• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are your banks so s****y?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Toronto is a great city and indeed more cosmopolitan than even NY or London.

You have got to have a very unconventional definition of cosmopolitan.

I have been to Toronto many, many times (my older brother has lived there for years), and I think this comment about being more cosmopolitan than NYC is just plain silly. London, maybe, but not NYC.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Largest wine retailer in the USA....Costco. ha ha ha
Oh yes, CostCo. No doubt, the joke is on anyone that shops there. I mean, I had to pay a whole $58 USD for six of these last year:
DSC00487.jpg
If only I were lucky enough to be forced to purchase them from a Vintages for over $94 CAD, I could count myself "cosmopolitan." http://www.vintages.com/frame_result...uinta+do+noval How much I miss the LCBO
laugh.gif
And good luck getting something like this:
DSC00425.jpg
Vintages offers: http://www.vintages.com/frame_result...ITEM_NAME=1977

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Nope...just the standard definition. I think the problem is generally that household knowledge of Toronto hasn't caught up with contemporary reality....people just "think" little ole TO couldn't possibly be.

Fact is, Toronto has been getting more "recent" immigrants than NYC, who's culture is fresher. Also, there is far more pressure to assimilate and segregate in NYC. Other important factors such as affordability make Toronto more appealing to a wider range of demographic.

OK, fine. Please tell me where I can buy a pair of John Lobbs in Toronto?
In Trawna, weeze just wrap our foots in newspapers.

If only I were lucky enough to be forced to purchase them from a Vintages for over $94 CAD, I could count myself "cosmopolitan."
Factor in the cost of the gas-guzzling car necessary to buy anything in suburbia, and it's starting to look like a bargain actually.

You sure are big on the anecdotal evidence aren't ya?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Factor in the cost of the gas-guzzling car necessary to buy anything in suburbia, and it's starting to look like a bargain actually. You sure are big on the anecdotal evidence aren't ya?
First, why factor in cost of gas? You have no idea what the average commute is for people to a CostCo. That is simply spurious. Might as well factor in cost of a subway token. Second, anecdotal evidence? Well to start with, at least I provided something concrete, objective, and verifiable. Much better than non-standard definitions of words, I would say. However, if you wish to take the time, I will provide you a list of wines and spirits, to which you can cross reference the price in both countries. Sound good? And speaking of evidence, no one here has actually seen any that you own even a box of Franzia. Since you seem to have a fixation with CostCo, let's cut and paste in a sample list from a recent thread at a well known wine forum: 2005 Bordeaux Château Canon-la-Gaffelière, Torrance, $97 Château Gloria, Long Beach, $37 Clos du Marquis, Van Nuys, $55 Château Montrose, Van Nuys, $105 Saintayme, Van Nuys, $17 Château Ferrière, Van Nuys, Culver City, Torrance, $34 Château Lafon-Rochet, Torrance, $42 Château Malescot St. Exupery, Tustin, $63 Château Clerc Milon, Garden Grove, $50 Château Lynch Bages, Long Beach, $87 Château Grand Puy Ducasse, Norwalk, $33 Château d'Issan, Van Nuys, $56 Château Duhart-Milon Rothschild, Garden Grove, $47 A baker's dozen examples, add in the two I have already provided, and we are getting a sample size that passes "anecdotal" and advances into one large enough to run some T tests on. So please, give us the cost of these from Vintages, freely available at www.vintages.com If the wine is not available, automatic point against the LCBO.
laugh.gif
Edit: just to get things rolling, the first example is not currently available. The '03 is, and it was an inferior vintage to the '05. Price? $124 CAD. http://www.vintages.com/frame_result...a-Gaffeli%E8re Please carry on.

B1FF

Reaction score
In Trawna, weeze just wrap our foots in newspapers.

Pretty much. Though a few of the finer Toronto men's stores do sell a brand of plastic wrap called Ecco.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
First, why factor in cost of gas? You have no idea what the average commute is for people to a CostCo. That is simply spurious. Might as well factor in cost of a subway token.
Somehow, I think the cost of owning and operating a vehicle in the suburbs is going to be costlier than a Metropass, regardless of the gas required for the "average" commute to the wine store. Things are also going to be far more spaced apart in the far less dense suburbs, adding to time and inconvenience...which also leads to not bothering doing anything but what's absolutely necessary. Which leads to my biggest gripe...the experience. Why would I want to find a spot in a giant parking lot, and be faced with walking through the doors of a pre-fab concrete big box store, just to face the crappy drive home to my 3-car garage. No wonder people drink. I'm much happier spending time in a Darling & Pearson Beaux Arts gem, sipping away in the Tasting Tower, modeled on the campanile of St Mark's. I can also go next door to Five Thieves to get some fine produce to go with my beverage purchase. This is what living in a vibrant city is...you can't flaneur in the burbs. If you think pontificating about fancy footwear or cultivating a wine-snob attitude (on an internet chat forum to boot) is going to make up for this, then pity is about all I can feel. (don't get all worked up, I'm not necessarily talking about you specifically...just the type). In the words of a fellow Torontonian... Sprawling on the fringes of the city In geometric order An insulated border In between the bright lights And the far unlit unknown Growing up it all seems so one-sided Opinions all provided The future pre-decided Detached and subdivided In the mass production zone Nowhere is the dreamer Or the misfit so alone
Second, anecdotal evidence?
Yea...look it up. Funny, people here seem to be awfully knowledgeable about their English footwear, yet the English language seems to allude them. If the world lived and died by your stupid personal wine list...or your particular brand of footwear, you might have evidence for "Neanderthal Toronto". But it doesn't.
Pretty much. Though a few of the finer Toronto men's stores do sell a brand of plastic wrap called Ecco.
Ah...bitter much? If you haven't figured it out yet...I get off on that. ha

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is just out of hand, you have been proven to be wrong on every point you make, then you make up stupid things like the cost of gas drives up the price of wine in suburbia? You really think people pay that much to drive to get their wine? Gas is even cheaper in the US than it is here, don't even get me started on the taxation rate. By the time you factor in taxes and exchange you're paying anywhere from 15-50% more for a bottle of wine in Canada.

Someone lock this thread, I'm sorry I started it. I really am. This guy just won't give up.

FYI - I have never seen a pair of Lobbs for Sale in TO.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Oh...sorry I can't manage to uphold the fine standards you set..."why are your banks so ******". Followed by the other sophisticated responses like..."the LCBO really sucks hard".

Lock the thread??? Why not lock the entire internet...and do the planet a big favour. (oh yea...and can we ban MP3 players while we're at it...pretty please).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Somehow, I think the cost of owning and operating a vehicle in the suburbs is going to be costlier than a Metropass, regardless of the gas required for the "average" commute to the wine store.

More Ugly GTA in action. Why do you assume everyone not in GTA lives in a 'burb? Hate to break this to you, but there's millions of city dwellers in cities not named "Toronto."
laugh.gif

If the world lived and died by your stupid personal wine list...or your particular brand of footwear, you might have evidence for "Neanderthal Toronto". But it doesn't.

I have not mentioned shoes in this thread, nor ever to you, and actually rarely at all. You are so insane, can not separate that there are several people here telling you, you are insane. And my personal wine list might be stupid to you, but I have yet to see any actual proof you're not swilling plonk out of a box.

As to tastings, yes, only Toronto has these.
rolleyes.gif

Ah...bitter much?

If you haven't figured it out yet...I get off on that. ha

No, we all figured out some time ago you get off on very odd things, like a whole thread dedicated not only to being an asshole, but a factually inaccurate one at that. And speaking of factually inaccurate, Peart lives in CALIFORNIA now.
crackup[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

In the words of a former Torontonian...

FTFY

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

I have been to Toronto many, many times (my older brother has lived there for years), and I think this comment about being more cosmopolitan than NYC is just plain silly. London, maybe, but not NYC.

Please see my other post where I defined cosmopolitan as ethnically-diverse, which Toronto is. Overall, I much prefer NYC. Toronto is obviously no match for London or NY as a city.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The silly thing is, I think all of us agree Toronto is a great city. It's just that freshbutt is being idiotic about things that are easily disprovable. This is what I am talking about with the Ugly GTA'er. He's so enraptured with it, he fails to realize that like any other city, it has its cons as well as its pros. That it does not have the pinnacle of every single thing.

But I remember what it was like to be a teenager. No perspective so pretty much everything you come in contact with is "The Best Thing Ever," as you lack frame of reference.

B1FF

Reaction score
Ah...bitter much?

If you haven't figured it out yet...I get off on that. ha

Why would I be bitter that people in your city have to drive to Montreal or Detroit to buy decent clothes?

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
More Ugly GTA in action. Why do you assume everyone not in GTA lives in a 'burb? Hate to break this to you, but there's millions of city dwellers in cities not named "Toronto."
Really...you have to stop inventing imaginary boogy men to make a point. And when you accomplish that, you seriously need to bone up on your reading comprehension. If I am responding specifically to "suburban" Detroit, then I think it's safe to assume suburban Detroit is, well...suburban. While we are on the subject of the GTA, half the people who live there are suburban as well, and I have no less disdain for it than any suburbia. Sorry...didn't mean to bust your "Ugly GTA" bubble.

I have not mentioned shoes in this thread, nor ever to you, and actually rarely at all. You are so insane, can not separate that there are several people here telling you, you are insane.
To a person with normal reading comprehension, it would be clear that I am encapsulating a response to the similar moronic claims made by several people, and made it easy for you by even mentioning it...
don't get all worked up, I'm not necessarily talking about you specifically...just the type

And my personal wine list might be stupid to you, but I have yet to see any actual proof you're not swilling plonk out of a box.
But then I would take away your opportunity to impress people on the internet with pseudo-connoisseur, cliche sayings like "swilling plonk form a box". I'm not so cruel as to deny you that...I know how important it is to you.

As to tastings, yes, only Toronto has these.
It's amazing how anyone could interpret that. Not only did I never imply that...it had nothing to do with the point I was making. Again...reading comprehension.

No, we all figured out some time ago you get off on very odd things, like a whole thread dedicated not only to being an asshole, but a factually inaccurate one at that.
I joined this thread well after it became an exercise in asshole behavior (I will forgive it's very creation, which was pointless, as I know it was a joke). And you have not proven a single thing I have said is inaccurate (in fact, I don't even think you understand what I am saying). Are you of the impression that your opinion is fact, and anyone who disagrees with you is an asshole? ...is this how you go through life?

And speaking of factually inaccurate, Peart lives in CALIFORNIA now.
More of your fallacious argument techniques...as if this affects the point being made.

This is what I am talking about with the Ugly GTA'er. He's so enraptured with it, he fails to realize that like any other city, it has its cons as well as its pros. That it does not have the pinnacle of every single thing.
Never has any such thing been said or implied...obviously you have issues you need to address, which accounts for this unhealthy attitude. Don't mean to scare you, but as the person who is making ugly, judgemental statements about people who live in specific cities, YOU are your own creation...YOU are the "Ugly GTA'er". I on the other hand, only give my general opinion of urban vs suburban, which includes GTA suburbs.

But I remember what it was like to be a teenager. No perspective so pretty much everything you come in contact with is "The Best Thing Ever," as you lack frame of reference.

Even after I specifically point out how god damed utterly stupid it sounds to
pull that "your just a teenager who's never been out of your parents basement" routine...you do it anyway. I can't believe I even respond to such juvenile behavior.

Careful, you could end up as bad as B1FF, who as you can tell, is no longer worth responding to.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Careful, you could end up as bad as B1FF, who as you can tell, is no longer worth responding to.

Actually, I was rather striving for your ignore list...on one hand. On the other, your posts make me smile. In the sad, sick way people do at people they feel sorry for, yet realize they brought on their own tragedy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads