• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best Proteine shake

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really
facepalm.gif
when I hear stuff like 'thou shalt have a 2:1 carb: protein ratio with whey 17.653 minutes after completing a workout or thy biceps shalt cry afoul.'

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take any dietary or exercise advice on this forum with a grain of salt. Most people on here have no idea what they are talking about. A few do.

Neo1824

Reaction score
I've used several but generally stick to Designer Protein. The price is generally good, it mixes well and tastes fine.

superfans124

Reaction score
for the first time, I just bought a 5 pounds can of optimum gold standard whey like yesterday, still trying to figure out how often to drink and how much to drink. what I worry the most right now is how I'm suppose to drink the same blend-tasting stuff continuously for weeks, it's becoming a chore quickly, yak.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by superfans124
for the first time, I just bought a 5 pounds can of optimum gold standard whey like yesterday, still trying to figure out how often to drink and how much to drink. what I worry the most right now is how I'm suppose to drink the same blend-tasting stuff continuously for weeks, it's becoming a chore quickly, yak.

Protein powder doesn't replace what a good diet should look like - almonds, flax, broccoli, fish, steak, blueberries, eggs, walnuts, spinach, wheatgrass, etc. - and a big mac every so often.

It's impossible to answer your question since no one knows how hard you stress your body, and therefore whether you need protein supplementation at all. Maybe for you it's just a big waste of money.

But to respond to the issue of taste, ON **************** any way you take it. Then again, I don't take protein to savour every sip - it goes down as quick as it takes to mix.

Along with three small meals, I take about two (max three) shakes per day - each shake two scoops or depending on what I feel my body needs. One of those, when I wake in the morning, I make a smoothie out of: blueberries, some frozen fruit, flax, almonds, a little juice (low-acid apple or grape), some water with any VANILLA or natural protein so it doesn't interfere too much with the taste of the other things (actually, the vanilla gives it nice flavoring).

I love liquid breakfast. For the most part, I'm done with solid food in the morning.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo1824
I've used several but generally stick to Designer Protein. The price is generally good, it mixes well and tastes fine.

I like Designer but find it to be astronomical in price, at least the last time I checked.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
Eggs in the morning are the best for me.

This is why I switched to a liquid diet for breakfast. I always eat eggs. Fine. But I have this tremendous weakness for lots of bread and cheese with my eggs - camembert, gouda, havarti, you name it. Consequently, I end up feeling like my digestion comes to a standstill, and breakfast sits in my gut for hours.

I cannot be trusted around cheese in the mornings. I've come to accept this.

superfans124

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Protein powder doesn't replace what a good diet should look like - almonds, flax, broccoli, fish, steak, blueberries, eggs, walnuts, spinach, wheatgrass, etc. - and a big mac every so often.

It's impossible to answer your question since no one knows how hard you stress your body, and therefore whether you need protein supplementation at all. Maybe for you it's just a big waste of money.

But to respond to the issue of taste, ON **************** any way you take it. Then again, I don't take protein to savour every sip - it goes down as quick as it takes to mix.

Along with three small meals, I take about two (max three) shakes per day - each shake two scoops or depending on what I feel my body needs. One of those, when I wake in the morning, I make a smoothie out of: blueberries, some frozen fruit, flax, almonds, a little juice (low-acid apple or grape), some water with any VANILLA or natural protein so it doesn't interfere too much with the taste of the other things (actually, the vanilla gives it nice flavoring).

I love liquid breakfast. For the most part, I'm done with solid food in the morning.

appreciate those comments.

now, me specifically, I've been tall and skinny all my life, I'm 6'3 and 160 lbs (goal is to get to 175 by the end of the year). I know my problem all along is that I never eat right, never had breakfasts (smokes and water in the morning) and lived on 2 meals a day for years. the result is that my stomach has been trained (not by intention) to feel full quickly.

I've only started working out for 2 months without any suppliments, and so far the net gain in weight is minimum. I figure this is still due to lack of primary nutrients, so I decided to try protein shake. for the past 2 months, my eating-better-routine has been: 1 egg (think it's time to upgrade to 2, since I really hate the smell and taste of eggs, never liked it or ate it from when I was little) and half a glass of milk (again, never a milk drinker before) in the morning and 2 bite-size bread; full meal at lunch, bowl of rice with beef or chicken or whatnot; snack around 3, a cold ham sandwich; then a full dinner; another half glass of milk and some cold lean bite-size sausages and fruit (banana or apple) after workout before sleep.

I do alternating 45 mins session (day 1: chest, shoulders and back, day 2: arms, abs and lower body) 5 days a week, I think my routines are busy enough that I lose about a pound of water in sweat during each workout. I sweat alot, I don't know if it has something to do with my metabolism and maybe its subsequent contribution to my skinniness, but I sweat far easily compares to an average person especially in this weather. I have observed: when no one else is sweating, I have wet forehead and armpits; when others have wet foreheads, I'm dripping mad sweat; when others are dripping mad sweat, I'd probably be dead already from dehydration. sometimes I'd choose to eat less and occasionally skip a meal just to combat my high perspiration.

my primary goal is just to gain weight, muscle up would be a very appreciating bonus, I really hope the addition of protein shake would be the missing link. But I don't know how much to drink as I don't calculate my intake that carefully ( I doubt I ever consumed enough calories a day, suggested based on my BMI), and what is the formula? is it 1 gram of protein shake for each kg of your body weight, or 2 grams for each kg?

another funny but serious questions, how do you more experienced folks deal with farting from protein gains? I've noticed ever since I started taking in more protein, my farts got louder and harder to control. in the past I could manage to let it out quietly without making a scene, but now they are more frequent and loud burrrs that shoots like machinegun.
frown.gif

oroy38

Reaction score
Superfans,

The majority of your protein should be had via your regular diet, and a protein shake should only be added to your REGULAR DIET if you're missing out on some protein. You might want to consider a weight gaining shake as well. You don't necessarily have to shell out a bunch of money for one either as they're fairly easy to make. Here's my weight gaining shake recipe:
1-2 modest scoops of ice cream (your choice of flavor)
However many scoops of protein it takes to get 60g of protein in your shake
3/4 cup steel cut oats
1/2Banana
A few tablespoons of peanut butter
Mix with Milk

Have one of those before going to bed, and you'll gain the weight you want, and it'll be lean mass, provided that your workouts cater to building muscle.

What do I mean by that? Well it's rather simple. If you're looking to build a lot of muscle, you should be ingesting 1.5 to 2g of protein PER POUND of bodyweight. NOT KILOGRAM. So if you're 100lbs, you should be getting 150-200g of protein every day. Sounds like a lot, right? Well it is, but it's an easy task if you break up your diet right and you have 6 small meals a day. Piece of cake.

As for Post Workout, the first thing you do after you workout, before you take a shower, before you get in your car to leave the gym, you want to drink your protein shake. It should have AT LEAST 30g of protein in it, and the sooner you do this after stopping your workout, the better. Your metabolism is racing while you're working out, and your body is searching for nutrients, so what's going to happen is the proteins are going to go straight to repairing the muscle that you've torn up AND reduce the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) that you get the day after you workout.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that just having a protein shake only covers the basics. If you really want to get the full benefits of a PWO (Post WorkOut) Shake, then you need to add 2 vital things to it.

Sugars
L-Glutamine

By Sugars, I mean a Maltose/Dextrose blend. Because your metabolism is going into overdrive and just searching for nutrients in general, these sugars are going to go straight to muscle development. L-Glutamine is going to help you recover faster and more efficiently, and actually helps to improve upon the repairs that are done while resting.

One thing to take note of: NEVER mix milk into your PWO Shake. Dairy is a Base substance, and will slow down digestion and nutrient absorption, so stay away from that for at least 2 hours after you workout.

A typical PWO Shake for me:
3 scoops of ON Gold Standard Whey
1/2 Banana
Peanut Butter
3 scoops Malt/Dex Blend
1 Scoop Creatine (BioCell, the best pure creatine on the market)
1 Scoop L-Glutamine
Mix with ice cold water.

I drank this after lifting and after training days when I was preparing for an Iron distance Triathlon.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nutritional pseudoscience is fun. I especially like the way bodily systems are anthropomorphised to facilitate the verbs proxied for actual scientific terminology.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
Here's my weight gaining shake recipe:
1-2 modest scoops of ice cream (your choice of flavor)
However many scoops of protein it takes to get 60g of protein in your shake
3/4 cup steel cut oats
1/2Banana
A few tablespoons of peanut butter
Mix with Milk

But why would he (or you or anyone, for that matter) need all that protein? You've got modest amounts of protein from the ice cream, peanut butter, and oats. You've got a healthy amount of protein from the milk. And then, on top of all that, your throwing a whopping 60 grams of protein powder in? That must add up to close to 80-90 grams of protein in one sitting.

If he thinks his flaggelance is bad now, see what happens when he's taking all this protein in one sitting that his body can't absorb, not to mention peeing, pooing, and farting money away.

There's nothing wrong with your shake, but I'd say cut the protein by half.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's the case in point: is a reliance on supplements a dietary issue? I always saw it as one, since people that relied on protein powders tended to not know what to do without one. It's a little too rigid for life. I wouldn't want to go to a restaurant and not know what to get because there isn't Myoplex on the menu. Like I said in another thread, I just see supping and dining as more satiating than eating -- both in the social and nutritional sense.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm not fond of criticizing the concept because people are stupid/take it too far/etc..

My primary assumption here is that a protein shake every now and then doesn't have any deleterious effect on the drinker. So if someone was trying to lose or maintain weight, a simple whey shake every day or twice is a day is relatively low-calorie and high in protein.

The other pro- for shakes is convenience - I'm always running late in the morning. I haven't tried it yet, but a homemade protein shake with real fruit and fiber is something I can drink while I'm driving to the office. I have grabbed a Starbucks smoothie every once in a while lately (280cal, 15g whey protein, 5g fiber) and it keeps me going just fine until lunch without getting hungry - no better or worse than three eggs and a whole-grain waffle or something else I could throw together fast in the morning.

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
But why would he (or you or anyone, for that matter) need all that protein? You've got modest amounts of protein from the ice cream, peanut butter, and oats. You've got a healthy amount of protein from the milk. And then, on top of all that, your throwing a whopping 60 grams of protein powder in? That must add up to close to 80-90 grams of protein in one sitting.

If he thinks his flaggelance is bad now, see what happens when he's taking all this protein in one sitting that his body can't absorb, not to mention peeing, pooing, and farting money away.

There's nothing wrong with your shake, but I'd say cut the protein by half.

It's a weight gaining shake, and assuming he's working out a lot, then the extra proteins he gets from that 1 weight gaining shake are going to aide in muscle repair and in bulking up to his desired weight.

It's more about the calories than the protein itself, but if the shake is all carbs, then it's not going to help at all with muscle repair.

Why,
Nutritional pseudoscience? Honestly? All I did was take what I learned when becoming NASM certified and put it into terms that everyone can understand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads