• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the general consensus on Penguin?

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
Most of their stuff has that huge penguin logo on it, which kinda sucks. Same thing with Ben Sherman shoes. Stuff that could be decent sometimes sans logo. But no, they insist on putting huge ugly logos on their stuff.

Mostly, I'd puke on it. Reminds me of Urban Outfitters and bowling retro.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a peacoat i bought from macy's 2 years ago. it fits nicely, but the only thing that sucked was that all the buttons had the penguin logo on it, and they weren't sewn on very tightly, which made it easy for me to replace them with non-logo buttons.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I like Penguin. Their stuff is always on sale, and their vintage fit cuts closer to the body than most clothing companies. For my physique it's pretty flattering. Plus I like the retro color combinations/patterns on their shirts and sweaters ... I can't think of many other companies that are doing anything similar. As for the logo, I think it's alright.

So yeah, I'm a fan.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big fan. Their polos are awesome for an athletic build. They fit me damn near perfectly, are amazingly comfortable, and I really dig the deep neck on the Earl polos.

The logo is barely visible on their polos, too.

I just got a jacket, too. We'll see how it fits.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some penguin stuff. Not all of it has the logo on the chest, a lot of items are on the bottom sleeve so it's not noticable.

Penguin fits me a lot better than mall brands. It also tends to be slightly higher quality. So, I'm a fan...

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in NYC i've been seeing a lot of people wearing them oversized, missized etcetera., lately, seen quite a few photoshoots and mannequins and magazine articles featuring penguin here too. the net effect is that a lot of abercrombie/AX douchebags are graduating to penguin while hiphoppers are wearing 3xl penguin as an alternative to lacoste.

I mean, it's always been around, but I've seen a lot more of it recently.

My vote is I'd wear a plain white penguin polo with the logo in the summer, probably, but that's about it.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, the fits are great. where slim fit really means slim fit. and not all of the designs have the Penguin logos in obvious places. one of my favorite shirts is a white button down with a small penguin on the sleeve.

-Jeff

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Their Earl polos are great, fit is really good and I like the white contrast piping. Dont mind the penguin on chest on this particular polo. The other striped polos have too much of a 70s vibe so I don't like them

I also have 2 dress shirts, buttondowns with short 2" penny collars. Great fit and the logo is on the cuff and pretty inocuous as it blends in with the shirt color

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda a side note...but is the OP seeking vindication? If it fits and looks good, who cares what Internet personalities say?

I just find it funny that so many people give crap to people who wear certain brands/styles. Wear what works for you.

kakemono

Reaction score
i think they were just making sure it wasnt gonna fall apart after 3 wears and is a waste of money?

least thats what would like to interpret the OP wanting to know - though i generally fail at reading people's minds.

-that said, I own none.
smile.gif

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have some okay sweaters but the brand for me has lost its appeal. My mom works at the company that distrubutes for canada and i get a decent discount, but i haven't asked her to pick me up anything in years.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Love the penguin. Great fits, plentiful sales.

The brand is known, but its not overexposed to the point that I'm embarrassed to have the penguin logo on my chest.

You need to pay attention to the fabric though - the Penguin is not afraid to make use of polyester blends (especially vintage stuff from the Grand Slam line).

velobran

Reaction score
I like the overall style of the brand. I have a few short sleeve button-ups and a few polos and I like them. They last longer than other brands in the same price range. I also like some of their winter/wool stuff but being in Fort Lauderdale, it would never see the light of day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads