• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me explain my position :)

I love the style.
I do not like fashion

But the style is very different.

I like the English style, but I also like the modern Italian style (the version of it that without the strong influence of fashion).

I allow myself to dress differently, play and experiment.
I could dress in a simple, classic style every day and look for 1000000 $. But it's boring!

After all, a good recipe for business style is very simple and banal:

Take sewn to order a blue or gray suit, worsted cloth or flannel, no big relief.
Take a white or blue shirt is sewn to order (or purchased)
Take a dark tie (solid color, textured, with a small figure)
Take the dark shoes and a classic toe
Take a handkerchief in breast tone shirt with piping or small patterns in color suit or tie or shoes

All. Classic rigorously prepared.

If you take a good fabric and sewed all custom made or bought for quite a lot of money - that turned out very well.

But this incredibly boring and do not have to think! You only need to pay the money and not be color-blind.

Sometimes I dress like this, but not often, because, once again I'm interested in also other areas of style.

For me, style - it's not only the classics, as well as something at the intersection of classic and fashion. Where you can experiment, mix, think.

Provided that all done on the basis of the classics (strict style, English country style, American style of 20-30 years and 50-60 years, etc.)

In general I think is interesting to experiment, so that would be beautiful.

I'm not a slave to a strict business style. But I love it. Sometimes.
I just let myself love the great variety of styles. (Within good taste and based on the classics)

And that, I wish you all! :D

Well said, Victor.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Victor, we do enjoy your posts, I believe. Given the subjectivity of preference and styles, there will always be disagreements about what looks good, but you shouldn't take it to heart (not that you are, just sayin).

Your posts definitely jazz up the thread (and I like more than a couple of outfits with a couple items I'd swop out), so do keep them coming -- credits go to your entourage of professional photographers too!

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, I think Victor has toned his stuff down recently, whether deliberate or not. He had some pretty flashy fits not too long ago, but the recent stuff he's posted in here has been quite good.

Now, my only question is, how many photographers does he have following him around to get these shots? I think he's the Eastern European version of Vox, he must have someone on staff :bigstar:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is Barbour following in this? I'm starting to hear this. God Forbid.

News to me. They've certainly gotten a bit more popular with the recent Bond movie, but I certainly don't see them in the same light as Burberry, at least here in the US.

Would love to hear some other opinions on this. Really hope they don't go the way of Burberry.

Though I have to say, I have a classic old Burberry raincoat that I love.

Balfour

Reaction score
^ For what it's worth, not in my view.

In the UK, it's always been naff to wear a Barbour in certain contexts: over a suit, in the City, it looks arriviste & jarring (much more subtle ways to give a hint of the country: covert coat, brown gloves / briefcase (but never shoes), 'Friday' suit, &c.). If you wear a suitably worn Barbour(*) walking the dog in the country on the weekend, no-one will mistake you for David Beckham.

I speak as someone who is not a great Barbour fan. There is usually a better option.

(*) Meaning one of the more traditional designs, in green or brown.

Last edited:

Big Texas

Reaction score
Barbour has been making a subtle, but significant marketing and PR push in the US in recent years. Movie placements, GQ/Esq./Details features, J Crew collabo, etc. Doesn't feel like they're going the Burberry route, but who's to say what temptations they'll fall prey to if they do start taking off in a huge way?

Personally, I've always seen Barbour as dependable, non-flashy, and kind of fuddy duddy. My dad, whom no one would accuse of being conscious of either fashion or style, kept a Barbour jacket as his go-to raincoat for many decades. It's odd to me to see Barbour's recent reemergence as a "young" brand, but then again, kids these days have been on an old-is-new kick for at least 5 years and running.

(I write this as an American, obviously. I have no direct experience with how Barbour is, and has been, perceived in the UK over the years).

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ For what it's worth, not in my view. 

In the UK, it's always been naff to wear a Barbour in certain contexts:  over a suit, in the City, it looks arriviste & jarring (much more subtle ways to give a hint of the country:  covert coat, brown gloves / briefcase (but never shoes), 'Friday' suit, &c.).  If you wear a suitably worn Barbour(*) walking the dog in the country on the weekend, no-one will mistake you for David Beckham.

I speak as someone who is not a great Barbour fan.  There is usually a better option.

(*) Meaning one of the more traditional designs, in green or brown.

Yeah, I definitely understand that Barbour and other similar clothes can have a very distinct connotation in the UK. There's much less of that in the US. It can still be an old-money WASPy look, but it generally doesn't have the same negative class-based connotations.

Curious to know what you'd think would be better options. This has always interested me.

Barbour has been making a subtle, but significant marketing and PR push in the US in recent years. Movie placements, GQ/Esq./Details features, J Crew collabo, etc. Doesn't feel like they're going the Burberry route, but who's to say what temptations they'll fall prey to if they do start taking off in a huge way?

Personally, I've always seen Barbour as dependable, non-flashy, and kind of fuddy duddy. My dad, whom no one would accuse of being conscious of either fashion or style, kept a Barbour jacket as his go-to raincoat for many decades. It's odd to me to see Barbour's recent reemergence as a "young" brand, but then again, kids these days have been on an old-is-new kick for at least 5 years and running.

(I write this as an American, obviously. I have no direct experience with how Barbour is, and has been, perceived in the UK over the years).

I have been seeing more and more Barbour, which is fine, but I do hope it doesn't go Burberry.

I've had the same view of Barbour--my father had a Barbour that he used as a hunting jacket for a long time. It's admittedly somewhat WASPy, but I've always liked the classic Beaufort jacket, and I have a Liddesdale that I wear fairly frequently.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw a ******** with huge ant looking sunglasses, a lot of rings on her fingers, wearing a Barbour jacket. It has official jumped the shark. Sorry WASPS.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I saw a ******** with huge ant looking sunglasses, a lot of rings on her fingers, wearing a Barbour jacket. It has official jumped the shark. Sorry WASPS.

Sadly I agree. You can't walk around NYC for 2 mins and not see a dozen.

Mine is still going strong after 10+ years of wear. A few rips and in need of a re-wax but I still love it.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sadly I agree. You can't walk around NYC for 2 mins and not see a dozen.

Mine is still going strong after 10+ years of wear. A few rips and in need of a re-wax but I still love it.

Gotta have the wear, that's the best part. Honestly, it's what's kept me from buying a Beaufort--that it would look terrible and new for about 3 years until I got enough wear on it.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not get it. what the hell difference does it make if a brand becomes popular and fat girls with rings wear their wares. if the items are still made to the same quality standards, and if design wise they still look as good and as appropriate as they did before they became popular (heaven forbid that the plebes catch on to these secret garments!), what is the big freaking deal. sheesh.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those idiots are wearing the wrong Barbour coats. There are the mainstream models that everyone has and then there are the rare ones that I have. Same with the Burberry scarf. Idiots wear the novacheck one. Those in the know wear the one I have.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
do not get it. what the hell difference does it make if a brand becomes popular and fat girls with rings wear their wares. if the items are still made to the same quality standards, and if design wise they still look as good and as appropriate as they did before they became popular (heaven forbid that the plebes catch on to these secret garments!), what is the big freaking deal. sheesh.

We dress for ourselves, but we also dress for other people, some more than others. And of course, our own tastes, what we want to see in the mirror when we dress for ourselves, is at least in part dictated externally.

I suppose when something "catches" on, people fear that others will see it and think they are riding on the bandwagon rather than exhibiting their preference in style and quality. I'm not sure if I would ever stop wearing something that I like...but I imagine some of the joy in wearing it would be sucked out.

This is why I dress so unfashionably; nothing I wear will ever have that problem ^_^

Last edited:

CaymanS

Reaction score
Victor's mini-essay has inspired me to experiment. Tomorrow, I will attempt to wear distressed overalls to work, with nothing underneath. I will report back as to the results on this forvm. Wish me luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads