1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Coat.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by greatfire, Sep 26, 2006.

1. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

I tried this a month or two ago, but without very much luck. I am looking to purchase a good winter coat. I don't even care what type of coat it is now, as long as it looks stylish in an elegant (and simple??) way. Any help appreciated. I would ask for jeans and t-shirt recommendations as well, but that was a complete disaster last time.

Thanks!

Stats:

America. college. New York. Very cold.

20. 6'1". 160lbs. skinny. african american.

chest: measures 40", wear a 42", look best in a 44" jacket.
    waist: measures 32", wear a 33-34"

I don't have a style person. I'd like to look good, but I guess I tend towards simple, yet effective outfits. I like loose fitting jeans (not baggy, but the skinny-jeans type stuff I see on here are too small), and well-fitting t-shirts with a longer short sleeve than I tend to see people wear. I like urban style, but I just don't like how baggy the stuff is, and I like the trendy preppy chic style, but I don't like how tight the stuff is.. so I am looking for a compromise.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

someone posted a couple down jackets in another thread, you may want to check those out.

3. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

so, you're looking for something that is either like fashion clothing but baggier or like urban clothing but not as baggy, both for a coat and for clothing in general?

4. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

so, you're looking for something that is either like fashion clothing but baggier or like urban clothing but not as baggy, both for a coat and for clothing in general?
    that last bit was to try and explain my "style."

I'm just looking for a nice, stylish, yet not-too-flashy winter coat that is shorter than 3/4 length and longer than belt buckle length.

Yep.. sorry for the confusion.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Anything from JCrew is right up your alley

6. corbu

corbu Senior member

Anything from JCrew is right up your alley
    My pea coat from JCrew is a looser fitting (i.e. not tight, like preffered on this board), very warm coat. I did have to get the arms hemmed though, they were a bit too long. However, you may not have this problem.

7. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

I'm going to hijack my own thread for a minute, to show visual examples of what I can't seem to describe.

The look:
    [​IMG]

The fit of the jeans:
    [​IMG]

The look:
    [​IMG]

8. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

What do you think of these?

I just looked through jcrew, as suggested..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty nice IMO.

10. Bungee Man

Bungee Man Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the first one.

11. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

I can't wait to start wearing my peacoat again.

12. knucks

knucks Senior member

I want that second coat..if only I could find it somewhere for cheaper?

13. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

ok.. what forum should I post on for help... does anyone know?

14. corbu

corbu Senior member

i got mine on ebay during the summer for about half the cost... may want to try there first

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Dude, I don't know what you're looking for that you haven't gotten/can't find. You want a winter coat, stylish but understated, medium fit, somewhere between urban and preppy, right? J. Crew may be a little generic, but those coats fit your specs perfectly--and they're not too expensive, and they're widely available.

There are numerous threads here, some very recent, that deal with cool outerwear. Denimdestroyedmylife is selling a nifty dunderdon parka, but that may be a little different silhouette than you're looking for. There's endless talk here about Engineered Garments, who have a handful of wool coats that might fit your bill, but may not be warm enough. If you're not satisfied, you can try the "men's clothing" forum here, but posters will probably steer you towards overcoats.

What is it about the coats posted that you don't like? The fit? The materials? The styling?

16. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

I posted those after looking through the J.Crew online shop. I like them, that's why I chose them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are good. I'm trying to find something that's good, that I also like (I'll like it if it meets my compromise, or whatever). I guess that perhaps I'm trying to get insight into what makes a coat hot or not. For example, I've seen a million peacoats, and they all look the same to me, but some are applauded for excellence, and others are ridiculed. I don't understand what's going on here. That means to me that I am probably missing something, maybe because I'm not aware of the various "options" out there, as far as clothing of my specific style go. So if I just run with my choice without advice, then I'll lose again.

I also don't know what type of winter coat looks good on me (tried some on in the store, and couldn't see any differences among them), but that is a seperate problem.

17. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Denimdestroyedmylife is selling a nifty dunderdon parka, but that may be a little different silhouette than you're looking for.
    Good suggestion. Hey, even if the one I'm selling does not appeal, Dunderdon makes quality, understated, rough-and-tumble, and stylish products.

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

The J Crew coats are fine. They won't draw accolades here because most posters want something with more... design, style, exclusivity, luxury, history, etc. However, that doesn't concern most people, and your original post didn't imply that it mattered to you.

Most posters here probably also want a more tailored style than you've asked for. J's p coat (pictured in another thread) fits him almost like a sportcoat, while an off-the-rack J. Crew coat will (probably) be less fitted, especially if you're quite thin. Of course, if you want to layer/wear baggier clothing under your coat, a fitted coat won't work. His coat is also a vintage piece, naval issue, and a family heirloom, IIRC, all of which are pretty cool, in my opinion.

I might recommend Spiewak if the workwear aesthetic appeals to you--they're inexpensive, authentic, and generally durable, but not lux. You might look for a cashmere blend coat (not spiewak) if wool/poly or wool doesn't appeal. Another popular cold-weather coat right now is a military surplus, heavy M-65 coat; alpha industries seems to be the benchmark for a good version. With the liner, that's a nice winter coat, but it's pretty informal/not elegant. EDIT: A lot of designers/streetwear companies popular on this forum and superfuture (Supreme, W+H, etc.) make more exclusive/designed versions of the M-65 right now.

Anyway, good luck, and don't be put off... styleforum has been a great resource for many folks here.

19. j

j Senior member Admin

I posted those after looking through the J.Crew online shop. I like them, that's why I chose them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are good. I'm trying to find something that's good, that I also like (I'll like it if it meets my compromise, or whatever). I guess that perhaps I'm trying to get insight into what makes a coat hot or not. For example, I've seen a million peacoats, and they all look the same to me, but some are applauded for excellence, and others are ridiculed. I don't understand what's going on here. That means to me that I am probably missing something, maybe because I'm not aware of the various "options" out there, as far as clothing of my specific style go. So if I just run with my choice without advice, then I'll lose again.

I also don't know what type of winter coat looks good on me (tried some on in the store, and couldn't see any differences among them), but that is a seperate problem.

I think the problem is that you don't have much of an eye for what fits you well. Why don't you try some stuff on and post pics? Blank the face out if you want and we can tell you which one fits your shape best.

20. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

I think the problem is that you don't have much of an eye for what fits you well. Why don't you try some stuff on and post pics? Blank the face out if you want and we can tell you which one fits your shape best.
    I don't have a camera at this point in time.. I'll see what I can do.