• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Crockett & Jones should I get the MOLTON Square Toe Dark Brown Rough-Out Suede(007 Edition) or the UPTON Round Toe Dark Oak Suede?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without minding the price, what are your thoughts about this Square Toe Crockett & Jones Shoes compared to this Upton Darkoak Suede Crockett & Jones, I'm unsure if the square toe looks appealing but the movie tie-in is definitely having me set for it because I love the 007 franchise especially Craig's tenure but the latter one looks stylish or even more. What are your thoughts?

If you're wearing suits regularly ,the Bond shoe will work. If your wardrobe is on the casual side, then the chukka boots are the right choice. Think about the totality of the outfit.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he's looking at the rough out chucka from the Bond series - that wouldn't really work with a suit - especially given the waxy rough-out material. I wouldn't worry about one being in a Bond film and the other not. The Milton is a waxed rough-out while the Upton is a traditional suede. So the Molton is much more of a natural weather-proof boot but will look as such - suede will provide you a slightly dressier (although this is still a fairly casual boot) appearance. Both are rubber soled (albeit different soles). So, to me it comes down to the leather choice - do you want the more rugged looking and weather reseistent rough out or the slightly dressier suede?

Reaction score
I think he's looking at the rough out chucka from the Bond series - that wouldn't really work with a suit - especially given the waxy rough-out material. I wouldn't worry about one being in a Bond film and the other not. The Milton is a waxed rough-out while the Upton is a traditional suede. So the Molton is much more of a natural weather-proof boot but will look as such - suede will provide you a slightly dressier (although this is still a fairly casual boot) appearance. Both are rubber soled (albeit different soles). So, to me it comes down to the leather choice - do you want the more rugged looking and weather reseistent rough out or the slightly dressier suede?
I am really unsure, I'm just factoring in all of the pros and cons of each pair. Ultimately, I am still very undecided. The 007 edition of the square toe is setting me off though, what do you think about the square toe?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Moltons and love the more chiseled last. In a way, it does dress the very casual roughout suede up a bit, though I wouldn't wear these with tailored clothing unless weather dictated it. As others have noted, these are extremely hardy, weatherproof boots. So far, mine have made it through a Chicago Fall, Winter and now Spring and handled everything thrown at them. Extremely low maintenance too. All they need is an occasional wipe down with a damp rag and brushing (get a stiffer pig bristle brush). Looking at them after their fist Winter, I can't imagine having to rewax them for several years.

The Bond connection is cool; I have a pair of Islay also. At the end of the day, however, it's the C&J quality, unique style of the boot and indestructible weatherproof ability of the boot that are the deciding factors for me.

Also, I'd never consider them to have a square toe. Chiseled, I think is a more apt term. To me square toe refers to an abomination such as this:

207390-2121x1414-Mens-Square-Toe-Dress-Shoes.jpg

Moltons
29540a-s52d2_molton_2.jpg

Attachments

• 1653738770938.jpeg
    1653738770938.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

db530

Reaction score
I have the Moltons and love the more chiseled last. In a way, it does dress the very casual roughout suede up a bit, though I wouldn't wear these with tailored clothing unless weather dictated it. As others have noted, these are extremely hardy, weatherproof boots. So far, mine have made it through a Chicago Fall, Winter and now Spring and handled everything thrown at them. Extremely low maintenance too. All they need is an occasional wipe down with a damp rag and brushing (get a stiffer pig bristle brush). Looking at them after their fist Winter, I can't imagine having to rewax them for several years.

The Bond connection is cool; I have a pair of Islay also. At the end of the day, however, it's the C&J quality, unique style of the boot and indestructible weatherproof ability of the boot that are the deciding factors for me.

Also, I'd never consider them to have a square toe. Chiseled, I think is a more apt term. To me square toe refers to an abomination such as this:

207390-2121x1414-Mens-Square-Toe-Dress-Shoes.jpg

Moltons
29540a-s52d2_molton_2.jpg
Those Moltons look nice! I might have to check those out. What size are you in other brands?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads