• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of shirt/tie should I wear with a tux?

jrobjr

Reaction score
Occasion: marriage (mine).
Season: Fall
Time: Late afternoon with early evening reception

Tux: Zegna, single-button, un-vented, with the faintest glen plaid pattern imaginable. Looks dead black from 6' away.

I have always worn wing collar with self-tie bow ties, but I understand that is a bit dated. I have an old stud set that belonged to my grandfather that I am interested in wearing, so a bow tie would be nice if it is still OK to wear.

Do tell...!

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I hate the look of poncey wing collars. They are a hold over from when white tie evolved into black tie. Get a white shirt with a turn down collar and either no ruffles at all ot subtle pleats or picque detail. Learn to tie your own bow tie. By all means wear your studs. Don't even think about a wing collar, as the warm night goes on after you've danced with everyone you will hate it. With my suggestion you can untie your bow and undo your top button for that Bryan Ferry lounge lizard look.

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
Definitely turn down collar in a broadcloth or pique cotton.

I would personally wear a grey morning suit for the afternoon ceremony and wear the tux for the evening reception.

jrobjr

Reaction score
While I love the wing-collar look, they are annoying by the end of the night, so turn-down it is! So, where do I find one that I can get shipped to me in the next 2 weeks?

Originally Posted by Ianiceman

I hate the look of poncey wing collars. They are a hold over from when white tie evolved into black tie. Get a white shirt with a turn down collar and either no ruffles at all ot subtle pleats or picque detail. Learn to tie your own bow tie. By all means wear your studs. Don't even think about a wing collar, as the warm night goes on after you've danced with everyone you will hate it. With my suggestion you can untie your bow and undo your top button for that Bryan Ferry lounge lizard look.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My tux shirt is actually a traditional cotton shirt with French cuffs and medium point collar. I just took it to a seeamstress and had four buttons removed and got her to make four discreet buttonholes instead for the studs. No pleats, ruffles, etc. Can be done overnight. So if you cant find a specific tux shirt that you like, pick out a well fitting quality white broadcloth dress shirt and get it converted.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrobjr
With or without cummerbund?

A single breasted dinner jacket and turn down collar dinner shirt works best with a cummerbund.

A white piquÃ
00a9.png
dress vest or black dinner jacket vest really only looks good with a dress shirt with detachable wing collar.

You could do a fancy lounge vest with an SB jacket and turn down collar shirt, but this goes wrong far more often than it goes right.

Keep it simple and classic for a wedding. Your bride is the main accessory.

- B

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrobjr
With or without cummerbund?

They're pointless, and if you keep your jacket buttoned as you should, then all but invisible. If you are wearing the same suit all day and evening a cummerbund will look incongruous in the afternoon/early evening. Classic Bond didnt need one and neither do you.

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elegantgentleman
I would personally wear a grey morning suit for the afternoon ceremony and wear the tux for the evening reception.
+1, or oxford gray (nearly black) morning coat (cutaway), dove grey vest, and cashmere stripe pants. weather you choose evening or morning wear Go with a stiff detachable turndown collar. [CLickable to enlarge] -ditch the colored PS, my wife insisted on it. Go with white.

mjHession

Reaction score
Blue/pink and shades of grey... And the pink would have been there anyway with the tie and flower. I think it was fine, just not the traditionally correct choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads