• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Coat.

greatfire

Reaction score
I tried this a month or two ago, but without very much luck. I am looking to purchase a good winter coat. I don't even care what type of coat it is now, as long as it looks stylish in an elegant (and simple??) way. Any help appreciated. I would ask for jeans and t-shirt recommendations as well, but that was a complete disaster last time.

Thanks!

Stats:

America. college. New York. Very cold.

20. 6'1". 160lbs. skinny. african american.

chest: measures 40", wear a 42", look best in a 44" jacket.
waist: measures 32", wear a 33-34"

I don't have a style person. I'd like to look good, but I guess I tend towards simple, yet effective outfits. I like loose fitting jeans (not baggy, but the skinny-jeans type stuff I see on here are too small), and well-fitting t-shirts with a longer short sleeve than I tend to see people wear. I like urban style, but I just don't like how baggy the stuff is, and I like the trendy preppy chic style, but I don't like how tight the stuff is.. so I am looking for a compromise.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
someone posted a couple down jackets in another thread, you may want to check those out.

hobo

Reaction score
so, you're looking for something that is either like fashion clothing but baggier or like urban clothing but not as baggy, both for a coat and for clothing in general?

greatfire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobo
so, you're looking for something that is either like fashion clothing but baggier or like urban clothing but not as baggy, both for a coat and for clothing in general?
that last bit was to try and explain my "style."

I'm just looking for a nice, stylish, yet not-too-flashy winter coat that is shorter than 3/4 length and longer than belt buckle length.

Yep.. sorry for the confusion.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anything from JCrew is right up your alley

corbu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Anything from JCrew is right up your alley
My pea coat from JCrew is a looser fitting (i.e. not tight, like preffered on this board), very warm coat. I did have to get the arms hemmed though, they were a bit too long. However, you may not have this problem.

greatfire

Reaction score
I'm going to hijack my own thread for a minute, to show visual examples of what I can't seem to describe.

The look:
111981231_67117c50b2.jpg

The fit of the jeans:
25738407_f0a38760bf.jpg

The look:
224181200_b71c12ac83.jpg

greatfire

Reaction score
What do you think of these?

I just looked through jcrew, as suggested..

77702_WB2192_FA06_m.jpg

77700_WB2193_FA06_v4.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greatfire
What do you think of these?

I just looked through jcrew, as suggested..

77702_WB2192_FA06_m.jpg

77700_WB2193_FA06_v4.jpg

Pretty nice IMO.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I can't wait to start wearing my peacoat again.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want that second coat..if only I could find it somewhere for cheaper?

greatfire

Reaction score
ok.. what forum should I post on for help... does anyone know?

corbu

Reaction score
i got mine on ebay during the summer for about half the cost... may want to try there first

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok.. what forum should I post on for help... does anyone know?
Dude, I don't know what you're looking for that you haven't gotten/can't find. You want a winter coat, stylish but understated, medium fit, somewhere between urban and preppy, right? J. Crew may be a little generic, but those coats fit your specs perfectly--and they're not too expensive, and they're widely available.

There are numerous threads here, some very recent, that deal with cool outerwear. Denimdestroyedmylife is selling a nifty dunderdon parka, but that may be a little different silhouette than you're looking for. There's endless talk here about Engineered Garments, who have a handful of wool coats that might fit your bill, but may not be warm enough. If you're not satisfied, you can try the "men's clothing" forum here, but posters will probably steer you towards overcoats.

What is it about the coats posted that you don't like? The fit? The materials? The styling?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads