• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Seiko 5?

inq89

Reaction score
I am a college student starting my watch collection. I already have a black Hamilton Khaki field watch and am now looking for a Seiko 5. I want a simple, white faced watch and am stuck between a Seiko SNKD97K1 or a standard Seiko 5 that can be had for less money on Amazon or Overstock. I love the handsome look of the SNKD97K1 but am afraid it is too busy and sporty and will not be as practical or all-purposed as a simpler faced one. I will be using it for class, work, formal, and casual use. Needs to be appropriate for an interview as much as going out at night.

Should I spend the extra money and go for the SNKD97K1, or opt for a simpler Seiko that can be used for all occasions? Or do you think the SNKD97K1 is conservative enough?

SNKD97K1 $110
image-product-men-seiko-5-automatic-men-snkd97k1_02

"Simple" Seiko 5 $68
L13008601.jpg

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Seikos, but don't these look a little bit too much like Rolexes(?)

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sporturas do it for me, btw. "Ughhhh...nice watch..." (c) Jay-Z

SNAD23.jpg

dv_indian

Reaction score
I like the first one better.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the first one a lot, but I think it would look much better with a black leather strap.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the two, get the first one. Both of those models have glow-in-the-dark dots.
I have one almost identical to it but mine has 6, 9, 12 on the face. Otherwise identical.
Excellent watch for the money.

inq89

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, but for the first one, will it look too "busy" if I wore it with, say a suit or to an interview? Is it flexible enough for all occasions or best worn in casual settings?
Originally Posted by Bull
I love Seikos, but don't these look a little bit too much like Rolexes(?)
Yes it looks like a Rolex Explorer II imo. And for a fraction of the price, the non fashion inclined will never know!

JN41

Reaction score
FYI -- the first watch posted has an integrated bracelet so you can't change the bracelet in favour of a leather strap (or solid link bracelet for that matter). On that basis alone, I'd go with option 2 (as I prefer its flexibility/versatility).

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
Thanks for the input, but for the first one, will it look too "busy" if I wore it with, say a suit or to an interview? Is it flexible enough for all occasions or best worn in casual settings?!

I see no reason why it can't be worn to an interview. The white-faced models are quiet enough.
Sure a slim plain watch may be preferred, but this 5 will be fine.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer faces with at leat some numerals so neither would be my pick. Of the two I'd go the second and get a leather strap. I think for interviews it would look better (not that most people would worry).

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why all the angst about which watch to wea for an interview? If you have on a shirt and jacket then your watch doesn't even have to be visible, you could have an IWC or a G Shock. If you start looking at your watch during an interview they're gonna think you're bored or got somewhere else to be so they wont give you the job.

Both watches are OK, the second one a bit boring so I would lean to the sportier one.

inq89

Reaction score
Thanks everyone again for the imput. I'm now leaning towards the second since you all made a good point about the flexibility of changing watch straps. May get a leather strap for formal occasions and ribbon for summer.

Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Why all the angst about which watch to wea for an interview? If you have on a shirt and jacket then your watch doesn't even have to be visible, you could have an IWC or a G Shock. If you start looking at your watch during an interview they're gonna think you're bored or got somewhere else to be so they wont give you the job.

Both watches are OK, the second one a bit boring so I would lean to the sportier one.

Well if Im wearing a shirt and jacket with correct tailoring and proportions (which I have, this is styleforum lol) then my watch always shows, in which case I need a watch that won't be too loud. I would never wear a chronograph or G shock with a suit, and the bezel on the first watch makes it sporty and hence unwearable in my mind, though I realize I am thinking too much into it.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silver hands disappear against a silver dial in low light conditions. I prefer SNX123K (black face) or SNX121K (white face).

Twotone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads