• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sunglasses are best for fishing?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but fishing has changed a lot since 2008.

hooked-real-motion-fishing-rod-attachment.jpg

Jack2000

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread, but the op has 1 post and the 5th post is a nice response to his question with a link to buy sunglasses also from a poster with 1 post. Looks kind of spammy, not that that negates the good responses from other posters, I just feel a little jerked around when I notice stuff like that.

For what it's worth I've had good luck with amber polarized hobies for fishing.

BernardMN

Reaction score
BDC2823,
I have some friends who do well using flies from a small boat in Newport Bay for Calicos and Sand Bass. Good call. Things a tad nutty right now so sorry for the hasty response. Stay in good contact, maybe we can hit the water sometime in 2011. Meantime, this is a fun site: http://www.fliflicker.com/
B

jaygee

Reaction score
Ones that magnify.

"No, no honey It's true. It really was this friggin big! I saw it with my own eyes"

andrew96

Reaction score
Why are you asking here? Watch for Wiley X, Native, Costa Del Mar's, Maui Jim's and Revo's. Fishing glasses are about functionality, not looks. Get large framed glasses, full wrap around. Grey is the best colour, but others will work. Don't be afraid to spend a lot of money, $100 plus, some up to $300. Don't trust these guys, they don't know what they're talking about. Check out these sites. pierandsurf.com stripersonline.com ncangler.com catfish1.com

Icehawk

Reaction score
You guys are hilarious - you do realize the OP and several other posters are auto-spambots, right?

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Depends on what you want them for. If you're flats fishing in the tropics, you will need a very dark lens. For trout fishing, my current favorite fishing sunglasses are by Kaenon Polarized.

The model is the "Kore" with C-50 Lens.

I bought these sunglasses for only one reason. They allow the most light transmission for any polarized sunglasses that I know of. Kaenon sunglasses are available with a number of different lenses, and the C-50 lens is copper colored (hence the "C") and allows 50% visible light transmission. Typical polarized fishing sunglasses allow about half that amount of light. For example, my Smith/Action Optics sunglasses with a polarized, photochromatic "all conditions" lens allows a maximum of 28% light transmission.

So why am I looking for sunglasses that don't block the sun? It's because when I fish, I need the polarization feature to cut the glare and allow me to see into the water, but I don't often need a really dark lens. I don't fish on white sandy beaches or other super bright places. I typically am fishing on mountain lakes or streams. It's sometimes shaded, sometimes cloudy, and I sometimes fish until the evening.

A lens that blocks 50% of visible light is fine for these conditions. In fact, I've found that my depth perception and general vision tends to be better if my sunglass lenses aren't too dark. Like a camera lens, your eye focuses more easily if the pupil is not too dilated. With darker sunglasses, I would often remove my sunglasses when threading hooks and tying on flies. I could just see more clearly and focus better without them. With the Kaenon's bright lens, this is no longer an issue.

The quality of these lenses is superb. They are made from a new plastic material that Kaenon calls SR-91. It's lightweight, strong, and has excellent optical clarity. I am pretty sure that the lenses are made from the same material that the new Julbo mountaineering lenses are made from, (that Julbo calls "NXT".) In the light, C-50 tint, the lenses just seem to sharpen everything up, and they are just dark enough to be soothing to the eyes. Even when the sun is shining brightly, I don't experience any eye fatigue from fishing all day.

The frames are very comfortable and reasonably light weight. I can wear them all day long without noticing that I have them on. The sunglasses come in three different lens sizes. I just ordered a medium, and it seems to fit me well. If you've got a small or large face, you have the option of buying the Kore with small or large lenses. They came with a nice case and a soft bag. Overall, I am very pleased with the Kore sunglasses.

I bought them thinking that I would use them only in low light situations such as dawn and dusk. However, they work so well that they have become my primary fishing sunglasses even in bright light. About the only thing I don't like about them is the price. At around $200, they are pushing the edge of what I'm willing to pay for a pair of sunglasses, no matter how great they are.

And, just in case you're wondering, I fish a lot. (2-3 days a week during the summer and fall.)
I've used sunglasses by Maui Jim, Action Optics, Julbo, Oakley, and others.

kore.jpg

Wow!! dude that's a lot of information you've provided there.

Thanks I think I have all I want as far as glasses for fishing is concerned due to your post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads