• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you keep your phone?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great! It's helpful to know that the cut can compensate for the phone. Thanks! Can I ask where you keep your wallet? I have a minimalist wallet that usually lives there.

I keep everything between the various pockets inside my coat. Most of my suit jackets and sport coats have four pockets: two standard in-breast pockets, a pen pocket, and a third pocket set just below one of the in-breast pockets.

Between these pockets, I carry a wallet, keys, iPhone, fountain pen, and small notebook. Sometimes I trade the wallet out for a card case and a money clip.

The wallet is thin, so it doesn't add much bulk (width-wise). In the last photo below, you can see it sliding into one of the in-breast pockets. And in the same photo, you can see how just below the in-breast pocket is a third in-breast pocket and a pen pocket.

tumblr_inline_ph3aqwsmVG1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_ph3apsCPmz1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_ph3aq04kfC1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_ph3aq9DFLd1qfex1b_540.jpg

JTrent82

Reaction score
I keep everything between the various pockets inside my coat. Most of my suit jackets and sport coats have four pockets: two standard in-breast pockets, a pen pocket, and a third pocket set just below one of the in-breast pockets.

Between these pockets, I carry a wallet, iPhone, fountain pen, and small notebook. Sometimes I trade the wallet out for a card case and a money clip.

The wallet is thin, so it doesn't add much bulk (width-wise). In the last photo below, you can see it sliding into one of the in-breast pockets. And in the same photo, you can see how just below the in-breast pocket is a third in-breast pocket and a pen pocket.

View attachment 1759630 View attachment 1759631 View attachment 1759632 View attachment 1759633
This is a really elegant solution. I assume you've had a tailor add these tertiary pockets? Just rayon?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a really elegant solution. I assume you've had a tailor add these tertiary pockets? Just rayon?

Yes, I have the tailor add them. The coats are custom, so you can get anything you want, and from my experience, they don't mind adding very specific pockets. The lining is Bemberg, so a branded type of rayon.

I've noticed that some Southern Italian tailors will add a small interior pocket close to the hem. I have that on a few coats, but find I never use them. I also find that the contents are less likely to ruin the drape when the pocket is closer to the chest, where it's supported by the haircloth (the material used to shape the chest of the coat)

I have a couple of coats where the interior pocket is finished with a zipper, so that I can secure the contents when traveling. I find that when I travel, I sometimes have to take off my coat and run to the next terminal. As such, I like having a zippered pocket so that important documents and my passport aren't going to fall out.

I also have a coat designed to hold things like newspapers, iPad, and small books. There's also a specially designed pocket here to hold highlighters, which are shorter than fountain pens. The pocket is thus a little shallower so that I don't have to fish out a highlighter from a deep pen pocket.

The pocket here is much bigger to hold books, newspapers, magazines, iPad, and printed journal papers. The design here is taken from a hunting coat design called a "poacher's pocket," where supposedly British hunters used to have this style made so they could hide game from a gamekeeper on a Scottish estate. I don't hunt, but dislike carrying a bag if I'm only carrying something to read at a cafe, so I had this coat made to carry those small items. The weight of the item is supported by a strap that connects to the armhole.

tumblr_inline_pcyg6mgmMo1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pcyg6oms8s1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pcyg6owtfM1qfex1b_540.jpg

JTrent82

Reaction score
Yes, I have the tailor add them. The coats are custom, so you can get anything you want, and from my experience, they don't mind adding very specific pockets. The lining is Bemberg, so a branded type of rayon.

I've noticed that some Southern Italian tailors will add a small interior pocket close to the hem. I have that on a few coats, but find I never use them. I also find that the contents are less likely to ruin the drape when the pocket is closer to the chest, where it's supported by the haircloth (the material used to shape the chest of the coat)

I have a couple of coats where the interior pocket is finished with a zipper, so that I can secure the contents when traveling. I find that when I travel, I sometimes have to take off my coat and run to the next terminal. As such, I like having a zippered pocket so that important documents and my passport aren't going to fall out.

I also have a coat designed to hold things like newspapers, iPad, and small books. There's also a specially designed pocket here to hold highlighters, which are shorter than fountain pens. The pocket is thus a little shallower so that I don't have to fish out a highlighter from a deep pen pocket.

The pocket here is much bigger to hold books, newspapers, magazines, iPad, and printed journal papers. The design here is taken from a hunting coat design called a "poacher's pocket," where supposedly British hunters used to have this style made so they could hide game from a gamekeeper on a Scottish estate. I don't hunt, but dislike carrying a bag if I'm only carrying something to read at a cafe, so I had this coat made to carry those small items. The weight of the item is supported by a strap that connects to the armhole.

View attachment 1759637 View attachment 1759638 View attachment 1759639
Wow! That strap is blowing my mind. I'm very simple if you can't tell, and function like that just makes me giddy. Bravo to you and your tailor.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
that jacket with the poacher's pocket is brilliant!
i dont have any custom clothes but now i want.
i rarely wear a jacket, but when i do, phone and flat wallet go in breast pockets.
when i'm not wearing a jacket, phone goes in the shirt pocket (i only buy shirts with pockets), regular style wallet goes in back pocket, knife is my money clip.. front strong side pocket, keys on carabiner hooked to a belt loop or in other front pocket.
i dont carry a light, but sometimes i feel i should.
i use the knife 10x a day, every day. been carrying one since i'm 12

rjc149

Reaction score
Right inner breast pocket in the jacket when wearing a suit.

Front left pocket with any other casual/business casual outfit.

My phone is always retrieved from its pocket with my left hand. My wallet is always retrieved with my right hand. No particular reason why.

dogjaeja

Reaction score
In order of preference: left at home, left in car, carried in bag, in back right pant pocket, or in pocket square pocket.

TexasToast

Reaction score
When wearing jeans my phone is in my front right or left pocket.if wearing a suit the phone goes in my right breast pocket without the case or in my briefcase withe case. The flashlight goes in my briefcase if wearing a suit or jeans, I don't carry a knife because it is illegal where I'm from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads