• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why should I buy a Mac??

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
I recently switch to a macbook b/c i needed a computer for home and work...i download a lot of (ehem)...songs, which use to fill my PC with viruses. Couldnt take the chance with a work comp so got a Mac.

Still getting used to it after a couple months...but very happy with it.

nostrings

Reaction score
The OP stated that their reason for cosidering a Mac was due to hardware failures on the PC side.

I've used Macs since '94.

The last three Macs that I've used have ALL had hardware failures:
My G5 (for which apple charges a premium) has had a failed motherboard, and a bad power supply.
The processors must be set at "reduced performance" so that the cooling system doesn't throw a fit over the unbearable heat. And this is the 'premium' machine. There's also the whirrrring, chirping, and excessive fan noise that most people attribute to the operating system.

Count one bad logic board and recalled battery for an Apple Powerbook

Also, One iMac that decided to try and burn itself alive.

I'd jump on the Linux train tomorrow, but my dependence on the overpriced Adobe Suite prevents me from doing so.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nostrings
Also, One iMac that decided to try and burn itself alive.
lol8[1].gif

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Yes there is a Windows and Linux version, but is there a Mac GIMP?

You also need X11 for the Mac version of GIMP, and yes, it is lacking features.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
You also need X11 for the Mac version of GIMP, and yes, it is lacking features.
yeah, to be honest I think that anything that requires X11 basically means "no Mac version yet"

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Back in the pre/during Win95 days, macs owned. now, there's really no point. Same hardware, jacked up prices, marsupialed case design so you can't replace your own hard drive without 3 hours of labor... nothing special about OSX, it was about the time OSX became standard that I jumped ship and sold my Mac after using them for all my life.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
now, there's really no point. Same hardware, jacked up prices, marsupialed case design so you can't replace your own hard drive without 3 hours of labor... nothing special about OSX, it was about the time OSX became standard that I jumped ship and sold my Mac after using them for all my life.

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!
lol8[1].gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Back in the pre/during Win95 days, macs owned. now, there's really no point. Same hardware, jacked up prices, marsupialed case design so you can't replace your own hard drive without 3 hours of labor... nothing special about OSX, it was about the time OSX became standard that I jumped ship and sold my Mac after using them for all my life.

Nothing special about OSX? It destroys XP and Vista in my experience.

mink31

Reaction score
... marsupialed case design so you can't replace your own hard drive without 3 hours of labor...
It would take me literally 10 seconds to swap harddrives on the new MacBook...so now they're without a doubt less marsupialed in this regard.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to want one, until I had to start supporting them. I am completely underwhelmed hardware wise, and OS X seems decent at best.

If they were competitively priced, maybe worth considering. As is, LOFL

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
It would take me literally 10 seconds to swap harddrives on the new MacBook...so now they're without a doubt less marsupialed in this regard.

That's nice but the MacBook air still requires surgery.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why am i reading this stupid thread when i have an exam saturday and I've spent about 1 day all term learning the course material?
confused.gif

Reaction score
Guys i need to get new Laptop - predominately for Photo storage/editing aswell as Housing my Large music/movie catalogue. I am looking at getting a new Macbook probably 13 "

If anyone has any other recomendations for my needs i would appreciate any avice.

Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads