad, bad idea.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not remove them all at once. What a horrid idea. What is the purpose of it? To be in greater pain and unable to open your mouth ?

You should not drink because it thins your blood thus might cause bleeding.

I would only remove the ones that are above the gum line.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I would not remove them all at once. What a horrid idea. What is the purpose of it? To be in greater pain and unable to open your mouth ?

You should not drink because it thins your blood thus might cause bleeding.

I would only remove the ones that are above the gum line.

1) Have you actually had yours removed?

2) Drinking thins your blood? What about tylenol? There's a difference between thinning your blood, or vasodilation, and making you hemorrhage.

3) Based on what? You do realize that once above the gum line they are more prone to infection=more pain.

Seriously, where are you getting your information or is this strictly opinion?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads