• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to wear a pocket square

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Ideally, anytime you are wearing a suit or odd jacket, tie or not. Note: use your judgment for business situations.

Do the same for "in school" situations. It really depends on the school, whether one is a student or a teacher, perhaps (if a student) how much of a "fashion" or "trad" personal style one has, the situation (first day or giving a presentation, for example)....

When to use certain folds would make a good topic.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Since 99/100 pocket squares I see look ridiculous, especially when they are really puffed up...

I don't like for them to extend too far out of the pocket. I prefer to show only a small amount.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you'd like a tutorial on how to wear a pocket square and/or any other business attire, you'll not do better than this photo of Luciano Barbera. Note that nothing matches. The dark blue in the pocket square picks up the much lighter blue in the shirt, and the orange in the square echos the fox suede of the shoes and light tortoise of the glasses; and that's as close as any of it gets. It's the artful interplay of all the disparate colors that makes the combination work.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/...1600-h/LB1.jpg

chewy

Reaction score
I let my mood dictate, but follow a few rules:

(almost always with a suit)

1. white linen only,
2. TV fold, almost hidden in the pocket,
3. only one thing of flash at a time, meaning if my tie stands out, I wear nothing else extra; if I put in a lapel pin, nothing else extra; i.e., bold tie, pocket square and lapel pin are all mutually exclusive for me.

With a "hidden" white linen pocket square, you can actually be fairly creative and ease into the whole thing. Sometimes, I'll flip the way I insert it so that the piping is the only thing that peeps out. It's nice.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When ever I have a suit on or a blazer/sport coat I always wear one, it dosent matter where I am or who i'm with it's just what I do.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always ala Lapo Elkann
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads