• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Tweed - where to shop?

Knick from NY

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last winter I had a very heavy harris tweed sport coat made at Martin Greenfield, plain weave in navy blue with bits of burgundy three roll 2, side vents and patch pockets. It's a cold weather jacket roomy enough that I wear with Jeans over a warm sweater and boots with a drake's scarf. Love the jacket though should have had it a bit shorter. I am looking to buy OTR or MTM something similar in a different color but that will go with all the same stuff, leaning towards grey to keep it as versatile as possible.

I didnt know of JPress until I happened upon the store after a trip through Paul Stuart where I never actually buy anything. Looking online and I came across this, love this fabric but no idea about their quality or fit except that it's OG Trad and I've read boxy & formless. Love this fabric here: https://jpressonline.com/collection...sport-coat-classic-fit?variant=32318808490031

Looking for opinions ordering from there or somewhere similar. Final option would be back to MG or if someone might suggest another MTM in NYC that does tweed well while keeping it at or under the $1250 I paid at MG.

I see Jpress offers MTM at $1295, anyone tried them? It says US made, any idea who?

thanks all

KFNY

Last edited:

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last winter I had a very heavy harris tweed sport coat made at Martin Greenfield, plain weave in navy blue with bits of burgundy three roll 2, side vents and patch pockets. It's a cold weather jacket roomy enough that I wear with Jeans over a warm sweater and boots with a drake's scarf. Love the jacket though should have had it a bit shorter. I am looking to buy OTR or MTM something similar in a different color but that will go with all the same stuff, leaning towards grey to keep it as versatile as possible.

I didnt know of JPress until I happened upon the store after a trip through Paul Stuart where I never actually buy anything. Looking online and I came across this, love this fabric but no idea about their quality or fit except that it's OG Trad and I've read boxy & formless. Love this fabric here: https://jpressonline.com/collection...sport-coat-classic-fit?variant=32318808490031

Looking for opinions ordering from there or somewhere similar. Final option would be back to MG or if someone might suggest another MTM in NYC that does tweed well while keeping it at or under the $1250 I paid at MG.

I see Jpress offers MTM at $1295, anyone tried them? It says US made, any idea who?

thanks all

KFNY

If you like the sack cut, O'Connell's has a bunch of tweeds. Some of the Southwick ones in particular look nice (I have heard good things about the Douglas and Cambridge models, but I am not sure they stock the latter). I don't know what weight their tweeds are, though. Ben Silver also has a more traditional cut, but their tweeds tend to be on the lighter side. In the past, Berg & Berg has stocked heavier tweeds, though--like the other makers--I can't vouch for the quality as I have no experience with their tailoring. I got an Orazio in a heavier Harris Tweed from Michael Jondral a couple of years ago that I really like. I don't know what they'll have this year. I like the Armoury's stuff, but they don't appear to have any heavier tweeds. A lot of people on this forum like Spier and Mackay. I have no experience with them, but it looks like if you go MTM with them, they stock a bunch of Harris Tweeds. J. Press is apparently very mixed. They have historically had problems with their shoulders, but maybe they have resolved these problems. I would be sure to try on in-person before deciding. A lot of stores won't have their full winter selection in stock yet, so you might want to wait a few weeks before making a move.

Knick from NY

Reaction score
How about this?

Though I don't think it would be as heavy as harris tweed.

If you like the sack cut, O'Connell's has a bunch of tweeds. Some of the Southwick ones in particular look nice (I have heard good things about the Douglas and Cambridge models, but I am not sure they stock the latter). I don't know what weight their tweeds are, though. Ben Silver also has a more traditional cut, but their tweeds tend to be on the lighter side. In the past, Berg & Berg has stocked heavier tweeds, though--like the other makers--I can't vouch for the quality as I have no experience with their tailoring. I got an Orazio in a heavier Harris Tweed from Michael Jondral a couple of years ago that I really like. I don't know what they'll have this year. I like the Armoury's stuff, but they don't appear to have any heavier tweeds. A lot of people on this forum like Spier and Mackay. I have no experience with them, but it looks like if you go MTM with them, they stock a bunch of Harris Tweeds. J. Press is apparently very mixed. They have historically had problems with their shoulders, but maybe they have resolved these problems. I would be sure to try on in-person before deciding. A lot of stores won't have their full winter selection in stock yet, so you might want to wait a few weeks before making a move.

I dont necessarily like the sack cut, just need room in the jacket for a sweater. I msg'd jpress to see if the store or the MTM are open. I checked out O'Connels and they had a jacket with similar fabric but I liked the Jpress better. I'd opt for the more fitted version so long as there's room for layers beneath. Could always go back to MG.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a huge selection of tweed patterns and don't mind importing and doing local tailoring, I'm a big fan of Bookster Tailoring in UK. The only challenge with sport coats is theirs are real cuff buttons so if you need sleeves shortened more than a fraction, that's a big deal. You can specify exact lengths if you know them so that isn't an issue.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I dont necessarily like the sack cut, just need room in the jacket for a sweater. I msg'd jpress to see if the store or the MTM are open. I checked out O'Connels and they had a jacket with similar fabric but I liked the Jpress better. I'd opt for the more fitted version so long as there's room for layers beneath. Could always go back to MG.

You were just mentioning J. Press and they do the sack cut--that is why I mentioned it. O'Connell's pictures tend to be of poor quality, so I would keep that it mind. I mentioned them because they probably have the biggest stock of tweed and because Southwick has a good reputation. FWIW, I believe the nicer stuff at J. Press is Southwick, so they are pretty similar (I believe O'Connell's is cheaper).

A lot of the more popular places to get tailoring these days don't offer heavier tweeds rtw for whatever reason. That is another reason why I was mentioning more traditional clothiers. If you are willing to do MTO or MTM, I strongly recommend the Armoury. Their model 3 is very nice.

Knick from NY

Reaction score
You were just mentioning J. Press and they do the sack cut--that is why I mentioned it. O'Connell's pictures tend to be of poor quality, so I would keep that it mind. I mentioned them because they probably have the biggest stock of tweed and because Southwick has a good reputation. FWIW, I believe the nicer stuff at J. Press is Southwick, so they are pretty similar (I believe O'Connell's is cheaper).

A lot of the more popular places to get tailoring these days don't offer heavier tweeds rtw for whatever reason. That is another reason why I was mentioning more traditional clothiers. If you are willing to do MTO or MTM, I strongly recommend the Armoury. Their model 3 is very nice.
Thank you. The sack cut does makes sense if I'm not there in person, otherwise I'd be guessing at a size that will accomodate the layers. I'll check out the Armoury. Greenfield had an overwhelming amount of fabrics to choose from and it's got some shape to it as I brought layers with me to the fitting.

This looks pretty great tho: https://oconnellsclothing.com/tailo...with-red-blue-yellow-oc029-hd509-e6-hb1a.html

Camerashy

Reaction score
Is this of interest

Knick from NY

Reaction score
Is this of interest
That is a great jacket, but would need to try in person to size it with right for wearing over layers. Love that cut but with the fabricin the Southwick on Oconnels which I linked.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Thank you. The sack cut does makes sense if I'm not there in person, otherwise I'd be guessing at a size that will accomodate the layers. I'll check out the Armoury. Greenfield had an overwhelming amount of fabrics to choose from and it's got some shape to it as I brought layers with me to the fitting.

This looks pretty great tho: https://oconnellsclothing.com/tailo...with-red-blue-yellow-oc029-hd509-e6-hb1a.html

To be clear, I am not trying to push the sack cut in particular (I mainly wear Neapolitan or Neapolitan inspired tailoring). It's just that you'll find more rtw heavy tweeds in the sack cut and you were already consider J. Press. Other things might fit just fine. The sack cut is not necessarily any easier to fit except in the waist.

That said, I think the sack is underrated, especially for a more athletic body type. Here are a couple of examples.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seixas-2.jpg

Based on the way he's standing with his arms, this makes him look like a pear, I don't find that desirable.

I'd say the main benefit of undarted cuts is they don't mess up the pattern on jackets like this.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

thanks all

KFNY
Looks boxy. Doesn't seem top have TRUE natural shoulders.
Press may be slipping again. Check out O'Donnells for huge selection.

If you are ever in Edinburgh Scotland Stewart Christie has heavy tweeds
in bespoke, MTM and RTW. Their MTM and RTW has those square shoulders
that Brits love. But I've seen their bespoke with natural shoulders.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seixas-2.jpg

Based on the way he's standing with his arms, this makes him look like a pear, I don't find that desirable.

I'd say the main benefit of undarted cuts is they don't mess up the pattern on jackets like this.
Hardly a pear! That's Vic Sexias, Top Ten Tennis player and World War 2 bomber pilot,
now 97.

Last edited:

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you’re describing is exactly what Spier and MacKay do really well. Their contemporary fit has room and drape—and they offer a Neapolitan-inspired cut in fabrics from reputable mills: Moon, Fox Bros, Drago, Marling & Evans, Minnis. Fantastic MTO program with countless off-the-menu options. You’re making a mistake if you don’t investigate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads