• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Alden Modified Last Shoe should I add - Shell?

Mike147

Reaction score
I'm an Alden modified last guy (nothing else fits well with my orthotics) - 9.5 EEE and starved for Shell Cordovan. Been wearing them for 5-6 years now an nothing comes close to the fit for me OTR. I have a number of shoes in Calf to include:
1. Old Cap Toe in Black Calf with Rubber Sole (Last Legs)
2. Medallion Cap Toe in Black Calf
3. Perf Cap Toe in Black Calf
4. V-Tips in Brown Calf & Brown Suede
5. Pair of Medallion Cap Toe Boots in Brown Calf

I have an opportunity to order a pair of Shell Cordovan on the Modified Last and am looking for advice on what to add to my wardrobe. I haven't had luck with the fit of the Wingtips on the Modified Last (not tight enough across the instep) - Not sure if the LWB will present the same issue as the standard wingtip so for now, I'm going to stay away from the wingtip category, which sucks, b/c I love them.

I wear suits for work 80% of the time so need something a little bit dressy. I am considering a plain cap toe or perforated cap toe in:
1. Shell Color #8
2. Ravello
3. Open to suggestions for other colors (not black!)

Wanted to see if anyone on SF has a view on Regular versus Perforated Captoe and whether or not to get Shell #8 or Ravello. I suspect Ravello will take a very long time to get, while #8 is more readily available. I'm open to discussions on other colors as well.

Also - since Modified Last shoes are not normally fully leather-lined, I am wondering if Alden will leather line them for me in a custom makeup. I don't mind the cotton lined Footbalance shoes in terms of comfort. However, I believe that fully leather-lined shoes will survive much longer than the half-cotton alternative.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post. Mike

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#8 shell is versatile in that it looks good for formal business wear as well as for casual/social occasions.

Mike147

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
#8 shell is versatile in that it looks good for formal business wear as well as for casual/social occasions.

Appreciate the feedback - I've always liked #8. Guess I don't like the color as much when it is new as it seems very dark - have heard it lightens up a bit with age. Any thoughts on Perf Cap Toe versus Plain Cap Toe?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about cigar?

Mike147

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
What about cigar?

I like Cigar - But fear it will take too long to source. I might get them a year from now instead of 4-6 months. Does anyone wear Ravello with Navy Blue suits on a regular basis? Not sure if Ravello is more rare than Cigar...

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Consider that you might be within the window for availability of Cigar. I think the Ravello is too, red, making #8 more versatile; however, the deep brown of Cigar goes with just about anything, too.

As far as color goes for versatility, I rate them this way (IMO):
#8 > Cigar > Ravello > Whiskey.

I have the black shell in the plain cap-toe. It is my least worn shoe, because it is black.

Mike147

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
Consider that you might be within the window for availability of Cigar. I think the Ravello is too, red, making #8 more versatile; however, the deep brown of Cigar goes with just about anything, too.

As far as color goes for versatility, I rate them this way (IMO):
#8 > Cigar > Ravello > Whiskey.

I have the black shell in the plain cap-toe. It is my least worn shoe, because it is black.

I'm with you 100% - I have way too much Black - enough black for the rest of my life. But selection on the Modified Last is quite limited so I'm been kindof forced into Black. And I don't particularly like Burgundy Calf used on Modified Last Makeups from Moulded Shoe - too much red...

Are your Plain Cap-Toe Modified Last?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike147
I'm an Alden modified last guy (nothing else fits well with my orthotics) - 9.5 EEE and starved for Shell Cordovan. Been wearing them for 5-6 years now an nothing comes close to the fit for me OTR. I have a number of shoes in Calf to include:
1. Old Cap Toe in Black Calf with Rubber Sole (Last Legs)
2. Medallion Cap Toe in Black Calf
3. Perf Cap Toe in Black Calf
4. V-Tips in Brown Calf & Brown Suede
5. Pair of Medallion Cap Toe Boots in Brown Calf

I have an opportunity to order a pair of Shell Cordovan on the Modified Last and am looking for advice on what to add to my wardrobe. I haven't had luck with the fit of the Wingtips on the Modified Last (not tight enough across the instep) - Not sure if the LWB will present the same issue as the standard wingtip so for now, I'm going to stay away from the wingtip category, which sucks, b/c I love them.

I wear suits for work 80% of the time so need something a little bit dressy. I am considering a plain cap toe or perforated cap toe in:
1. Shell Color #8
2. Ravello
3. Open to suggestions for other colors (not black!)

Wanted to see if anyone on SF has a view on Regular versus Perforated Captoe and whether or not to get Shell #8 or Ravello. I suspect Ravello will take a very long time to get, while #8 is more readily available. I'm open to discussions on other colors as well.

Also - since Modified Last shoes are not normally fully leather-lined, I am wondering if Alden will leather line them for me in a custom makeup. I don't mind the cotton lined Footbalance shoes in terms of comfort. However, I believe that fully leather-lined shoes will survive much longer than the half-cotton alternative.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post. Mike

I would not get shell in a balmoral/oxford. Because of the folding that happens with shell, a blucher/derby would be better.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
perfcap blucher in #8 is you answer, next would be a PTB in ravello, then get a whiskey LWB
devil.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Black and #8 are always available. The other colors are hard to get and the lighter they are the harder they are to get.

I have come to agree that shell is better as a blucher. Not because of creasing, necessarily, but because it's a thick, rustic material that works better as a heavier shoe.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Well said. In light of that try a Cigar PTB.

Also, I wear an 11.5 B. My foot is narrow. I bought my black shell plain captoes from The ShoeMart.com. They told me that they can do makeup shoes, but it is nice when you have a local retailer to work with who can be your advocate.

It seems that Alden could have a nice sideline for specialty make-up shoes if they were so inclined. I get the impression that they are not too interested to accomodate, but will for a significant up-charge.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would only want shell as a wingtip or tassel loafer. I dont understand the need for shell in a dress shoe, maybe a conversation with Alden is in order to allow this as an option or completely remove it. Infact I only own shell cordovan as 'country' shoes with double soles and I'm buying the wingtips this fall.

I'm for darker colors, I'm removing light colored shoes from my rotations I just find them impossible to pair with anything. I know SF is in love with tan shoes with practically anything, but I dont think it looks great.

Mike147

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I would not get shell in a balmoral/oxford. Because of the folding that happens with shell, a blucher/derby would be better.

Will do - i find I can't wear Bals - with my thick orthotics, they just don't fit well

Mike147

Reaction score
Quick follow up:

I went with the Perf Cap Toe in #8 - they came out great after a long wait. I'll post some pics when I get back into town..

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
cool i think a good choice looking forward to pictures!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics