• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I haven't worn suspenders with a jacket in more than a dozen years, perhaps longer.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the "only with suits" mentality, but comfort has won in the long run. I wear suspenders with odd coats, but only if the trousers are wool and have pleats. Whether this is in good taste or not, I don't know...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If wearing suspenders makes you more comfortable, then wear suspenders. As you note, they shouldn't be seen anyway.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was thinking about a brown tweed with a strong pattern. This look has too much solid. It isn't terrible or anything - but it also isn't making use of the black tie in a way that has much impact.
Since you can see the actual colors, what do you think?

i dont have any jackets like that unfortunately.

i think it looks really nice, in person, the contrasts are very pleasing imo. thank you for the idea. :)

That's a black tie? Looks like chocolate brown in the picture.
If it is black, what color shoes do you wear with something like this?

tie is black. wearing dark brown shoes. GGs in vintage oak.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If wearing suspenders makes you more comfortable, then wear suspenders. As you note, they shouldn't be seen anyway.

I think that is the right attitude for many things. The flip side is this: if belts are appropriate for odd jackets, then a missing belt is odd for what is appropriate is missing.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't worn suspenders with a jacket in more than a dozen years, perhaps longer.

I take it that you prefer belts then for odd jackets. This is a comfort, aesthetic issue perhaps, and not an issue of good taste? I don't remember if you comment on this in your book.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For the first month after I joined, I thought whnay was an abbreviation similar to waywrn. The apostrophe ess always confused me.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I find it ironic that the WAYWRN thread says HOF before it. I was so confused as to what HOF was until somebody clued me in that it meant "Hall of fame" :facepalm:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I thought it meant "House Of Freaks"....

I keed, I keed.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads