1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why should I buy a Mac??

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by RedScarf7, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I'd disagree with the first sentence - the support is, if you strip away the shiny 'Genius effect' and actually look at downtime, pretty dire. I've seriously spent a lot of time at the Genius Bar when I feel I don't have to, and I'm not talking about the waiting time (I have Procare).

And I also disagree with the iLife thing: It'd cost you about $300 through the Dell Store for example to replicate iLife and to exceed it in terms of some function, if not being as idiot-proof. The difference with the Mac is that it's in front of your face so you don't have to go and look, and it's all 'good enough'. And that's what most people who don't know what they're doing, and don't want to search, want. That is the reason why it's popular. Every single iLife app starts to constrict you in terms of capability pretty quickly if you're fast at picking things up.

There is also a difference between desktops and laptops - and a machine you bought which you baby yourself, as opposed to 'just a work machine'. I've noticed many people are unable to make that distinction.

Actually my wife uses the iMac for her real estate business so it sees heavy usage, at least a work machine's amount.

Maybe your local Genius bars are not well staffed but ours in Atlanta are very good. The Lenox store is historically one of the highest sales stores for Apple and the geniuses there have been excellent in my experience.

As for iLife, it is a very functional suite but Apple's pro applications like Logic are every bit as good as anything else out there. We have a large animation community here and I know one of the CEOs of a design company. They use PowerMacs for almost every animator and are the folks behind Adult Swim. They have tested all sorts of machines but they feel the Macs are the best.

2. Zandros

Zandros Senior member

Why? What is your point?
    I'm not sure I really have a point, I just see these discussions way too often without any evidence. "Macs are virus free." "No, they're not, there's malware for OS X too, so it's also vulnerable." Etc. As I mentioned earlier, I know of two trojans. I'd very much like some actual proof that there is more working malware, otherwise the counter argument is pretty unnecessary in my opinion. I know you said a few, so it's not a jab at you specifically, I'd just like to know.
    You remove it so that your battery doesn't always stay fully charged. This is only if you leave your laptop charged for weeks/months.
    True enough, but if this is a real concern, why buy a laptop in the first place? Anyway, removing the battery when the computer's only power source is through the magsafe connector is a little bit risky.

3. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Apple > Sony I hate my sony vaio laptop.

4. montyharding

montyharding Senior member

Actually my wife uses the iMac for his real estate business so it sees heavy usage, at least a work machine's amount.

Maybe your local Genius bars are not well staffed but ours in Atlanta are very good. The Lenox store is historically one of the highest sales stores for Apple and the geniuses there have been excellent in my experience.

As for iLife, it is a very functional suite but Apple's pro applications like Logic are every bit as good as anything else out there. We have a large animation community here and I know one of the CEOs of a design company. They use PowerMacs for almost every animator and are the folks behind Adult Swim. They have tested all sorts of machines but they feel the Macs are the best.

Oh - I don't doubt the Geniuses are good. They are for retail tech support. It's how often I have to be there - geddit? - that is the problem compared to anything else I have.

So - the sex change op went OK then?

5. huy

huy Senior member

True enough, but if this is a real concern, why buy a laptop in the first place? Anyway, removing the battery when the computer's only power source is through the magsafe connector is a little bit risky.

This is actually a real concern for many laptop users. An example would be a college student returning home during summer break and his main computer is his laptop. He leaves it plugged in on a desk for the entire break because he doesn't need to carry it anywhere like the library or coffee shop like when he was back in school.

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Apple's market share in computers especially notebooks has grown substantially since Jobs came back.

--Andre

Yes. But the computer market share gains didn't come until after iPod and iTunes. Jobs is like a dope dealer: he hooked people with the iPod and they bought into the Mac concept as a follow-up to their mp3 jones.

7. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Yes. But the computer market share gains didn't come until after iPod and iTunes. Jobs is like a dope dealer: he hooked people with the iPod and they bought into the Mac concept as a follow-up to their mp3 jones.

Agreed. Same thing with the iPhone (as in it prompted some Mac sales).

Have to admit that it worked though.

8. magnus_h

magnus_h Senior member

This is actually a real concern for many laptop users. An example would be a college student returning home during summer break and his main computer is his laptop. He leaves it plugged in on a desk for the entire break because he doesn't need to carry it anywhere like the library or coffee shop like when he was back in school.

How about just leaving the battery in? It will be just fine.

9. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I look at it a bit differently.

People bought iPods and saw the user friendliness of the hardware and software and integration ease with iTunes.

Based on this favorable experience, they wondered what Apple might be able to do with its computers and purchased a Mac.

10. huy

huy Senior member

How about just leaving the battery in? It will be just fine.

You can do that but it will shorten the life of the battery.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I look at it a bit differently.

People bought iPods and saw the user friendliness of the hardware and software and integration ease with iTunes.

Based on this favorable experience, they wondered what Apple might be able to do with its computers and purchased a Mac.

[​IMG]

12. Zandros

Zandros Senior member

It's alien to me. I like the freedom a laptop gives me. Take it to the sofa, outside on the deck, to the kitchen, looking up recipes online...

13. huy

huy Senior member

It's alien to me. I like the freedom a laptop gives me. Take it to the sofa, outside on the deck, to the kitchen, looking up recipes online...

Some people like desktop replacement laptops that weigh 10lbs, have a 17" screen and battery that only lasts an hour. Those machines usually don't get moved too often.

14. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

Some people like desktop replacement laptops that weigh 10lbs, have a 17" screen and battery that only lasts an hour. Those machines usually don't get moved too often.

Might as well just get a desktop...

15. magnus_h

magnus_h Senior member

You can do that but it will shorten the life of the battery.

*shrug*

My Macbook's almost 2.5 years old. Spent about 80-90% of that time plugged in and the battery's still fine. But I guess it depends on what laptops you buy. [​IMG]

16. huy

huy Senior member

*shrug*

My Macbook's almost 2.5 years old. Spent about 80-90% of that time plugged in and the battery's still fine. But I guess it depends on what laptops you buy. [​IMG]

Yup, you don't want to get one of those laptops with the exploding batteries...

Your battery is losing it's charge faster if you keep it plugged in:
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm