• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sweater to get?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna buy one of the malo navy cashmere sweaters off of bluefly. I like em both, but I only really want 1 navy sweater atm. Most of the time I wear it will be casually, not dressed up (although some people would argue i'm always dressed up heh..). There's 2 options, I could go with Rib knitplain navy v-neck, or a crewneck with rib-knit. Most of the pants I weae are wool, or at least have some wool in them. None of em are cheap and they tend to be made of pretty delicate fabrics that "flow" really nicely when I walk. My question is this. Would the ribbed one be too heavy to go with either kinda delicate pants that have a really nice drape and flow really well or slim fitting pants? I mean would it look totally out of whack? Thing that annoys me with a v-neck is you've always gotta worry about what's underneat it. I dunno but I have this fine line I don't like to cross when I'm at school. I look significantly better than most of the kids there already, but I don't wanna step over the line to the nerdy/preppy category by wearing tons of collared shirts and stuff like that. I kinda think v-neck sweaters with collared shirts underneat might put me over the line. I suppose I could wear a t-shirt underneath, but that can bother me sometimes too cause it can be hard to find one that actually looks decent paired with the sweater. I have a beige cashmere sweater and the v is fairly big, I really can't wear it w/o a proper shirt underneath. Any opinions? I really hate the person who started this trend towards extremely casual (looking like a bum) clothing all the time.

aybojs

Reaction score
Out of curiosity: how old are you and where do you go to school?

As for the sweaters, I like the V-neck myself, and I don't see any real problem with wearing collar shirts underneath. What's wrong with a regular polo under the sweater? That doesn't seem overdone at all. I do agree with you about the trouble with V necks though, I absolutely can't stand V-neck t-shirts, but when a nice shirt is under it, a V neck sweater looks really sweet.

I'm doing the bluefly browsing for a sweater myself, though it's starting to irritate how usefulness and stylishness seem to be mutually exclusive traits for sweaters (e.g. I bought some cable knit on sale from Macy's last year, the weave is so loose I feel all the cold air rushing in when I wear it, and it's otherwise too heavy for casual use). I always thought sweaters were supposed to keep you warm in cold weater, not require you to put a $500 jacket on top just to keep you from freezing to death. God, I'm gonna miss the south when I go back to the East coast for school (end of rant).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha that's kinda true ;p Guess there's knits for different seasons though. Summer knits will obviously be a lot lighter. Come to think of it, that something that kinda pisses me off about having freezing winters and hot summers. There's always one part of your wardrobe that just sits there totally useless for several months a year ;p

I'm 22 and go to school in Canada. Guess most of the people at my school dress kinda like people from the north-eastern states. If even.. Way too many ppl wear t-shirts and jeans every day heh, or stuff like cargo/carpenter pants from gap =(

There's nothing at all wrong with wearing a collared shirt. When i said that i meant a more dressy button down or something, guess you just gotta find the right one and it wont look too dressy. It's just that people are such bums and i don't wanna totally alienate myself so I try and be careful not to go overboard as my wardrobe vastly exceeds that of most adults... A polo shirt underneath never even occured to me and I wonder how that might look. I think I'm probably blowing it outta proportion cause of the difficulty I had finding something to go under my last v-neck that didn't look sloppy.

Either way I still can't decide, maybe i should just flip a coin or something. Or maybe jsut go with the crewneck. Hrm ya that's what im gonna do. It's probably warmer too.

thc

Reaction score
Personally I would go for the v-neck, but only if it's a fairly high v-neck. V-necks, to me, always look "hipper," "dressier," etc, but still casual enough to wear w/jeans. Crew neck sweaters look kind of too casual to me, kind of like stuff to wear around the house with sweats. But if the v-neck is pretty low, then go for the crew neck. From what I remember, though, Malo v-neck sweaters are pretty high.

Or you could just get both and return the one you don't like. Bluefly has a good return policy.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thougth about getting both too, but if i returned one I'd pay a $90cdn penalty. Not from bluefly, but from the sales taxes that I would be charged when it's shipped to me.  I'm not aware of any way to reclaim the taxes in the event that I returned the item I originally payed the taxes on.

I don't really understand when taxes are charged and when they're not thought. I buy stuff from the US over the net a lot and sometimes i get hit with taxes, somtimes i don't...

davei

Reaction score
If it's a gift then Customs Canada won't charge you anything.
It's really hit and miss. Even if it's marked a gift, Customs will sometimes open it up and ding you for the GST. Or the company you're dealing with won't mark it as a gift, which increases the chances of GST dramatically. Or the company you're dealing with insists on using UPS, who charges insane amounts for "clearing charges".

Gift marking is the best way to go, there's still a limit on the amount though. On the whole, it's far easier to get stuff INTO the US without paying anything than it is to get stuff OUT of the US.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn wish I woulda know that before buying it heh. Oh well next time.. Thx guys

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads