• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where Would You Wear These?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Recently run on AAAC, but I'd like the opinions of this crowd too)

I'm interested in purchasing a pair of suede/leather oxfords (like those below), but have hesitated because of uncertainties about likely use. Is there an ideal context or situation for shoes like this? How general is their wearability? Here are the two examples I'm most interested in:

http://www.gazianogirling.com/astaire.html

http://www.budapester-shoes.com/hand...PRODUKT_ID=308

With the G&Gs, I'd probably go with regular smooth calf instead of the pin-grain finish shown and would get them with the DG70 smart round last. In both, I'd go with these colors--dark brown and similar-colored suede.

Which do you prefer, and how useful would either be?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger, i own the G&G's and love them.
I wear them in fall, but as some of the cooler days of spring lingered, I kept them in rotation.
I'm a prof, so i wear them to work /lecture. The dark on dark leather color
saves the shoe from beingstrictly a spring / summer spectator, but don't know why it couldn't be. It feels more fall winter to me.
Comfortable shoe, and I got mine the same as it is featured in the catalog.
It has been paired with about every suit /sporcoat combination I have.
Gorgeous shoe IMO, never fails to get a compliment or two when i wear them.

So my take is you could wear them most of the time,in most contexts, with a good variety of options.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Astaires caught my eye the first time I looked at the G&G site. Personally, I'd wear them pretty well anywhere in Fall/Winter. I'm not a business man though, so when I say anywhere, I don't include an office.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Designprofessor, thanks for your thoughts on this. I too am a prof, but hadn't thought about these for lecturing or research activities. You may have changed my mind. I agree that, in this dark shade, they would seem to be more appropriate for fall/winter/early spring. Are yours made on the DG70 last (smart round last) or the traditional round last (GG06)? I had thought that the DG70 made the most sense for me. I had also thought about adding a toe medallion (as with the Vass) if I went with the G&G, but am not sure of that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics