• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why are 30+ inch LCD monitors more expensive than 30+ inch LCD TVs?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
just looking around, don't quite get it...big monitors are circa a grand, a TV is like half that.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Higher resolution = more $$

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm also guessing that TVs have much higher sales rates. Many homes have multiple TVs (not to mention offices, stores, etc.), while most homes have one computer. Lots of offices have multiple computers, of course, but I'd still guess TVs sell much faster.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Higher resolution = more $$
do monitors have higher resolutions than TVs? I honestly don't know anything, but I was just looking at prices and found myself super surprised...I just figured an LCD TV was an LCD panel with a tuner, ergo LCD panel sans tuner must be cheaper....

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most monitors in that range are running at 2560x1600, vs. 1920x1080 for a 1080P TV or ~1280x720 for a 720P TV. And Teacher is right, probably fewer of those panels produced vs. the volume produced for TVs. Monitors may have faster response times as well; generally not a spec you see mentioned for TVs (though I haven't shopped for a TV in a while; maybe that's changed).

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I was surprised by this same thing. Wound up buying a 37" inch LCD Television for mydesktop. No problems with it.

alexanderr

Reaction score
You won't get the same definition as a monitor but unless you play really high end video games it shouldn't be a big deal.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teh pixels.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
do monitors have higher resolutions than TVs?

I honestly don't know anything, but I was just looking at prices and found myself super surprised...I just figured an LCD TV was an LCD panel with a tuner, ergo LCD panel sans tuner must be cheaper....

Yes, by quite a bit.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just got a 1080p 47" and a mac mini, it's pretty sick, but at the same time, there is a very noticeable difference in resolution when compared to a real computer monitor... I plan on mainly using this thing for watching movies and TV though, so it's really good for that. I don't have a coffee table though, so the wireless keyboard and mouse are kind of awkward to use, and it's a little inconvenient to browse on.
redface.gif
I may need to get that bluetooth trackpad they sell now.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I just got a 1080p 47" and a mac mini, it's pretty sick, but at the same time, there is a very noticeable difference in resolution when compared to a real computer monitor... I plan on mainly using this thing for watching movies and TV though, so it's really good for that. I don't have a coffee table though, so the wireless keyboard and mouse are kind of awkward to use, and it's a little inconvenient to browse on.
redface.gif
I may need to get that bluetooth trackpad they sell now.

I have a setup like this that I use exclusively for streaming + watching video. Even with a coffee table it's a pain to do much more than watch/download movies, but it works + is cheaper than cable. I just need to get an HDMI graphics card and I will be set. Me + my gf use laptops for browsing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads