• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why should I buy a Mac??

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lenovo thinkpad. It's plain, black, and indestructible.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP said he had a problem with his HP laptops, not WindowsOS laptops - try a different brand, I've always had problems with HP/Compaq.

Apple now uses the same hardware platform as PC but Apple hardware is always going to be more expensive than the PC brands because of that pretty little apple logo on it. You are paying for style.

Peripherals and hardware upgrades are plentiful and cheap for Windows-based machines. You have a lot customization options available out there. Far fewer options are available for the OSX operating system because of the lack of OSX compatible software/drivers to support them.

Apple OSX is based on FreeBSD (a flavor of Unix) so it's going to be more stable than Windows, less susceptible to malware/spyware than Windows and because it's made specifically for Apple's hardware specs - better tuned out of the box for the hardware than most Windows machines.

So I guess my point is that uber-geeks lean towards Windows because they have so much flexibility and they are savvy enough to work out the bugs as they go.

If you just want something stable, safe and reliable and can afford price of a mac, get a mac.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
So I guess my point is that uber-geeks lean towards Windows because they have so much flexibility and they are savvy enough to work out the bugs as they go.

crackup[1].gif
That's a good one Brett. I have some quality engineers at my client Dell you should meet.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late to the convo but here's my 2 cents. There's only two reasons NOT to buy a Mac:

1) You've already invested $ into Windows software and don't want to futz with virtualization or buy it all over again.

2) Have a number of other PC's or perhipherals that won't play nice with a Mac.

Otherwise, its a great little platform with novel and enjoyable tools. Short item #1, I'd be using a Mac for my home office.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, serious or otherwise. Much appreciated.

Galen_M

Reaction score
This is something I've been dealing with lately. I need to buy my little sister a computer since she'll be starting college in January. I have a MacBook, but I really don't feel that it has anything over any of the Dells we've had over the years, so here's my take. Keep in mind, I'm no kind of nerd, I just barely use the thing.

First of all, you already know how to use Windows well enough to do whatever it is that you do, so there is no bullshit "learning curve" argument. Second of all, you're going to pay about twice as much for a similarly equipped machine, and there are no video card options. My year old MacBook has an integrated graphics card, which is apparently a bad thing and it overheats like a mother when I do any intense photo editing (like batch processing from my old 12mp output Fuji S2). The white bodied MacBook sucks because it will eventually show stains unless you are extremely meticulous. And worst of all, they advertise as being "green," which infuriates me.

There are a number of other gripes I have as well, but when it comes down to it, I told my sister to give me a few good reasons why I should help her buy a MacBook. All she could say was "It's better." and stormed off when I asked her to elaborate. I suppose I will take her to the Mac store and let them try to convince me, but I'm cheap and critical of the hype.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
There are rumors that MacWorld will present some upgraded Mac Minis. That could be a more economical way to enjoy the world of OSX and Apple.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Yeah. And no Steve Jobs.
And this is the last MacWorld Expo Apple will attend.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Galen_M
I need to buy my little sister a computer since she'll be starting college in January.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
There are rumors that MacWorld will present some upgraded Mac Minis. That could be a more economical way to enjoy the world of OSX and Apple.

Not exactly a great suggestion IMO for someone going off to college who generally like to take their computers with them to class/the library/back home during break.

Plus, she'd still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Galen_M
This is something I've been dealing with lately. I need to buy my little sister a computer since she'll be starting college in January. I have a MacBook, but I really don't feel that it has anything over any of the Dells we've had over the years, so here's my take. Keep in mind, I'm no kind of nerd, I just barely use the thing.

Their laptops are durable as hell. Not Panasonic Toughbook durable, but pretty damn strong.

Berticus

Reaction score
I've heard the opposite, that their products break easily.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
Their laptops are durable as hell. Not Panasonic Toughbook durable, but pretty damn strong.

Well, at least they are aluminium and you can bend them back into shape... but come to think of it, I've never had a laptop I've had to bend back into shape before. Nor machines that have to go to the (very nice) Apple Store so often to be looked at...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^Yeah. And no Steve Jobs.
And this is the last MacWorld Expo Apple will attend.

Phil Shiller is also fun to watch.

Originally Posted by Jumbie
Not exactly a great suggestion IMO for someone going off to college who generally like to take their computers with them to class/the library/back home during break.

Plus, she'd still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Well yes, having an existing monitor would be important. KB and mouse are cheap.

A Dell laptop may be the cheapest entry for a decent laptop and the portability may be critical...however Windows sucks imho and I use it every day so I know its problems well. Macs are more secure and better all around based on my experience with my iMac.

It really all depends on budget.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
MacBook and Powerbook durability has been excellent based I have seen with friends that have them.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It really all depends on budget.
I guess there's a budget band, utility - and a type of person - where the Mac makes sense. In terms of what I buy for tech, I'm pretty much unlimited - and the Mac isn't quite gelling for me. In every category I own - Macbook Air, Pro, iMac and Pro - I do spend more per machine on comparable Windows machines, while it seems for many the Mac in their usage mode would be the most expensive machine they'd ever buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads