• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Struggling to decide on what 3rd suit to buy

syje

Reaction score
Been reading SF for ages but finally decided to sign up to ask for some advice!

There is a local MTM shop I have built up some credit with and I've decided to buy my third suit from them. I have bought from them before and love their stuff, and with my odd proportions, MTM is the minimum I'll go for shirts and suits. But the question of which kind of suit to get is driving me insane.

I have a navy worsted wool three piece suit with a very subtle pinstripe, and a charcoal worsted wool three piece suit with a mild plaid pattern. I am an artist who wears suits anywhere from once a month to 5-6 times, almost always while in the spotlight rather than blending into an office, so I don't need suits for weekly business wear. I wear suits because I choose to, and I enjoy it, though I still like classic details and have respect for the history. Also, I live in New England, where we get very cold winters and humid, often hot summers.

I am torn between three options:

1. A medium gray wool with a slightly textured weave, normal classic details. Something I can wear year round. Or possibly a medium/dark brown nailhead.
2. A navy hopsack, with casual details like patch pockets and brighter buttons. Something I can wear year round, as it is advertised as "year round" and not "seasonal" like other suits offered at this shop, including one cold-weather hopsack fabric. And if I go with this option, I can theoretically have the jacket pull double duty as a blazer separate.
3. A seasonal suit of some sort, like a charcoal Donegal, or a medium/dark grey flannel maybe double breasted.

Option 1 seems pretty "safe" and gives me a third suit color to work with.

Option 2 seems like it would add versatility to my wardrobe, but I am worried about A) hopsack trousers and how they wear / if I'd be able to wear them as separates / if this would defeat the purpose of this plan and B) if a "year round" hopsack wool really exists, if it would keep me as warm in a New England winter as a year round wool (not to say the wool would get the job done necessarily, but I am afraid of wearing what would effectively feel like a linen fabric or something). Plus I'd have 2 out of 3 suits be navy.

Option 3 seems very limiting. A winter suit would be awesome, but by March or April it gets packed away until October or November. Or I could go with a summer suit in linen, which, I mean, I can always warm up in a suit but it's a lot harder to cool off, so a summer suit would seem to be more valuable than a winter suit. But the downside there is that I drop some money on a new suit that I can't use until at least April or May, and that just doesn't seem like much fun. Especially when I can get away with wearing my linen blazer and linen trousers in the meantime.

I am really having a tough time here! Any ideas?

syje

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. That's also what I'm leaning towards as well. In particular the brown the more I think about it, just to get a different "canvas" of color in my wardrobe. The brown in particular is a medium shade in nailhead to give it a little texture. I'm going today to see it in person to be sure.

My gut is telling me to do option 1, and then find a separate navy blazer another time and not try to get matching trousers, and wait to buy seasonal suits until I have more fully versatile suits in my wardrobe.

If I got third third suit in medium grey or brown, would anyone give me a hard time if I added patch pockets and casual buttons to occasionally wear the jacket as a separate? It's worsted wool but with some texture. Either that or I stick with classic pockets and buttons and keep it simple.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with option 1. I wouldn't start looking into seasonal suits just yet until you have 4-5 suits unless there is a special occasion to do so.

syje

Reaction score
I agree with option 1. I wouldn't start looking into seasonal suits just yet until you have 4-5 suits unless there is a special occasion to do so.

Word. Thanks for the advice, everyone! I ended up with the brown worsted nailhead, traditional details except for slightly softer shoulders. Not gonna try to get cute with doubling it as a sports jacket or anything like that. Just workhorse year round balance.

Maljunulo

Reaction score
Word. Thanks for the advice, everyone! I ended up with the brown worsted nailhead, traditional details except for slightly softer shoulders. Not gonna try to get cute with doubling it as a sports jacket or anything like that. Just workhorse year round balance.

Got a photo of the fabric?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads