• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

why are 30+ inch LCD monitors more expensive than 30+ inch LCD TVs?

Reaction score
just looking around, don't quite get it...big monitors are circa a grand, a TV is like half that.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Higher resolution = more $$

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm also guessing that TVs have much higher sales rates. Many homes have multiple TVs (not to mention offices, stores, etc.), while most homes have one computer. Lots of offices have multiple computers, of course, but I'd still guess TVs sell much faster.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Higher resolution = more $$
do monitors have higher resolutions than TVs? I honestly don't know anything, but I was just looking at prices and found myself super surprised...I just figured an LCD TV was an LCD panel with a tuner, ergo LCD panel sans tuner must be cheaper....

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most monitors in that range are running at 2560x1600, vs. 1920x1080 for a 1080P TV or ~1280x720 for a 720P TV. And Teacher is right, probably fewer of those panels produced vs. the volume produced for TVs. Monitors may have faster response times as well; generally not a spec you see mentioned for TVs (though I haven't shopped for a TV in a while; maybe that's changed).

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I was surprised by this same thing. Wound up buying a 37" inch LCD Television for mydesktop. No problems with it.

alexanderr

Reaction score
You won't get the same definition as a monitor but unless you play really high end video games it shouldn't be a big deal.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teh pixels.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
do monitors have higher resolutions than TVs?

I honestly don't know anything, but I was just looking at prices and found myself super surprised...I just figured an LCD TV was an LCD panel with a tuner, ergo LCD panel sans tuner must be cheaper....

Yes, by quite a bit.

impolyt_one

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got a 1080p 47" and a mac mini, it's pretty sick, but at the same time, there is a very noticeable difference in resolution when compared to a real computer monitor... I plan on mainly using this thing for watching movies and TV though, so it's really good for that. I don't have a coffee table though, so the wireless keyboard and mouse are kind of awkward to use, and it's a little inconvenient to browse on.
I may need to get that bluetooth trackpad they sell now.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I just got a 1080p 47" and a mac mini, it's pretty sick, but at the same time, there is a very noticeable difference in resolution when compared to a real computer monitor... I plan on mainly using this thing for watching movies and TV though, so it's really good for that. I don't have a coffee table though, so the wireless keyboard and mouse are kind of awkward to use, and it's a little inconvenient to browse on.
I may need to get that bluetooth trackpad they sell now.

I have a setup like this that I use exclusively for streaming + watching video. Even with a coffee table it's a pain to do much more than watch/download movies, but it works + is cheaper than cable. I just need to get an HDMI graphics card and I will be set. Me + my gf use laptops for browsing.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
do monitors have higher resolutions than TVs?
Yes, computer monitors have technically been HD for many years.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.