• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why not choose MTM (mr. ned) over RTW at $1k?

aen

Reaction score
Why not MTM (mr ned?) at $1k price-point?
I'm looking to buy my first suit, 2 button in navy. I'm looking to spend about $1k or a bit under that. Is there any reason I should go with anything other than a MTM suit by Mr. Ned for that price? I could shop hop into Nordstrom or an outlet or whatnot and spend a little more, or a little less, but am I really ever going to get the kind of fit in RTW that I would with a MTM suit, no matter the alteration done to a RTW? I'm of a pretty average build, or at least so I thought, but I have some difficulty getting suits to fit - I'm a 42 chest, but 42R suits have sleeves that are a tad too short and 42L is too long, the bottom hanging way below my crotch. 40L seems to fit also, but again, is a bit long. Also, I've a 33 waist and if anything am a bit heavier now (185lb. 5'11") than I am usually, and when lighter wear a 32 waist - that makes for a 9-10 drop, from 42R, which makes for pants that seem too baggy. Beyond that I've got muscular a (read "big") butt and highs, so I feel like I'd be well off with a suit that flattered me specifically, not a generic model body. Also, since I want to buy a navy suit, I feel like my options are somewhat limited in terms of outlet shopping - they seem much more to concentrate on black and striped/patterned suits, usually offering only 1 or 3 suits in navy. Any comments? Btw - I live near New York, so when I speak of MTM, I'm really speaking of Mr. Ned.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, for you the answer seems to be Mr. Ned. Assuming you like the cut of suit he will make you, he probably is the best option. If you are looking for a Borrelli/Isaia type of suit, Mr. Ned cannot make that.

BTW, I sent a friend over there the other day and he told that Vashram (sp?) told him that the really don't do CMT (my friend wanted a jacket with his fabric) and only after asking a few times did he agree and asked for $550. Did any of you guys turn V off to CMT
devil.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I choose RTW (at times) over Ned because of fabric/style, fit, and cost. I bought a much better RTW suit for less than Ned earlier this summer. The $400 or whatever I saved is a lot of moolah on my budget. Also, the fit was great. But I wasn't looking for an exact item, which can be hard to find on sale. Also, if you can't find a good fit RTW, the value of MTM rises significantly.

aen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Well, for you the answer seems to be Mr. Ned. Assuming you like the cut of suit he will make you, he probably is the best option. If you are looking for a Borrelli/Isaia type of suit, Mr. Ned cannot make that.
Actually, I have no idea if I like the cut of suit he will make you, nor do I even know what kind of cut I want - I can't tell you what a borrelli/isaia type suit is, actually. I do know that I want something relatively form-fitting, and not big and drapey like BB suits.
Is there anywhere that someone could point me that I could see visual examples of italian/english/american cuts? (Which one should I expect from Mr. Ned's?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads