Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

White Tuxedo Jacket Matching Bride's Dress

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrbateman, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mrbateman

mrbateman Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am getting married this summer and my fiance and I will be changing between the ceremony and the reception. During the ceremony she will be wearing a white dress and I will wear a white tuxedo jacket with black tuxedo pants, etc. During the reception she will be wearing a black dress and I will replace the white tuxedo jacket with a black one.

My question is, should the color of the tuxedo jacket during the ceremony match her dress exactly so as not to clash? Her dress is stark white and I thought most "white" tuxedo jackets were actually cream but am getting mine made so could get it stark white.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Don't match her. And have you thought about going from white tie to black tie instead?

3. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I would say it should not match. I'd think the closer to matching you get, the more you'd look like you tried and failed. You're right that white tuxedo jackets should be slightly off white. I think the contrast between that color and a stark white shirt is fantastic. . .a contrast that will probably be equally fantastic against her white dress!

-James

4. mrbateman

Thanks for the input. I see cream (off-white) is the way to go. Regarding the tie: I planned to do black pants, black patent leather shoes, white covered placket shirt, black bow tie, and a black with white polka dot pocket square. Then, I would just change the jacket (with a new, all white pocket square) for the ceremony.

I thought if I did white tie, I should do tails and gloves as well which seems a little too formal. Or are you suggesting a white tie with the regular length white jacket?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

:uhoh:

7. mrbateman

Yes, when you said white tie I thought it implied the black tailcoat which I think is too formal. A white tie with a DJ would look weird, right? White tie should be reserved for the most formal occasions with the tailcoats?

8. mrbateman

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Yessir. Idk what kind of wedding you're having. A tailcoat is indeed a fine-looking garment. However at this point for the vast majority of people it has become costume and you don't want to look like you're playing dress-up on your wedding day, even if you actually are in the sense that it's the only time in your life you wear a tuxedo either. If the other guests will be wearing black tie, it might be ok to wear white tie. If the other guests will likely be in lounge suits, I wouldn't go above black tie. Just my 0.02.

10. mrbateman

Thanks for the feedback. Wedding is black tie optional and, though I wear tuxedos somewhat frequently, alot of our guests don't so I anticipate a large amount of lounge suits and want to do my best to make everyone feel comfortable.

11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

When my cousin got married he wore a black, single button, peak lapel tuxedo with patent oxfords, black bow tie and no cummerbund. For the reception he wore a white shawl tuxedo jacket with black bow tie, tux pants, black cummerbund and black velvet slippers. I thought it was a nice change as the white jacket and house slippers looked more like he was entertaining during his reception, whereas the black tux respected the formality of the event.

However, he was in no way trying to match his bride, which I would not recommend. I think she changed 3-4 times before the event was over, so there was no keeping up anyway.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011