• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

aarghh

Reaction score
Just saw this with Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin - smashing performances both.

Highly recommended to any members in San Francisco.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed. Bill Irwin is absolutly fantastcin everything he does. Yeas agowe saw himin "Full Moon" which is a mime show and he was amazing. Apparently he is one of the world's finest clowns.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, that's exciting. I read that Kathleen Turner has experienced some health troubles, of late. I'm happy to know that she's performing with success.

Bette Davis wanted desperately to play Martha, in the movie.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Apparently he is one of the world's finest clowns.

People actually rank clowns?
lol8[1].gif

And I can't picture you at a mime show... It sounds really boring.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
People actually rank clowns?
lol8[1].gif

And I can't picture you at a mime show... It sounds really boring.

I **** you not, it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. He hecked the audience so badly that people were hiding from him.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i love the film.
I do as well. I've read that the play was based on an aging, homosexual couple. For the screen version, Edward Albee requested Bette Davis and Henry Fonda, to play the leads. Those two performers were not judged commercially viable; Liz and Dick got the parts. Elizabeth Taylor was only 32, playing a 50 year old woman. A daunting challenge. She did a fine job, although watching the movie now, as a 51 year old man . . . Liz does look and animate wayyyyyyy too young, for 'Martha's' role. Seems to me that Richard Burton did a little better, vis a vis the age factor.

untitled.jpg

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I do as well. I've read that the play was based on an aging, homosexual couple. For the screen version, Edward Albee requested Bette Davis and Henry Fonda, to play the leads. Those two performers were not judged commercially viable; Liz and Dick got the parts. Elizabeth Taylor was only 32, playing a 50 year old woman. A daunting challenge. She did a fine job, although watching the movie now, as a 51 year old man . . . Liz does look and animate wayyyyyyy too young, for 'Martha's' role. Seems to me that Richard Burton did a little better, vis a vis the age factor.

untitled.jpg

it's been a long time since i saw it, and i thought both performances were perfect. remind me to see it again when i'm 50. they were married at the time they filmed this, no?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
modern Kenneth Tynan
Label King, Vivien Leigh was intensely jealous of Kenneth Tynan. She thought him to be in love with her husband, Laurence Olivier. In Olivier's autobiography, the actor states that he told Kenneth Tynan to his face, that Olivier believed Mr. Tynan to be responsible for one of Vivien's nervous breakdowns.
Yes, matadorpoeta, the Burtons were married at the time. The movie had a closed set; nobody could see Ms. Taylor in costume except for production staff. btw: since the making of this film, Elizabeth Taylor has undergone a number of cosmetic operations, among them rhinoplasty. Her nose is now half the size of the one in profile, pictured here. The new nose makes Liz look a little like a bulldog. JMHO.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I recall, wasn't Laurence Olivier bisexual? Anyways, Tynan's sexual preferences were rather dodgy at times, but then he maintained a strict adherence towards S&M.

On Vivien Leigh's performance, Tynan noted:

"Taking a deep breath and resolutely focusing her periwinkle charm, she launches another of her careful readings; ably and passionlessly she picks her way among its great challenges, presenting a glibly mown lawn where her author had imagined a jungle".

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LK, In the Anne Edwards book: VIVIEN LEIGH, the author presents a nebulous depiction of Olivier's sexual proclivities. But to this reader, implications of a long standing relationship to DANNY KAYE, emerged. Now. Picture Vivien Leigh. One of the world's greatest beauties. A neurotic, manic depressive. 'Madly' in love, with Laurence Olivier. And he's having a physical relationship with . . . Danny Kaye.
Ms. Leigh claimed however, that she preferred for Olivier to engage in homosexual affairs, than to stray from her affections, via another woman.
The Tynan review, is exactly what drove Viv into fits of fury. He called her Lady Macbeth, 'more nimminy pimminy than thundery blundery.'
Vivien.jpg

and, to aarghh: apologies for going off thread.

aarghh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I do as well. I've read that the play was based on an aging, homosexual couple.

I believe Albee denied that - he refused to have same sex couples cast in the role, and said something to the effect that if he'd wanted to write a play about an aging homosexual couple, he would have written it.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. As it happens, I've been acquainted with a few heterosexual couples who might have served as models for Albee's play.
2143986075.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads