• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

VictorSFreturn

Reaction score
I can't live with the pairing of light blue square with a light blue shirt.

He's not light blue.

It's light blue with a dark blue pattern. Please look carefully before you write the answer
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Elegantly Wasted

Reaction score

He's not light blue.

It's light blue with a dark blue pattern. Please look carefully before you write the answer :D

mmm... the first impression is what really counts, you know.

Is it true that there's no russian word for tacky? If so I gladly lend you a German word to describe that cardigan, kitschig.

I was thinking more along these lines

VictorSFreturn

Reaction score

CaymanS

Reaction score
Banis and Viktor have demonstrated in ample measure that taste has arrived in Russia.

Unfortunately, taste doesn't seem to have reached Russian-Americans in Miami, NY, Chicago, and LA, who still swear pointy-toed Prada loafers, black True Religion jeans, and black muscle shirts to everything from work to school to church to baptisms to funerals (speaking solely from personal experience, please don't ban me for being racially insensitive, most of my best friends are Russian etc etc etc :):D:happy::nodding: ).

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the funny thing about Yakov jokes is that they are not funny, so you are saying them ironically, unless you think he was funny..............

One of the few Yakov jokes that made me giggle originated during the recent Russia meteorite blast: In soviet russia, space explores you...

to get back on topic... somewhat: a friend of mine recently showed me old b/w pictures of his grandfather from Sicily whom he never met before his death (we both grew up in Germany). Having just gotten a new high dpi scanner I accepted the challenge.

Did I restore in good taste?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The spacing of the stripes make that hard to wear. Since they are horizontal across the front blade, you are always going to wind up with a really blatant vertical stripe going down your knot. The more usable striped knits I've seen are much finer stripes.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Caustic, that tie would look more at home with an OCBD and some crumpled, tatty khakis. Maybe some bucks or (dare I say it) boat shoes. The bals are too dressy for such a bright, casual tie, and dark brown brogues seem aseasonal with the summery flavor of the combo. Between the shoes, the shirt collar and the creases in the khakis, it's like you've tried to up the formality of the standard prep blazer outfit, but the appeal of that "uniform" lies in its casualness.

Also, if the square is solid cream, it looks like you've tried to match the square to your khakis.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doc,

Thanks for the critique. Now that you mention it the cream square does look rather close to the trousers, doesn't it? I was a little worried about snuff suede shoes with this combo. I felt that it would be ok for the early hot weather we have been having around here, but perhaps it is a fall shoe?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caustic, that tie would look more at home with an OCBD and some crumpled, tatty khakis. Maybe some bucks or (dare I say it) boat shoes. The bals are too dressy for such a bright, casual tie, and dark brown brogues seem aseasonal with the summery flavor of the combo. Between the shoes, the shirt collar and the creases in the khakis, it's like you've tried to up the formality of the standard prep blazer outfit, but the appeal of that "uniform" lies in its casualness.

Also, if the square is solid cream, it looks like you've tried to match the square to your khakis.
Maybe it isn't coming through in the pic, but I believe he is wearing Allen Edmonds Amok. They are balmorals, but have a few casual elements: they are unlined, have a split welt, and have contrast-color laces. I'm not sure if this changes your mind about them, but thought I would point that out.

Part of the reason I am bringing this up is that I am considering getting a pair, and am planning on wearing them with similar outfits. If the balmoral lacing makes the shoe too formal despite its less-casual attributes, then I will likely pass.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes look like they are on the lighter side of brown in the full fit pic, and look rather casual even for balmorals... which picture is closer to reality, full view or detail?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads