• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why can't you buy Saphir Renovateur in bulk?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is generally believed that this is the best shoe conditioner out there, and that conditioner should be used on your shoes after nearly every wearing, or at least every week or two. So why isn't it available in bigger jars? Or perhaps with a discount if you order ten jars at a time or sign up for a periodic shipment? I know they're trying to make as much money as they can, but they might actually sell more of it and make more money if it was available in bigger containers. I know that when I run out, I don't always order more immediately. I'll often switch to Lexol for a while just because it comes in the big containers and I don't have to keep reordering it.

Or is it available in bigger containers somewhere and I am just not aware of it?

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely not after every wear, week, or two weeks. Maybe once every 2-3 months, when you're trying to remove a stain, or just a dot on the toe if your mirror shine got scuffed to dissolve some wax and flatten everything back out.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider it a conditioner, certainly not a great one. Bick4 is a very good (and inexpensive) true conditioner. Instead, it's more of an occasional all purpose touch up treatment as suggested by @rbhan12

cypi2

Reaction score
Or perhaps with a discount if you order ten jars at a time or sign up for a periodic shipment?
@knittieguy

You may want to try this site: https://www.valmour.com/renovator-shoe-polish-saphir.html

The price goes down as you increase the number of 50 ml jars you order (For some reason the same thing does not work with the 75 ml jar). I do not know if this is a good deal. It must depend on the USD/EUR currency exchange rate.

But, I certainly recommend Valmour. I order from them in large quantities to bring prices down every now and then. If I remember well, they only deliver through La Poste and USPS for the U.S. So orders usually take an average of 10 days to arrive. But, as far as I am concerned they always arrived.

By the way, I agree with @rbhan12 and @Count de Monet, once every quarter or a couple of times a year should be enough renovator.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is generally believed that this is the best shoe conditioner out there, and that conditioner should be used on your shoes after nearly every wearing, or at least every week or two. So why isn't it available in bigger jars? Or perhaps with a discount if you order ten jars at a time or sign up for a periodic shipment? I know they're trying to make as much money as they can, but they might actually sell more of it and make more money if it was available in bigger containers. I know that when I run out, I don't always order more immediately. I'll often switch to Lexol for a while just because it comes in the big containers and I don't have to keep reordering it.

Or is it available in bigger containers somewhere and I am just not aware of it?

"after nearly every wearing, or at least every week or two." Far too often an utter waste of money and effort which the shoes do not even vaguely require.

The size of jar available reflects the true need for the product as opposed to your perverse regime.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize I had such a "perverse" regimen. Although that really doesn't explain why you don't get a discount for buying in bulk. But thanks

Last edited:

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize I had such a "perverse" regimen. Although that really doesn't explain why you don't get a discount for buying in bulk. But thanks

Because there isn't a wholesaler that will sell it in bulk direct to a customer.

Massdrop currently has a sale for 2 conditioner/cream polish for $30. They take off shipping if you buy 4 ($60). Maybe you can contact them and they can broker a bulk deal for you.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/saphir-cream-polishes-and-conditioner

alford78

Reaction score
I'm new to taking care of my own shoes (sad I know but true). I didn't want to ruin my exotics and couldn't form a mirror shine for the life of me on my calf leathers.

I was under the impression saphir renovateur was the best to use but have seen a few mention bick4.

So not to hijack but was is the best "cleaner/ remover" for exotics? I was just about to purchase a starter kit from saphir with the reptile stuff and regular shoe care creams and cleaners but if there is something I can clean a desperately in need of overhauling gators which product should I get?

I wouldn't have posted here but Bick4 and Saphir are both mentioned back to back.

Thanks and great forum.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm new to taking care of my own shoes (sad I know but true). I didn't want to ruin my exotics and couldn't form a mirror shine for the life of me on my calf leathers.

I was under the impression saphir renovateur was the best to use but have seen a few mention bick4.

So not to hijack but was is the best "cleaner/ remover" for exotics? I was just about to purchase a starter kit from saphir with the reptile stuff and regular shoe care creams and cleaners but if there is something I can clean a desperately in need of overhauling gators which product should I get?

I wouldn't have posted here but Bick4 and Saphir are both mentioned back to back.

Thanks and great forum.

Dyo Reptile Conditioner is also very good and cheap. It cleans and conditions exotic skins. I have been using for years.

google for good prices

justonemore

Reaction score
The reason you may not find "bulk" discounts is that Saphir may not offer such thing either...Many European companies don't really go Under the whole economies of scale thing with smaller personal use items...as an example...I can buy 6 indidividual cans of Heinekan for the same price I can buy a 6 pack for the same price I can buy a 12 pack...If I go big enough, the price pewr unit will go down a bit..but not the amount one thinks of in the u.s...As an expat, I found it hard to work my head around it as well sometimes...I mean isn't it just logic that a single can in the fridge should cost more than that warm 6 pack on the shelf? An nbo, we don't have 10 different sizes of Heineken with the larger sizes costing less per ounce....We do have a few bulk stores...but these mostly cater to small restaurants/kiosks/etc....Soooo...Tying it together...I would guess that Saphir doesn't have a gallon tub available...and that their idea of bulk would be a shoe store buying several 20 jar cases in multiple colors...I've had the same single jar supply for about 2 years (and I have a a decent size collection of shoes)...and I'm no where near done with them...A case of 20? At 43 years old, that would probably be enough to outlast me...and who knows what the shelf life is anyways.. $50-$60 bucks every couple years for single resupply is fine enough with me...

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. Thanks.

For the previous posters, I want to assure them that I have sought treatment for my perversity and the therapy is going well. My shoes don't look as nice, but my wallet is feeling much better.

justonemore

Reaction score
This is interesting. Thanks.

For the previous posters, I want to assure them that I have sought treatment for my perversity and the therapy is going well. My shoes don't look as nice, but my wallet is feeling much better.

I'd also state that the people that would use the stuff the most ...shoe cobblers....also use the regular size tins versus tubs...at least from what I've seen....

Your post mentions heavy use...but...as mentioned in a few of the earlier posts...Most shoe hobbyists take a bit more of a hands off approach as to using products on their shoes....to me it's more as a "need" basis...and our shoes look "just as nice" without daily use of renovateur or wax or cream..or whatever...but.... Perhaps it would be best however to ask what you are using your shoes for? How many pairs of shoes do you have in your rotation?

Last edited:

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps it would be best however to ask what you are using your shoes for? How many pairs of shoes do you have in your rotation?
I have about 15 pairs of shoes in general rotation so I typically wear a pair ever two to three weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads