• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

godofcoffee

Reaction score
That's one of the least conservative business dress outfits I've ever seen.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
stitch, re: last combo, the colors are good, the tie is nice, I am not crazy about the shirt. I like that pattern to have a much smaller scale and no jacquard texture. But it's not offensive by any means.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

stitch, re: last combo, the colors are good, the tie is nice, I am not crazy about the shirt. I like that pattern to have a much smaller scale and no jacquard texture. But it's not offensive by any means.

thanks, manton. very glad to have put together a combo that passes your standars. curiously, have you been seeing my other posts lately (not the horrible monochrome blue with stripes)? and if so, what did you think of them?

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in stiches,

There have certainly been some improvement recently at your end which is to be commended. It seems like most of the universally positive comments come from your outfits that are more relaxed and "earthy" in color tones. I personally find these kinds of combinations work best for me as well. I get the impression that when you wear white shirts and brighter colors things seem a bit forced. It just seems like you're somewhat uncomfortable - like you think this is what you *should* be wearing. But you really should be wearing what suits your demeanor and attitude. That's where the more subdued outfits with browns and blues and greens seem to work best for you.

I could be totally off base, but those are my observations. Just don't try too hard and things will fall into place.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

in stiches,
There have certainly been some improvement recently at your end which is to be commended. It seems like most of the universally positive comments come from your outfits that are more relaxed and "earthy" in color tones. I personally find these kinds of combinations work best for me as well. I get the impression that when you wear white shirts and brighter colors things seem a bit forced. It just seems like you're somewhat uncomfortable - like you think this is what you *should* be wearing. But you really should be wearing what suits your demeanor and attitude. That's where the more subdued outfits with browns and blues and greens seem to work best for you.
I could be totally off base, but those are my observations. Just don't try too hard and things will fall into place.

slew, thanks for noticing, and noting, my improvement, and for taking the time to write that. warning though, you may have just been the cause of another, ill written, tl;dr, stitch post.

well, you bring up an interesting point, and its something i have thought about a lot. not just regarding my clothing, but its a theme that extends to other areas as well. but we will just stick with this topic for now.

there is no question i have a natural tendency towards earthy tones. first off, i think it compliments my skin tone, hair color and build, better than city looks. secondly, i was born in denver, and am a mountain man at heart for life. brunello cucinelli (and a lot of borrelli i have seen) would be my clothier of choice, if i could ever find their stuff at any discount. they have a wonderful earthy tone and vibe.

the issue becomes, that i have a distinct appreciation for other looks as well. so naturally, i try to work them into my wardrobe too. sometimes it works, sometimes not so much, but it rarely works as well as when i go country. and i think i must have a better knack for it, and as i said, it just suits me better.

while i know therefor, that i should find my vibe, and stick with it, i cant but try every now and again, to try something outside of my element. it may be something i never truly nail, but i do like the experience of wearing other styles, and will likely continue to do from time to time.

lastly, within certain religious orthodox jewish communities, there is great limit as to what you can wear, and not get an awkward glance. black pants/jacket and white shirt is the standard (aka - the penguin outfit). and moving outside of that starts to get dicey. i have always been a non-conformist, but even i have my limits. ill go blue shirt, but not much past that, and i will rarely wear very light colored pants, blues, grays and browns are about all ill do.

that just adds another layer of limitation, and for the most part i prefer the white shirt, as i am more comfortable in the community that way. if im wearing a blue (or any other color) shirt here, i usually have changed for work, but will go white if i end up going to shul or something. i dont like it, but its a sacrifice i make for other areas of my life, to be more comfortable.

anyhow, ive wandered far enough. the point is, you are right, country is more my joint. thanks for indulging me. :)

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitchy, you sound like a man who would appreciate a dark chocolate suit.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitchy, you sound like a man who would appreciate a dark chocolate suit.

indeed, i surely would. i think though, my next suit purchase will be solid navy most likely. then would be a brown, then an FU plaid or windowpane.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, gonna be a while, ill deal with fabric when the time comes. i would think a flannel, mebbe with a slight herringbone.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a length of unfunded brown fresco that I have been meaning to make up as double-breasted next year. Also, a Prince of Wales brown flannel, either as a double-breasted or three-piece, is further down on the list.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
A GDL-inspired "in transit" shot this morning.

azenenem.jpg

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice - is this a suit jacket? It looks quite thick

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads