• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your first post?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Mine was some time ago.

Yes it was, and quite late at night, too!
laugh.gif

October 5th, 2004, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by mack11211
Styleforum.net is a very exciting, living community, creating a body of information that grows every hour, but I want to start a post on material that exists in printed form.

Everyone on the forum clearly cares a lot about men's clothes and many know a lot about them.

My question: What's on your men's clothing bookshelf. Feel free to include books you yourself have written. I'm less interested in how-to-dress guides than in books on history, philosophy, and aesthetics.

To start: Back in high school, I read whichever Flusser book was current circa 1980, but now one of my favorite books is SEX AND SUITS by Anne Hollander, an art and fashion historian who asks, where did the form of the modern men's suit come from? And why has it lasted 200 years? Her prose is quite beautiful. Her aesthetic is formalist, her style impressionistic. It was published by Knopf in 1994.

Another book I have is The Male Image: Men's Fashion in Britain, 1300-1970 by Penelope Byrde. It's a lot drier but better researched, tracking the evolution of every part of a man's outfit through the centuries.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Erk.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Too funny! And many people also signed their first post(s) with their name!

here's Phat Guido's - erudite from the get-go:

May 5th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Im not quite sure he wore MTM Brioni/Corneliani/Caruso though... you think he did?
laugh.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Im not quite sure he wore MTM Brioni/Corneliani/Caruso though... you think he did?
laugh.gif

Oh I think he did... dude is rich!

Here's the exchange where Rach makes his first appearance!

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Everyday at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, they have more 10 types to offer. Most are wild and many from Canada, and far from the West Coast too. I never saw a European oysters there.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Quote: "Everyday at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, they have more 10 types to offer. Most are wild and many from Canada, and far from the West Coast too. I never saw a European oysters there."

I love how your English gets exponentially better and less Yoda-esque when you actually have something to say.

This is your 1st post?

Originally Posted by Teacher
Congratulations are for you! Your first post, she is among the stars with peanut butter!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
December 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Vaclava Krishna was one of the few to start a thread for their first post in this thread (with poll, no less) titled, "Do you live a life, of quiet perspiration?"

Originally Posted by vaclava krishna
Today on the platform, for the #7, I made a nice conversation with an executive in charcoal 3 piece, captoes, and gray eyebrows. After some time, due to delay of track malfunction, he told me that many man of the company (with him included), are living lives of quite perspiration. A further explanation he tried to give, but to listen above a funky drummer I could not, and embarrassed to ask him to repeat his position. I went on to say, that many gentleman on the message board, are executive types also, and I do not believe are living this life, since they have custom shirts, that allow better circulation. I was interrupted both by the 7# approaching and this man laughing with a menace tone, sounding much like a hyena to my surprise. I hope this thread, can give me some rest assurance, or at least explanation.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ ROFL

can, you find a post, from Vaclav, without commas?

Nope, but I did find his first post ever, and it's rich!!!
laugh.gif

March 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Hello to all so long it;s been, a news I have, but not so pleasant.

At the beer garden on Wednesday late, a bad night I had as a conversation mixed badly with drinking. A nationalist with shaved head, did not like the open heart I displayed, and decided to make the point physical. Out the back I slipped , to preserve the face which, cannot afford a smashing. Too much to drink dizzy I wandered on, stopping at 1 place for dancing, where you can pay a woman 10$ for 1 song (which I did not). A corona I did have, which on top of thoese earlier, proved too much for my holding.

Woke the next day fully dressed, inside the bed alone but without 1 shoe. Today I did find, in a poor state, within an ally behind #2 bar.It's history since our departure, I can only imagine...

myshoe10np.jpg

Any hope, does it have?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
December 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Vaclava Krishna was one of the few to start a thread for their first post in this thread (with poll, no less) titled, "Do you live a life, of quiet perspiration?"

and then shortly after....

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
we still dont get you.

i dont know maybe it is the way you write, i have no idea what you are talking about

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
March 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by iammatt
Over the last three weeks, I have been fortunate to eat at five of the best fine dining establishments in Northern California. Since there are many Californians here, I thought that I would take a minute to write up what I thought of the meals:

Ritz-Carlton Dining Room:

For years this was my favorite restaurant in San Francisco. The previous chef, Sylvan Portay, was a magician. He worked for years as sous chef to Alain Ducasse, and we were very lucky to have him in San Francisco.
The current state of food at the Ritz is not as good. We decided to have the salt and pepper tasting menu. This is known as the house specialty. As with so many "one ingredient" menus, the food had a tendency to be a bit jarring. The service was also overly present and took away from the dining experience. There are no particular dishes that I can suggest, as we had the menu. I should note that the Sommolier is still fantastic and that it is the one place in San Francisco that still has some bottles of Jacques Selosse Champagne in the cellar. The petit fours were also outstanding.

Masas:

The first two chefs to preside over the stoves at Masa's were, in my opinion, the two finest chefs that San Francisco has seen in the last thirty years. Since the departure of Julian Serrano, the food at Masa's has been a bit spotty.
While the current offerings at Masa's are not what they were at their peak, they are as good as they have been since then. The current chef was a student of Serrano's, and then worked for several years at the French Laundry. Short's food is very elegant and simple. It is the opposite of what is found in many trendy restaurants nowadays. There is nothing that ruins the harmony of any of the dishes. I was absolutly thrilled to see that Masa's has returned to the elite restaurants in San Francisco.
I ordered the Tete de Cochon, the Wild Striped Bass and the Veal with Sweetbreads and recommend them all heartily. What I remeber about my wife's meal is that her shortribs were sublime.

Gary Danko:

I was not a fan of Danko's when he was at the Ritx-Carlton or when he was at Draegers. For the first year that he had his eponymous restaurant in San Francisco, I refused to go. I have been three times since then, and have enjoyed the food very much each time. My main complaint is that the bar is too central in the room and it makes for quite a noisy dining experience.
The most memorable dish that I had at Gary Danko was the Osetra Caviar service. It was phenomenal. The blinis were cooked so perfectly that they melted in your mouth. Obviously, the caviar was also excellent, but the blinis were otherworldly. They were the best I have ever eaten. Other standout dishes were the seafood risotto and the duck breast. The service was a bit spotty, but the Sommolier was excellent and the wines he directed us to were very nice.

Cyrus:

Cyrus is the best restaurant in Northern California right now. This was our first visit, and we are already planning a weekend at the adjoining hotel with more meals at Cyrus. The dining room is run by the finest Maitre d'Hotel in Northern California. I believe that he is the finest in the United States. The young chef is excellent and opened Cyrus after working at many of the best restaurants in the area.
We started out with the Caviar Tasting, which included a half of an oz of three different caviars werved with potato sticks. It was great although it did not rise to the level of the caviar service at Gary Danko. From there we ordered the nine course tasting menu. Everthing was perfectly prepared and delicious. The courses were small enough that nobody felt overstuffed after dinner. The deserts were not nearly as good as the rest of the food. I cannot say enough about this restaurant. It is nearly perfect.

Michael Mina:

I wish that we went to Michael Mina second or third instead of last. It is a shame that our gastronomic tour of the Bay Area had to end on such a down note. The restaurant is large and loud. The service is below average and the food is not very good.
The food at Michael Mina is pretentious. There is no debating this. Every dish comes with three preparations of the same ingredient, along with three ramekins of something related at the top of the plate. I think that there must have been a sale on the special three part plates with ramekin holders when they were opening the restaurant. The food is not bad, it is just not very tasty. The parts that are served in the ramekins are annoying as you simply cannot cut food in ramekins. The result is taking huge bites of these parts. I do have to say that the classic mussel souflee is pretty good. I would order it if I had to go back to Mina.
I want to note that the wine list is offensive to the extreme. We often like to drink Champagne with dinner. It always goes well with all sorts of food. At Mina the champagne list is populated with bottle after bottle of $1000+ wine. This is in comparison to the above (better) restaurants where therer are many excellent bottles in the 150-200 range. At Mina the Krug NV was one of the cheapest on the menu. At most fine restaurants around the globe that I have dined at, there is a lot of attention paid to the midlle priced wines. These are generally the best wines with food. At Mina it was all pretens and no substance. I was unimpressed.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Edit: already been covered. Still have my Stratus, but haven't gotten the fan control fixed yet.
smile.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh I think he did... dude is rich!

Here's the exchange where Rach makes his first appearance!

I would like to say that was really my first post... but my original rach2jlc login was lost in the great Server Crash of `06. I have no idea when/where/what my first post was... probably something random about CLOTHES in 2004 or something.
lol8[1].gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
What was the first post on SF?

The oldest one I could find was this:

March 5th, 2002, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by GQgeek
On the old forum i saw mention of resale outlets. Places where you could get stuff like $300 cashmere sweaters for 60 bucks cause they're a season old or something... This to me would be heaven on earth
smile.gif

I have a friend that lives in boston that wants to start dressing better. I believe you said you had compiled lists of where to shop in most cities in the US. Do you have anything for boston? He's still in college so he doesn't have tons and tons of money to spend on clothes. So, if you know of any resale outlets in that area that sell top of the line clothes, he'd be eternally grateful.

Also.. I live in montreal and I'm pretty sure there aren't any good resale outlets here, but if anyone knows of one i'd really like to know. Right now I pretty much buy everything full price at Harry Rosen and it gets really expensive. I dress very well, but casually (no sport jackets or suits cause i'm still in college). Anyway i'm pretty sure montreal doesnt have the volume to support a high quality resale outlet but there's no harm in asking heh.

The brands I'd be looking for in an outlet would be armani collezioni, burberry, boss hugo boss, RL purple, prada, gucci, salvatore ferragamo (i cant seem to find ANY place with a decent selection of these in montreal), etc.

Anyway if you have it great, if not, don't go troubling yourself looking for this stuff. Thanks

I found this response funny - the introduction of Filene's Basement!

March 5th, 2002, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by PConsultant
Another one to check out is Filene's Basement. They're just like T.J. Maxx and often have some great stuff. However, it takes some patient searching and often multiple visits. In the end, though, it's well worth it.

(I'm sure there are earlier posts but this was the earliest I could find at the moment...)

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, now that I think of it, what was the first poast on SF ever?

Can anyone find one earlier than this one?

March 5th, 2002, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Can anyone tell me what the current popular dress code is for the Met or any other NYC Opera on a weeknight? (Not necessarily the code, but rather how most people are dressing.)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well.
I consider my style more like Ralph Lauren or j crew than Armani/AX/Prada.

That really is a seminal statement -- "I consider my style more like Ralph Lauren... than Armani/AX/Prada." Isn't that SF in a nutshell?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics