• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why has no one commented on my excellent and supremely tasteful fit today?
Looking good. On the other hand, you might be near the apex of the Y axis on the SF Noob Lifecycle. Don't aquire one iota more of sartorial knowledge; quit while you're ahead. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

tears???? were they delishuz :drool: when does T4 arrive for the harvesting :bounce2:

they were
and
i sincerely
hoap he
will be along
presently
=')

Looking good. On the other hand, you might be near the apex of the Y axis on the SF Noob Lifecycle. Don't aquire one iota more of sartorial knowledge; quit while you're ahead. :)

thanks, and lol, i will be mindful of that.

goodlensboy

Reaction score

Well, here's the thing: I don't think unmatching socks are unboring. They are just good aesthetic sense. No one will ever be shocked by solid maroon, brown, or navy blue socks under your grey flannel trousers. And they don't "compete" with complex shoe finishes any more than socks that match your trousers.
On the other hand, socks matched to trousers grab attention for all the worst reasons. They're fastidious, neurotic, unimaginative, and geeky. The man who matches his socks to his trousers is either too boring to waste time with or repressing too much violent rage at an overbearing mother to be safe around. In either case, he probably thinks Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are funny. He definitely keeps a calculator with him to figure out tips. He's that guy who holds up the line at the supermarket because he pays with personal checks. He's an asshole and a bore.
Don't be that guy.

This.

In all seriousness most people shouting here do not deserve the guidance and thoughts from this real gentleman

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Except when there isn't.
Each to his own. But my success is the result of approaching every situation knowing there is a good solution waiting to happen. To date, there always has been.

tactical1

Reaction score
y9uda9ez.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

When did Foo's mom join StyFo?

When did we start calling it "StyFo?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's admittedly hard to judge combinations like this because they are so cliche. Very JoS. A. Bank.

But to be as objective as possible, here's whats wrong: (1) the contrast gap is too large, with all dark, saturated colors and nothing in between to bridge them, (2) discounting grey and white, you're only wearing one color (red), which not only makes for a boring outfit, but makes your tie loud and distracting, (3) unless wearing black tie, white shirt plus white square is an auto-fail, even if many will argue it is 'correct', and (4) the tie is an intrinsically ugly iteration of paisley due to its lack of tonal variance. The overall effect is a real-life simulation of a cartoon businessman drawn by an artist limited to three different crayons. Not good.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think unmatching socks are unboring.
Oh I agree ... just changing the color isn't sufficient to bring a look alive. It takes experience and a good sense of color.

The man who matches his socks to his trousers is ... too boring to waste time with
Here I would disagree. I was recently at a dinner party with political economist Robert Reich. His socks matched his trousers ... and he was anything but boring. On the other hand he's not one of the best dressers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads