• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of glasses/sunglasses frames for my face?

Spong

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm about to buy a few pairs of new glasses and sunglasses and fancy something a bit more stylish and a bit more classic than my current old frames. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify my face shape and suggest what frames might suit it best.

Here's a picture where I've outlined and filled the approximate shape of my face over a photo. The pink line is where my eyes are and the blue line is my approximate eyebrow line.

I was thinking of getting some horn-rims for both glasses and sunglasses, possibly something in the vein of a Ray Ban Wayfarer. I was also considering a pair of Aviator sunglasses and possibly some kind of Persol. I even wondered if I could get away with a Clubmaster?

Do I have the right face shape for any of these?

I also found this picture for the different face types.

I reckon I've got a rectangular face but I'm not 100 per cent sure. I've read plenty about which frames to get for square or round faces (ie: squarer frames for round faces and rounder frames for square faces) but not so much for stretched out variants of these shapes such as oval and rectangular.

Although I think my head is more angular my facial features look more rounded, to me anyway, and I'm not sure if this is a factor for frame shape too.

Also, here's a copy of the previous pic with Wayfarers 'shopped onto my face.

Thanks for any replies.

Ivar

Reaction score

Also, here's a copy of the previous pic with Wayfarers 'shopped onto my face.

Thanks for any replies.

LOL, that's the creepiest thing I ever saw. If you're so concerned about not showing your face, just save the removal link you get when you upload the picture. That way, you can delete the picture when you've received the advice you seek.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Wayfarers are definitely out. The specs you're holding look like they wouldn't be bad. The lenses look thick, you may want to spend the extra for high index lenses. In any case maybe a medium rectangular frame?

Spong

Reaction score

Well, Wayfarers are definitely out. The specs you're holding look like they wouldn't be bad. The lenses look thick, you may want to spend the extra for high index lenses. In any case maybe a medium rectangular frame?

The glasses I'm holding aren't that great. Part of the problem is I want a frame style which looks good as both glasses and sunglasses. With my current frames for some reason they're passable as specs but the sunglasses look utterly ridiculous and emphasise my overly large head - one of the reasons I was going for a larger, bolder frame was to make it look less like a tiny pair of specs lost in a sea of my face :).

I accept your verdict that Wayfarers aren't really suitable but can you tell me why that is? Are they too rounded? What about a similar but more squared-off style? I really would like to find some kind of horn-rimmed style which suits if possible.

Shade Spectacle

Reaction score
I was struggling to find right pair of shades for myself. I have a rectangular head like you and find out after serious googling that Aviators are the perfect choice. Here's one great guide for face shapes what I used to find right sunglasses for my bulky head
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a sunglass store (eg solstice or sunglass hut), try on some sunglasses, see what you like. Just don't get oakleys. Aviators wayfarers are pretty classic shapes. I'd avoid ray ban all together though - they're the Louis Vuitton of sunglasses. The difference between persol & ray ban is the same as the difference between a man and a boy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads