• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I wear with this brown moleskin bomber?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I tried it with a blue and white button down (should probably have left it untucked), navy polo and finally a light coloured t-shirt , all with jeans as I think this is a super-casual jacket. Then tried it with a pair of tailored chinos just to see how it went with something a little sharper.
What do you guys think am I on the right lines? Any tips on styling this better?

PXL_20220624_130844256.jpg PXL_20220624_131213016.jpg PXL_20220624_131016650.jpg PXL_20220624_132453296.jpg

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried it with a blue and white button down (should probably have left it untucked), navy polo and finally a light coloured t-shirt , all with jeans as I think this is a super-casual jacket. Then tried it with a pair of tailored chinos just to see how it went with something a little sharper.
What do you guys think am I on the right lines? Any tips on styling this better?

View attachment 1806209 View attachment 1806210 View attachment 1806211 View attachment 1806212

I think the chinos look better

T shirt looks best of the tops

Maybe darker jeans and brown desert boots would work, if you want to sharpen it up, but stay casual??

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a Valstarino or something very similar.
Simon Crompton wrote about this jacket and some outfits here: https://www.permanentstyle.com/2017/12/a-casual-capsule-the-valstarino-jacket-three-ways.html

You have some of the same elements (e.g. first outfit with blue OCBD and jeans). But what stands out to me is that this type of jacket works best in a sleek Italian casual vibe. The jeans and chinos just don't have the right silhouette for this aesthetic. You want trousers that are of the correct length and hang more neatly for this kind of outfit, especially the chinos. Hemming rather than cuffing the jeans also goes better with this look. Also, the chinos are of similar lightness to the jacket -- I'd have gone with something lighter for more contrast. Finally, a plain white or light/mid-grey T-shirt would work better than that color IMO. It is too close in color to your own skin.

Last edited:

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Looks like a Valstarino or something very similar.
Simon Crompton wrote about this jacket and some outfits here: https://www.permanentstyle.com/2017/12/a-casual-capsule-the-valstarino-jacket-three-ways.html

You have some of the same elements (e.g. first outfit with blue OCBD and jeans). But what stands out to me is that this type of jacket works best in a sleek Italian casual vibe. The jeans and chinos just don't have the right silhouette for this aesthetic. You want trousers that are of the correct length and hang more neatly for this kind of outfit, especially the chinos. Hemming rather than cuffing the jeans also goes better with this look. Also, the chinos are of similar lightness to the jacket -- I'd have gone with something lighter for more contrast. Finally, a plain white or light/mid-grey T-shirt would work better than that color IMO. It is too close in color to your own skin.

Yes I've seen that article and it's the reason I chose a blue striped shirt and jeans for one of my options! Simon's jacket is suede though and mine is moleskin. Is it this detail (more formal?) That makes his look ok with the shirt and polo and mine not so much? Or is it something to do with the cut/fit which I know Simon is always very particular about, with his penchant for bespoke clothing, and me being generally restricted to off-the-peg?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's suede vs moleskin as I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from these photos.
Yes, I think the biggest difference is silhouette and to a lesser extent fit. To me, "fit" is a difficult term because it doesn't have a strict definition. Sometimes people conflate fit with silhouette or style. I have wide-legged, very casual summer trousers that are a little cropped and have a 9" hem opening. These "fit" me. But obviously the silhouette is very, very different from my wool dress trousers that are creased, narrower in the leg (8" hem opening) and longer. They go with very different outfits even though they both "fit" me.

Getting the silhouette right is obviously harder with off-the-peg clothing than it is with custom clothing, but it can certainly be done unless you have a very unusual build. It does require going beyond asking "do these fit me" (in the case of chinos, just looking at waist and inseam measurements, for example) and asking whether their silhouette is compatible with the overall look you're trying to achieve.

I do think that if you had your chinos and jeans hemmed so that they were the correct length (this is a "fit" issue) they would work better. I am not convinced that that would be enough for these particular outfits but they would generally look better on you.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I don't think it's suede vs moleskin as I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from these photos.
Yes, I think the biggest difference is silhouette and to a lesser extent fit. To me, "fit" is a difficult term because it doesn't have a strict definition. Sometimes people conflate fit with silhouette or style. I have wide-legged, very casual summer trousers that are a little cropped and have a 9" hem opening. These "fit" me. But obviously the silhouette is very, very different from my wool dress trousers that are creased, narrower in the leg (8" hem opening) and longer. They go with very different outfits even though they both "fit" me.

Getting the silhouette right is obviously harder with off-the-peg clothing than it is with custom clothing, but it can certainly be done unless you have a very unusual build. It does require going beyond asking "do these fit me" (in the case of chinos, just looking at waist and inseam measurements, for example) and asking whether their silhouette is compatible with the overall look you're trying to achieve.

I do think that if you had your chinos and jeans hemmed so that they were the correct length (this is a "fit" issue) they would work better. I am not convinced that that would be enough for these particular outfits but they would generally look better on you.

These jeans and chinos are actually straight out of the box and unaltered (in theory the chinos shouldn't need altering as they are from Spoke and supposed to be custom fitted but I think something has gone wrong!)

I will post another couple of pics shortly with a pair of jeans that have been altered for length, and would appreciate your feedback on the difference it makes, towards creating the sort of effect that Simon is able to convey.

Of course there is also the fact he is slightly taller and slimmer than me, which is generally considered to contribute to a man "looking good" in clothes. I console myself with the fact that I have more hair. We are the same age.

Edit: so this is with jeans that fit me and a shirt that is more similar to the one Simon wears. Does this look a little sharper/ more put together?

PXL_20220624_230413074.RESTORED.jpg PXL_20220624_230347820.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads