• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When do you pay your bespoke tailor?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor after he's done.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pay usually at the end. Some tailors look at you aghast if you try to leave a deposit, especially if you were brought to them by a longstanding client. However, if I don't bring my own fabric to a new tailor, sometimes a deposit is requested to cover the cost of the fabric.

The last option is for low down stinking rats.

Pariolino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
I pay usually at the end. Some tailors look at you aghast if you try to leave a deposit, especially if you were brought to them by a longstanding client. However, if I don't bring my own fabric to a new tailor, sometimes a deposit is requested to cover the cost of the fabric.

The last option is for low down stinking rats.

Vero? You think?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pariolino
Vero? You think?
laugh.gif
infatti.... But in all seriousness, it is quite a sad situation when it happens. The tailor has put a lot of time, effort, and thought into the garment, and the lost income from the labour and fabric is a hit, especially for the smaller scale tailors. So yeah, the people who responded to the poll for the last option are low men.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 10% deposit is acceptable unless of course it is Darren Beaman who should only be paid at the end.

HKTenor

Reaction score
I paid a reasonable deposit the first time I visited my tailor. Since then, it's always been at the end - I would be happy either way but I suppose it is less book-keeping for them to do it all at once.

Also, willingness to pay huge amounts is highest when basking in the glow of beautiful new clothes, so it's probably a good strategy for easing the clients' pain and making them feel that bespoke suitings are a worthy use of money which otherwise might be squandered on shelter, education, or medicine for sick maman...

Er....or maybe I'm projecting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads