• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Hunt quality

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I know William Hunt is a Savile Row tailor, and their website sells mainly formal suits and jackets.
But I also see a lot of William Hunt branded items on sale on eBay and various discount type places. So do they also make a line of everyday menswear? And is it considered to be good quality?
I'm asking this to help me understand more about how the clothes and fashion industry operates, rather than any particular interest in this brand, I could probably have substituted WH with several other brands I've come across like Gieves and Hawkes that seem to be both high-end bespoke menswear as well as almost high street labels.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with William Hunt, but a quick look at their website leaves me no doubt that they sell a very wide range of tailored clothing. This, for instance: 43% wool/52% poly/5% elastane at 355 GBP retail is unlikely to be even half-canvassed. But how much should that matter?

As I'm sure you've read over and over again, be careful about judging 'quality' of tailored clothing. What does this mean and how does it affect how clothes look on you, how they feel, how they last? I would argue that construction 'quality' has relatively little effect on the first two compared to other variables, and might have something to do with the third.

Fit & styling are always going to be the most important. What fits me might not fit you, and vice versa. What style are you looking for -- in tailored clothing, for example, a more structured look, a more relaxed/casual look? How does the shoulder expression interact with pocket styling, lapels, buttons (just as an example)? How do you create outfits that work? It sounds embarrassingly trite but too many people on SF obsess about 'quality' and 'value' and then post pictures of themselves in poorly-fitting clothes or badly styled outfits. After this comes fabric (IMO) and lastly 'quality'.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Sure, but there's looking good in SF WAYWT threads and there's clothing that's actually practical, wearable and enjoyable in the real world. This vague term "quality" might be of low importance to the former but very important to the latter. Whether or not a piece of clothing will fall apart after a few washes makes little difference to how many Likes it will get when posted, brand new, as part of an outfit here. But for someone wanting to build a practical wardrobe of clothes that don't need replacing from season to season, isn't it quite an important factor?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a relatively inexpensive (around 375 GBP when I bought it) half-canvassed blazer from Brooks Brothers that I bought 11 years ago when I first began to think about what I wore, and it’s still going strong. In terms of tailored clothing, something that is not from a bargain basement retailer will likely last many seasons. I don’t find that my clothes literally ‘fall apart after a few washes’ but maybe I’m just lucky? My tailored clothing comes from a wide range of makers and price points (half-canvassed, full-canvassed and machine sewn, full-canvassed with significant amounts of handwork) and I don’t think that durability is a concern of mine across that range. I acknowledge that fabric quality does matter, so I do try to put some thought into that.

where I do think ‘quality’ matters a lot is knitwear. It can be hard to tell whether/how much a new sweater is likely to pill down the road. This is where I do like to buy from brands recognized to make good knitwear.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
William Hunt maybe on Savile Row, but he is not a Savile Row tailor. He has previously been in Covent Garden and The Kings Road. He also has a store in Harrogate. As with any brand, his out of season stuff will end up in TK Maxx, which I am sure is where eBayers find their items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads