• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should my 7th shoe be?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I have so far. What should my next one be?

Light brown wingtip (AE Macallister in walnut)
Light brown captoe blucher (AE something or other in walnut)
Brown single monk strap (Peal & Co.)
Black balmoral captoe (Peal & Co.)
Brown penny loafer (Peal & Co.)
Alden Indy Boot in brown Chromexcel

I'm thinking either a https://www.styleforum.net/~styleforumadmin/styleforumfinal/emojione/assets/png/00ae.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]-Double-Monk-Straps/MH00194,default,pd.html?omnpp=remembered%20items]brown suede long wing or https://www.styleforum.net/~styleforumadmin/styleforumfinal/emojione/assets/png/00ae.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]-Double-Monk-Straps/MH00194,default,pd.html?omnpp=remembered%20items]brown suede double monk. Or possibly a slightly dressier boot to wear in inclement weather but that would still look good with wool trousers or even a suit.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

forseti6

Reaction score
You have a lot of brown and only one pair of black. Perhaps a pair of black double monks or black cap toe or wingtip boots?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
What's the goal of the 7th shoe? Have you found yourself reaching for a shoe that you don't currently own? I'm not the biggest proponent of expanding a collection for the sake of acquisition, so I'd know what I needed before I started my hunt.

In terms of versatility you can't go wrong with a snuff suede chukka, IMO.

Last edited:

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was about to say the same thing. I love mine, they are great for vacations because you don't really need to pack anything else.

That being said, it depends on your needs and preferences. I wear a suit most days and like black shoes with suits so my other choice for next pair would be another pair of black cap toe or punch cap oxfords... :hide:

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have a lot of brown and only one pair of black. Perhaps a pair of black double monks or black cap toe or wingtip boots?

Get something in black calf

hmm, it's true. I love my black calf cap toes, but what other shoe would I possibly need in black that fits well in the city-country continuum? Also, I haven't really considered cordovan yet. Maybe this would differentiate enough?

What's the goal of the 7th shoe? Have you found yourself reaching for a shoe that you don't currently own? I'm not the biggest proponent of expanding a collection for the sake of acquisition, so I'd know what I needed before I started my hunt.

Yes, I do want a snuff suede chukka—probably an Alden flex-welt one to replace my aging and falling apart desert boots, which I wear all the time 7 months out of the year.

I do think a suede long wing or double monk would fill the gap in the fall/winter months with flannels and jeans, though I also understand some believe that suede makes a good complement in summer time…

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm, it's true. I love my black calf cap toes, but what other shoe would I possibly need in black that fits well in the city-country continuum? Also, I haven't really considered cordovan yet. Maybe this would differentiate enough?
Yes, I do want a snuff suede chukka—probably an Alden flex-welt one to replace my aging and falling apart desert boots, which I wear all the time 7 months out of the year.
I do think a suede long wing or double monk would fill the gap in the fall/winter months with flannels and jeans, though I also understand some believe that suede makes a good complement in summer time…

Suede + Tweed x Long Wing + Double Monk. One pair of shoes with all igents favorites!

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get another black shoe. You already have the requisite black cap toe. I take it from your current collection that you don't have to wear super-conservative shoes to work. You don't seem to have anything in merlot/burgundy, so that would be my suggestion. Maybe a wingtip in this color or in shell #8?

I would avoid the double monks for now. Anything suede seems like a good option, or possibly a Chelsea boot. What about a suede Chelsea boot?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't get another black shoe. You already have the requisite black cap toe. I take it from your current collection that you don't have to wear super-conservative shoes to work. You don't seem to have anything in merlot/burgundy, so that would be my suggestion. Maybe a wingtip in this color or in shell #8?

I would avoid the double monks for now. Anything suede seems like a good option, or possibly a Chelsea boot. What about a suede Chelsea boot?

Correct. I can wear basically anything I want.

I haven't looked at Chelsea boots very closely before. Interesting suggestion. I tried one pair on one time years ago and couldn't get a right fit, but that was just one pair from one brand.

Okay, so here's what I'm hearing are the best options:
- snuff suede chukka
- snuff or brown suede long wing
- cordovan anything
- calf boot (a la chelsea or possibly a wingtip lace-up boot)

amckeague

Reaction score
Correct. I can wear basically anything I want.
I haven't looked at Chelsea boots very closely before. Interesting suggestion. I tried one pair on one time years ago and couldn't get a right fit, but that was just one pair from one brand.
Okay, so here's what I'm hearing are the best options:
- snuff suede chukka
- snuff or brown suede long wing
- cordovan anything
- calf boot (a la chelsea or possibly a wingtip lace-up boot)
I would rank those options as follows, especially knowing you and your style:
  • calf Chelsea (although wingtips look great, I think something a little more basic may be a nice break in your case - Also, I just can't get in to black wingtip boots.)
  • (TIE) cordovan anything (it may be nice to work a cordovan boot in there, which would blend nicely with casual and dress IMO.)
  • (TIE) snuff suede chukka (again, knowing you, I'm pretty sure this would be the shoe you'd wind up wearing the most, so maybe it should be at the top...)
  • longwings (again, not my preference, I know they'd work well with your style, but I feel like going more basic may be best move.)

However, with that said, I really want to add a pair of black Chelsea boots to my closet, even though I should be adding more practical options right now, so that very well could be why those are ranked at the top of my list for you.

Also, I'm hoping this gets glossed over by the majority of folks as I'm a longtime lurker, and this is my first post...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads