• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Will Be the Outcome of This PayPal Dispute?

poorman

Reaction score
Long story short:

I made a best offer on a laptop on eBay.

Seller accepted.

I offered to pay him off eBay, asking to lower the price a little more.

He accepted.

I paid him using PayPal "Purchase."

He sent a laptop with a different configuration than in the eBay ad.

He claims he said he was selling a "New in box, Lenovo W520" and that's what he sent.

I told him that he never stated he was sending me a different computer and I assumed we were talking about the one in the eBay ad.

The only thing I have that says anything about the computer I thought I was receiving was in the subject line of the payment window
saying "LENOVO i7 2720QM" and I received a computer with the i7 2620m processor.

Will I win this dispute? Was that assumption and subject line enough? Or will the seller win on that technicality that I wasn't more specific and I will be out $1200. :(

Last edited:

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You paid without using Ebay policy. This is a critical point because of the purchase protection. Even if you are in your right, it's hard to do anything against some user in a different country because of the international law borders and the court costs.

Last edited:

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you draft the funds from a credit card? If so, don't dispute with Paypal, do it with your CC company. Like others have said, you'll probably get screwed by PP since it wasn't Ebay related.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
If you bought something through PayPal I would check the rules regarding transaction paid through PayPal. If this was some side deal still under the auspices of eBay then you should lose.

In other words do not take some advice on an internet forum as gospel. Fight like hell and kick the seller in the nuts.

Last edited:

poorman

Reaction score

Did you draft the funds from a credit card? If so, don't dispute with Paypal, do it with your CC company. Like others have said, you'll probably get screwed by PP since it wasn't Ebay related.

How should I tell them? I bought the item, paid with PayPal and it wasn't the right item?

I should have confirmed what I was buying from the seller, but I didn't! ahh. I bought the item under the assumption it was the same item from eBay.

Does this situation work as a implied-in-fact contract? I'm just looking stuff up about laws or anything that can help me.

I asked about the item through the eBay ad. You know? I'm not pulling stuff out of ****** am I? :(

Last edited:

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
I think you will win. I would not mention anything about bypassing ebay and I doubt the seller will either since he could get in trouble.

Will the guy not do an exchange?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads