• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What top for this outfit?

SamuelWilson

Reaction score
Ok, here is the outfit...

vintage wash t-shirt (designer: Salvage)
distressed jeans (designer: True Religion)
designer sandals or shoes, but never a sneaker (various designers)

Ok, the question is this, if I wanted something else for the top, like maybe a shirt jacket or blazer, etc., then what should I choose?

I am thinking a blazer. Opinions are welcome.

NMM01F2_mn.jpg

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sounds more like a streetwear post, but here goes.

The blazer is the better choice (with shoes, not sandals, please). Something slim-cut and, assuming it's for warmer weather, in maybe linen or cotton. Probably white or black. Tan is another possibility. Stay away from gray. Almost any large online seller of designer clothing will have something that might work.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, first of all, you hit the trifecta of labels/things I really, really hate. Salvage and True Religion are two brands I would never wear nor recommend, and sandals, imho, are for the beach.

That being said, I think that a cream cotton or linen blazer or biker style jacket would look best with that orange red color, and I imagine, lighter blue jeans. Please, wear shoes - maybe a pair of tan suede desert boots, or even loafers, if you must, but don't wear sandals. Leather mandals look especially stupid, and flip flops have their place, but look wierd with anything more than a teeshirt up top.

SamuelWilson

Reaction score
Thanks mensimageconsultant and LA Guy for your replies. I really appreciate your forwardness. This is why I posted on this forum. I knew I could get an honest up front answer.

Ok, here is my thought at this point.

I am glad you guys back me up on the blazer choice because I really think it is the right choice. I see people wearing hoodies and for some reason, I think they just killed the look. However, I am open and if True Religion actually made a hoodie for men that was edgy like their jeans, then maybe, and this is a big maybe, I would wear a hoodie in that scenerio.

Ok, it will be a linen or cotton (or some other material for warm weather) blazer. I would be wearing as a fashion piece and not to keep warm. This means I would be wearing it, even if it is very hot outside.

LA Guy, I can definitely appreciate your views on these labels. I am not anti-label, but I am anti-logo. Because I am wearing my tees untucked (the only way I would wear them by the way), You don't see the giant "True Religion" patch on the back so I am ok with that. I realize the jeans have signature attributes that let the viewer know they are "True Religion", but it is a personal choice and I really do like the fit. As far as the tees go, part of the style of the tees is the graphics and artwork on them, so in that case, it is ok to see the word "Salvage" on the tee. I make an acception in that case.
I am glad you shared your view with me either way LA Guy. You at least have opened my eyes up a little.

mensimageconsultant, I agree with you that it needs to be a slim fit blazer, no doubt. I would more than likely go with a slim cut Paul Smith blazer or somethign to that nature. It wouldn't even have to be a high end designer for that matter, just as long as it was a slim cut and the right texture and color.

Ok, here is where I am not seeing eye to eye with you guys (mensimageconsultant and LA Guy). I think if it is a nice designer sandal, that I can wear it. I am not talking some raggedy abercrombish sandal. I am talking something that is designed for fashion in mind and not for the beach. I realize that I am standing alone on this way of thinking about the sandal, but I just feel with the right sandal, that I can wear it and it will look ok.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ok, here is where I am not seeing eye to eye with you guys (mensimageconsultant and LA Guy). I think if it is a nice designer sandal, that I can wear it. I am not talking some raggedy abercrombish sandal. I am talking something that is designed for fashion in mind and not for the beach. I realize that I am standing alone on this way of thinking about the sandal, but I just feel with the right sandal, that I can wear it and it will look ok.

I know what you mean by this. Still, I would avoid it with this particular look. Sandals look fine in many situations (and can be necessary in hotter weather), but I think this particular set-up (loud graphic tee, sports jacket or blazer, distressed jeans) is far too overdone with sandals. If it was me I would wear some tan suede wingtips to set it apart from the masses of dudes who picked up on the blazer, t-shirt, distressed jeans trend.

SamuelWilson

Reaction score
Brian SD, thanks for the reply. I am definitely feeling you on the tan suede wingtips, very good recommendation. My preferred shoe choices so far have been my black Gucci horsebit loafer with lug sole and my black crackled John Fluevog wingtips.

NM-0HDP_an.jpg

composite.jpg

I have no problem with the above choices and feel good about my choices. However, I really do like the whole outfit with the sandals as well. Here are the sandals.

3034-222196-d.jpg

DucatiCole, I hear what your saying about the light zip cardigan, but that is just not the look I am going for. Now, if it was really cold outside, then yeah, I could see going with a light zip cardigan.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I have a hard time imagining a blazer and any kind of sandals looking good.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find the outfit of distressed tee, designer jeans, sandals to be exceptionally plebeian.

Also, the footwear which I would recommend would be a slim hi-top, like a Nike blazer or Vans SK-8.

A black blazer and white shoes will do wonders IMO.

Wade M

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamuelWilson
I thought I would kick this thread up. I was hoping someone would back me up on the sandal thing.

Sandals and Blazers just don't work, regardless of how designer the sandals are....IMO, of course....sandals are more 3/4 lenght
smile.gif

--Wade M

JeffVyain

Reaction score
just my opinion, but all of those shoes look pretty hideous. way too bulky for a dressier shoe. but i guess when you're wearing true religion you can get away with it. i personally think you're way too caught up in this "designer" thing...if you wear all that stuff, you're definitely going to have a flashier look to you, but you'll probably look like a douchebag. but hey, you'll have plenty of company...lots of people will be wearing the same thing

cmrocks

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of sandals. How light/dark are your jeans? I personally think that darker jeans and too dressy for sandals and that light jeans look much better. I think it's even better if you ditch the jeans in favor of some jean-cut linen pants or something.

SamuelWilson

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the feedback.

The jeans I prefer are faded. I do have some darker jeans, but I just tend to wear the faded ones more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads