• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shoes for my situation?

Anders

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I have been reading and searching the Men's Clothing forum for a few weeks to a month. I'm sure I'd know the answer to this question if I read for another few months but I'm trying to make a decision for the Nordstrom's Anniversary sale tomorrow.

I am 23 years old and work at a public utility company as a computer engineer in downtown San Francisco. My work place is "business casual" erroring on the side of casual, with an equal combination of jeans/sneakers, khakis, and slacks (much like this guy). I plan on wearing these shoes with wool slacks and khakis (not jeans, although I do wear them also) and always a button-up shirt with no tie and top button undone. I definitely do not want my shoes to be too dressy, but I also want to get some good quality shoes (Allen Edmonds/Aldens).

I went into Nordstrom's yesterday and finally tried on the AE Delray. I like the shoe but I'm wondering if it is too dressy for my situation. I know its not considered dressy compared to the balmoral captoes, but how about for my Slacks/Button-up and very casual work environment?

I am also wondering about the color. I'd rather get a dark brown as my first brown shoe but Nordstrom's only has the Delray in Chili. I like the color but am wondering if I should get a dark brown instead. The only thing is that the Delray will be on sale for ~$195 starting tomorrow for the Nordstrom's Anniversary sale and they only have Chili. Another thing to note is Nordstrom's has the Delray online in dark brown, but I'm not sure if those will go on sale with the B&M store. Does anyone with experience know if they will go on sale online also?

Any advise would be great on whether to get the Delray in Chili or any other recommendations. I will also be looking to update my wardrobe but this situation came up first.

Thanks.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Delray in Chili would be great. In my experience, the darker the shoes the more conservative the look, whereas lighter shoes look more casual. The Chili being a medium brown should give off the business casual to more casual vibe. I think the darker brown would look more dressy. Also since the Delray is an apron-toed shoe it comes off as more a casual style. If it were a captoe or medallioned toe it'd be a different story.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Delray.jpg

Delray in Chili should be perfect for you, though some might say it can be had for less.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$195 for delrays in chili, new, is a good price. Chili is usually a little harder to find. At nordstrom you can be sure to get your right size and also get the box and bags (a plus for me, not sure about you).

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this case, you may as well go with your planned purchase, and when you have a couple of staples, you will have the luxury and sitting back and sniping in eBay auctions.

Anders

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Any recommendations on another style for a black shoe or another brown for my "situation"? I've worn the same ugly black shoe to work every day for the last year and since I'll have one nice AE, I'd like to mix it with another nice shoe so I don't have a huge contrast in shoe quality/style.

There is a cheap black Bergland in my size which I realize is a cap toe but with a rubber sole. There is also a cheap Byron in my size but thats a balmoral cap toe. I'm almost thinking about getting the Byron as a formal shoe because I really like how it looks, even though I don't wear Suits/formal wear very often. Another other recommendations are very appreciated.

Thanks.

drake

Reaction score
I’m about the same age as you (little younger) and also an Engineer but I work in San Jose.

I don’t think you should worry too much about rocking anything too “fancy” because most guys don’t care. I rock Edward Greens all the time and no one bats an eye.

tbone226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anders
Thanks for the responses. Any recommendations on another style for a black shoe or another brown for my "situation"? I've worn the same ugly black shoe to work every day for the last year and since I'll have one nice AE, I'd like to mix it with another nice shoe so I don't have a huge contrast in shoe quality/style. There is a cheap black Bergland in my size which I realize is a cap toe but with a rubber sole. There is also a cheap Byron in my size but thats a balmoral cap toe. I'm almost thinking about getting the Byron as a formal shoe because I really like how it looks, even though I don't wear Suits/formal wear very often. Another other recommendations are very appreciated. Thanks.
So you want a pair of black shoes as well? How about a pair of black captoes if you don't already have them?

mikeber

Reaction score
High Tech world wears jeans, shorts and polos, including some CEOs who are proud to wear chinos
smile.gif
It changes though when these executives visit Wall Street looking for investments. Anyway, I bet no one there heard of E. Green and Lobb.
Anders: I guess that anything beyond sneakers will be considered overdressed in that environment, though you might get away with LL Bean moccasins.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Only since you're looking at a similar shoe, if you happen to be a 10D I still have these AE Brentwoods with only a tiny bit of wear: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=34258 Sorry for the
spam[1].gif
but I keep forgetting I have these and it would be nice to get them to someone who can use them.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
$195 for delrays in chili, new, is a good price. Chili is usually a little harder to find. At nordstrom you can be sure to get your right size and also get the box and bags (a plus for me, not sure about you).

correct. you can find the delrays (IF they have it in your size/color) at nordstrom Rack for probably cheaper like $139,
but you do NOT get:
bags
boxes,
also the condition is very shopworn and bad sometimes and scuffed from inventory/handling/customers/circulation

Anders

Reaction score
I really appreciate the feedback. Much more than I expected and much quicker.

My situation is a little unique regarding the high tech/engineering environment. I work for the major utility company for all of northern California (I'm sure residents can guess it). Being such, we own an entire block in the Financial District of San Francisco. I am in a 32 story high rise which holds "code monkeys", accountants, marketing, etc., as well as the CEO and VPs. Thus the clothing ranges from polo/jeans/sneakers to suits. The people I directly work with do not wear suits, including my boss nor my bosses boss, but some do wear polo/jeans. However, I'm just starting out my career and naturally I'd like to move up and probably into business so I want to look a bit sharper. However, I definitely don't want to be over dressed either. That is why I am trying to find a quality "dress" shoe that isn't too formal or "fancy".

My current plan is to go to Nordstrom's today after work and put them on hold by paying the sale price early. I'm not sure if they will let me take them home or make me wait till tomorrow. By the way, the ones I tried on yesterday had never been taken out of the box because it was unlaced and not a single crease. I'm really not in a rush to get shoes but since they are on sale and available I figure I'll get them and can always return them. Dress shoes are also my current "obsession of the month" so I'm not sure if I want to wait around for a online sale. I'll think about it after I buy them.

J: Sorry, not my size.

And now I need to get some real work done...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics